Tube for high input Z

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If cathode and screen are at the same AC potential, it's a pentode. If the plate and the screen are at the same potential, it's a triode.

A pentode CF would look like the attached.

Attachments

• pentode cf.jpg
    pentode cf.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 85
I think if the g2-cathode voltage swing is approximately equal to the plate-cathode or output signal swing, it's going to follow the triode characteristic.

By contrast, a pentode follower would swing g2 with the cathode, much like a cascode or triode ACF would swing the plate with the cathode. I have a sketch of one of these I'd like to try...

I vote "triode".

Oops lots of posts... SY has the pentode version in #44.

Screens bypassed to ground with unbypassed cathodes will produce UL behavior. As plate falls, cathode rises, so G2-K voltage falls, but not as much as A-K.

It doesn't matter if the cathode is driven by something else (like NFB) or itself, cathode voltage is cathode voltage.

You know Tim; Steerode sounds better for me than UL. UL is associated with taps in output transformer, while Steerode may be used as a common name that includes UL. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.