• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tube-I-zator Professional PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Pinocchio
I am studying the possibility of adding a tube-i-Zator my buffalo II. My setup is normal stereo.
Grateful to publish a circuit diagram and comment on how close the circuit, critical values ​​of the resistors, etc.. In short, watch a bit like what you have mounted. With their experience may provide the opportunity for novices like me to try a similar project.

Hi Studiostevus,

I have built a dual mono Buffalo II with Tube-I-Zator output and it sounds incredible. I have no such problems on harmonics as you are stating. This is most probably due to the Tube you use. On my side, I'm using the TJ Full Music 12AX7 and they sound extremely good. I'm getting a really wide and deep stage with lots of air. Bass is tight and deep. Imaging is excellent.

I also have dual Legato 3.1 SS output but for now I prefer the Tube-I-Zator.

One thing to keep in mind is the component choice you're using... I was using PRP resistors at the beginning for Rk and R I/V and although they sounded good, when I moved to TX-2575 it was a big WOW! Output caps are also extremely important... I'm using the Clarity Cap MR series which are really good but LONG to break... I was almost getting desperate here... The Mundorf Silver Gold Oil is preferred by many but the best is the Duelund Cast PIO but are impossible to buy by the common mortal!

I will post pictures of my setup at a later time.

Ciao!

Looking forward to the photo's :)

Here's a few pics of the Dual Mono Buffalo II and Tube-I-Zator

The hookup is NOT final. It is still a "prototype" but sounds amazing already!

I'm currently using TX-2575 resistors (see near tubes) and R I/V is currently set to 56R. Russ from TwistedPear Audio suggested I try 28R - 32R which I will.

I will post hookup diagrams this week for people interested.

Ciao!

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 990
  • IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0075.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 929
  • IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 907
  • IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 871
  • IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 858
  • IMAG0079.jpg
    IMAG0079.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 430
  • IMAG0080.jpg
    IMAG0080.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 432

I'm currently using TX-2575 resistors (see near tubes) and R I/V is currently set to 56R. Russ from TwistedPear Audio suggested I try 28R - 32R which I will.

Ciao!

Looks great, always interested in whatever you are prepared to share. My one will eventually be the cheaper stereo version, unless the obsession grows stronger from seeing your project :)

Thanks to all for the nice comments!

I'm planning the following upgrades soon.

1 - Change the filtering Caps from 220uF 450V to 470uF 450V
2 - Change the Clarity Cap MR to Mundorf Silver Gold Oil

For those interested, I can sell the Clarity Cap MR for 180$ shipped for the four of them. They have about 100 hours in so they're fully "bloomed" . Never heard the Mundorf silver gold oil but at 115$ a piece I hope I will like them... I will give 4x 220uF 450V caps to the person buying this. Two of them are fully new and two have 100 hours. Those are the recommended caps in the BOM for the Tube-I-Zator.

I will keep you updated of any changes in the project!

Do

if you have room i suggest you to use a CLC filter instead of crc, use a cheap hammond 9H 40mA between the two filtering caps, way better than a resistor and cheap, 10€ here in europe

In Canada it is around 17$ which is about the same as you. The only thing I'm wondering is usually, with chokes you have to go really high end for it to sound good. I might try this later on but I will give priority to my output caps for now.

Thanks for the suggestion
Do

Joined 2009
Paid Member
6n2p or 6n6p, what is best for the buffalo in the tube-i-Zator?

In principle you could use every double-triode, but you must pay attention to their electrical characteristics:

6N2P/ECC83

Iheater: 340 +/-35mA
Uanode: 250V
Ianode: 2,3 +/- 0,5mA (each triode)
µ: 100

6N6P

Iheater: 750 +/-70mA
Uanode: 120V
Ianode: 28 +8/-7mA (each triode)
µ: 22

1st - If you would like to use the 6N6P, we have ~1,5A current on the heater psu.
You must pay attention, that your transformer could handle that.

2nd - The HV-PSU must handle much more current for the B+. Also the 6N6P use lower voltage, so you must calculate all parameters new (including the SSHV).

3rd - The voltage gain factor is smaller (22).

The impact to the SQ is the big "?"

:wave:

Ciao!

Great finishing!!!! Phewwwwwww......

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I wonder where to buy the main trans for the Zator? Thanks.

You could order a custom made at AE-Europe, that´s my transformer source, with the following secondary taps:

150V-120V-0-120V-150V / 0,1A

150V tap for use with the onboard HV-PSU and additional SSHV shunt module
120V tap for use with the onboard HV-PSU
additional red values only for external tube rectifier usage

9V-0 / 2A

for the onboard Heater-PSU

Another source is the one from headrott in post #523.

:wave:

Pinnochio, What capacitor you use for the Heater? Looks nice.

I was thinking of using Vishay BC for both 470uf and 220uf. Is that fine?

Hi Wwan,

for the heater caps, I'm using Panasonic FC. I believe they're 25V rated. If you need the part number I can find out for you.

I used the Nichicon KX as found in the BOM for the 220uF and the 470uF. My pictures don't show a 470uF but a 220uF but I did change it to 470uF recently.

Vishay BC caps are really good as well. Cornell Dubelier (CDE) has some pretty good caps as well in the 38X series.

Thanks
Do

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.