• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

tube magazines

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Classic? Audio Update. Ran in the late '70s-early '80s. First place I ever saw tube circuits using a CCS, diode biasing, servos, speaker basket damping, active solid state regulation, balanced feedback...

More classic? Audio Engineering, later Audio. In the '40s and '50s, even into the first few years of the '60s, it had serious technical articles and lots of construction projects.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Merlinb said:
Wireless World
Practical Wireless
Radio Constructor

Ok, they're not strictly 'audio' magazines, but they did include audio features in pretty much every issue.
The only one published currently is Audio Xpress I think, which is not purely about valves (and is a bit amateurish IMO).

That is for the English speaking world.. Italy has Costruire HiFi and Japan has the truly amazing MJ (Musen too Jiken) Both IMO worth the trouble of acquisition.. There are also several good French magazines like Revue du Son, (gone?) Nouvelle Revue du Son etc.. Older issues did have construction articles.

There are also a number of online magazines like Positive Feedback Online (I write for them) which has the occasional interesting tube project.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
kevinkr said:

That is for the English speaking world.. Italy has Costruire HiFi and Japan has the truly amazing MJ (Musen too Jiken) Both IMO worth the trouble of acquisition.. There are also several good French magazines like Revue du Son, (gone?) Nouvelle Revue du Son etc.. Older issues did have construction articles.

There are also a number of online magazines like Positive Feedback Online (I write for them) which has the occasional interesting tube project.

Hi,

When "La Revue du Son" gets mentioned I automatically think of Jean Hiraga, Pierre Lurne and a raft of other truly inspired authors writing for "L'Audiophile".

While not very technical but still very much avant garde in the anglosaxon world people like Jimmy Hughes of Hi-Fi Answers come to mind.
The magazine basically killed itself by being too uncommercial but those where the guys that opened the proverbial Pandora's box to many of us.

Among long time favourite reads were TAS, Stereophile and let's not forget Hifi-News and Record Review's master tubeophile Ken Kessler's review of the High-End gear of yesteryore....

Other than reader mags about tubes a good start to any of us has always been the old RCA Tube Manuals for sure.
Reissues of "Audio Anthology", "The Audio Amateur" will show you the history and to some point the decline of audio reproduction in the home but what you need most is common sense and a well trained paired of ears.

It still surprises me that so many obvious questions such as "Do all cables sound alike, do all resistors sound alike, what about caps, etc. are still questioned today....
In those days we had one major advantage in that economies were still thriving allowing us to listen more carefully with a less worried mind to what were to my mind superlative recordings on superlative systems.
Call it nostalgia but I can hardly see any true progress in so called modern music reproduction. Guess I'm getting too old.....

There were plenty fine German mags as well, rather technical but clearcut and well thought out.
Those German mags and books are a treasurethrove of technical knowledge far above anything else I've come across.

The Japanese are truly amazing for their painstakingly copying and improving on someone else's ideas. They're rarely innovative but they're always passionately in search of the audio grale.
A true audiophile community with tons of experience.
Not necessarily scientific but with results to show for their work. I like what they do.

Still, if you want to learn about audio and it's history I think the best way to go about it is to study and read electronics books from around the Fifties, Sixties area.
There's sooooo much floating around from those days you'll hardly have time to read a magazine anyways....

Do keep in mind that any mag has to rely on its resources to stay afloat which boils down to advertising, advertising and yet more advertising. So take most of them with a pinch of salt.

I know alot of people that know more about electronics than most of us ever care to know but few of those have the heart and ears for music.
You can listen, you can read and try to learn but if you can't feel it's ultimately an effort wasted. Music is all about your senses, your heart and soul, not about what the measurements tell you to hear.

Ciao, ;)

The Japanese "Tube Kingdom".

44.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.