Tube buffered transformer volume control (TVC)

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You want to know too much :)
I do not have all the info right now.
Its aikido cathode follower run mostly 12au7.

Attachments

• 20221230_113048.jpg
    20221230_113048.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 20221230_113134.jpg
    20221230_113134.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 217
Ok. Several monts ago I designed a buffer around a 8BU11 or 6BH11 compactron tubes with lots of gain (>300) but with strong negative feedback for a Baxandall tone stack. It has 4 loops: two of positive feedback and 2 of negative. If you are interested, I draw it and offer it tested.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Try to search used S&B (Stevens and Billington) TX-102 TVC.
It was -originally- in Bent Audio TVC, in Music First, in Django etc.
I used it for more than a decade -in my CCS loaded #26 preamp- with satisfaction.

I also use Silk TVC. Almost as good as S&B.
I have Promitheus (very large nano core) AVC, but I haven't tried it yet.

The primary condition to use TVC/AVC the -relatively very small- source impedance.
If you can't guarantee low impedance source, the very large inductivity will be sound disappointingly.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have been having great fun with edcor transformers, the ones used in m2 or vfet by Mr. Nelson. Wired as autoformer. It sounds great followed by the tube buffer. I have not done exact measurements, but it seems like it amplifies signal 5x on pin 7. It is less on pin 6, likely 3x. Yes, only two amplification steps.
Yes, it does not offer 24 steps...so one still needs volume control in some other place.
Important thing, its cheap, its available, does not require any complicated wireing, no multiple switches, and even more importantly, it sounds great.
If its good enough for m2 and vfet, you can be sure it sounds great followed by clean tube buffer.
I will do some measuring and report back.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ok, more precise data. I applied 1kHz sine wave from tuner (sony 555 calibration tone), buffered through signal selector. Signal was exactly 1.0 V pkpk (382 mV rms) on the input of edcor, pins 1 and 3.
Output on pin 6 was 3.3 V pkpk (1.23 V rms).
Output on pin 7 was 6.1 V pkpk (2.26 V rms).
Not bad, free amplification.
I may measure distortion next.