• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp with no power switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
GoatGuy said:
So. Just replace the switch with a higher-amperage one. Seriously.
End of discussion in my book.
He said the switch broke - he didn't say how it broke. It could have been that the toggle came off in his hand or some other piece of plastic just snapped.

If it was back emf damaging the contacts then the best solution is not a bigger switch (unless the original was underspecified) but a cap or snubber across the transformer primary.

Its funny how amplifiers such as the Allen model 75 have lasted all these years without a soft start and with solid state rectifiers. I'm curious as to why some think its necessary to either have a rectifier like the 5AR4 or a soft start circuit. We aren't dealing with output tubes needing to be fed heater voltage first warmed up before the B+ is turned on. I don't see anything mentioned that has large transmitter tubes as output tubes that would need heater first followed by delayed B+.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.