Tube Amp for EL70 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
It is an amp question, yes, but I figured there are more EL70 listeners here and I know many of you are running tube amps, soooo...

Right now I am driving my dual-EL70 microTowers with a Grant Fidelity B-283 tube buffer (with NOS Mullards) + Yamaha R-S300 receiver.

It sounds fantastic. I am very, very happy with it and people comment all the time about how incredible my system sounds. I think the receiver is better than some might expect from a "mid-fi" unit.

Having said all this, I am growing more and more tempted to try a tube amp.

I have pretty-much decided already to buy the Musical Paradise MP-301 MkIII, and I just wanted to run this by you knowledgeable folks to see if you think this amp would be a good match with my EL70 towers.

Thoughts? Other suggestions in this price range? ($300)

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Some nagging questions in the back of my mind:

1) Will I really be able to tell the difference?
2) Will I miss the remote control, tone controls, continuously variable loudness control, etc. from my modern "ampliceiver"?

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am sure it will sound noticably different. I was just looking at one of thise amps for a friend that just picked up a set of uFonkenSET. If i had the spare cash, i'd already have one of those here.

dave

The option of rolling in some psvane KT88 tubes is very attractive!

Spare cash is an issue for me as well. I may actually have to sell other gear in order to justify the tube amp purchase (she's always watching!)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
What tube are you using? I have a tubeless one of those here.

dave

Tubeless?

I don't understand. It works without tubes?

It supports 6J1(P), EF95, 6AK7, CV4010 variants.

Mine came with Chinese 6J1 and I purchased a bunch of different ones from e-bay. Sylvania, Mullard, Raytheon, Russian Army ones, etc.

The NOS Mullards are my favourite so far. Very smooth. The Sylvanias are lively and "fast". The Raytheons are flat and fat (I think they are dead). The Chinese and Russians are OK, but I tend to run the Mullards all the time now. Just bought 2 more pair.

These are the Mullards I just bought... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290466468755

Last edited:
To address the original post's question - until I starting having issues with two different P/P EL84 amps that has since been quesstimated as bad rectifiers ( Sovtek 5AR4) and undersized fast blow fuse, I was driving my Castle / Towers with a Tubelab P/P ( Psvane 6BQ5 and 12AT7s- worth every penny as far as I'm concerned) at 12W and a DIY hack-job class A EL84 P/P at about 3.5W - neither ran out of juice for my needs.

I'll waffle a bit with the standard disclaimer "room/music/required SPLs" but I'd hazard a guess that if the MP301 is a real 6.5W of SE bliss, that'd quite probably be fine.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
To address the original post's question - until I starting having issues with two different P/P EL84 amps that has since been quesstimated as bad rectifiers ( Sovtek 5AR4) and undersized fast blow fuse, I was driving my Castle / Towers with a Tubelab P/P ( Psvane 6BQ5 and 12AT7s- worth every penny as far as I'm concerned) at 12W and a DIY hack-job class A EL84 P/P at about 3.5W - neither ran out of juice for my needs.

I'll waffle a bit with the standard disclaimer "room/music/required SPLs" but I'd hazard a guess that if the MP301 is a real 6.5W of SE bliss, that'd quite probably be fine.

Yes. I would guess the same. My SPL requirements are not extreme.

I have pretty-much decided already to buy the Musical Paradise MP-301 MkIII, and I just wanted to run this by you knowledgeable folks to see if you think this amp would be a good match with my EL70 towers.

The extra headroom of a PP EL84 amp might come in handy. You could run in triode for casual listening.

To address the original post's question - until I starting having issues with two different P/P EL84 amps that has since been quesstimated as bad rectifiers ( Sovtek 5AR4) and undersized fast blow fuse, I was driving my Castle / Towers with a Tubelab P/P

Is it still "down for the count", or did you get it fixed up?

jeff

Is it still "down for the count", or did you get it fixed up?

jeff

Wonderboy was going to bench test again with proper fusing - this one's already been converted to SS rectification - the lack of voltage drop and turn-on surge is likely the culprit. Maybe some thermisters on the HT secondaries wouldn't hurt either - if it's good enough for Jim McShane & Eli Duttman's El Cheapo circuit.... .

Maybe some thermisters on the HT secondaries wouldn't hurt either - if it's good enough for Jim McShane & Eli Duttman's El Cheapo circuit.... .

Also good enough for Pete Millett. The DCPP amp has a CL140 right after the diodes for that very reason.

Another option would be to add SS diodes to the 5AR4 plates. That way you would benefit from the tubes voltage drop and not have to worry about reliability.

jeff

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The extra headroom of a PP EL84 amp might come in handy. You could run in triode for casual listening.

jeff

Well, I am really only assuming that my SPL requirements are not extreme.

I am running my SPL meter right now with the volume as high as I reasonably ever might have it.

Listening to Adele (live, acoustic), 12 feet from the speakers, SPL hitting 98.6dB.

Will a small tube amp keep up?

EDIT:.....David Bowie just kicked in and this volume level is too much for me (or maybe it is the Raytheon tubes I just stuck in the B283). Anyway, peaks of 99-100 dB at 12 feet are about as extreme as I get. David Bowie (China Girl) hovering around 80dB peak at 12 feet is comfortably loud and very, very cohesive...

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Barenaked Ladies... and the Mullards are back in the B283. I just can"t do the Raytheons for very long. 85dB-ish peak at 12 feet is very comfortable with these tubes. Could probably push it more before it gets unpleasant.

Just trying to give you all a sense of my SPL expectations...

Listening to Adele (live, acoustic), 12 feet from the speakers, SPL hitting 98.6dB.

Will a small tube amp keep up?

Not a chance at that distance. At those levels, your Yamaha is probably getting close to it's rated output.

David Bowie (China Girl) hovering around 80dB peak at 12 feet is comfortably loud and very, very cohesive...

At that level, a small amp would be fine. You'd only need a couple of watts. Bump that up to 90dB, and you'll need 16 watts to produce that peak. Every 3dB increase, you'll need to double the power.

It sounds like your B283 buffer is adding a lot of distortion.

jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.