TU-8600 and Preamp?

Joined 2020
Paid Member
I ran my TU-8600 for about a year with the TU-8500 preamp. It sounds wonderful and the phono preamp is good for MM cartridges. Switching between sources is nice but I built Bonsai's X-Altra phono preamp and have really, really liked it.

The bad part is the X-Altra sounds terrible when I tried to feed it through the 8500-->8600. I am just swapping sources when I want to listen to something other than records.

I am the OP. After some research and a great deal of wavering, Decided to buy and build a Bottlehead Moreplay preamp. I don't really understand it, but the combination is superb. There's no loss of detail, just a ton of musicality. Tubes are the ones provided by Bottlehead. Don't have a clue as to what they are. Of course they're 6V6s, but I have no idea what variation or brand.

Attachments

• IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I am the OP. After some research and a great deal of wavering, Decided to buy and build a Bottlehead Moreplay preamp. I don't really understand it, but the combination is superb. There's no loss of detail, just a ton of musicality. Tubes are the ones provided by Bottlehead. Don't have a clue as to what they are. Of course they're 6V6s, but I have no idea what variation or brand.
I have been pondering over building the MorePlay. Alan, when used, do you open the pot on the 8600 all the way or did you bypass the pot all together?

btw I have built several 8600 and 8900's. To my ears and to several others who have come over to listen, the 8600 is still best with 300B tubes. 2A3 in 8900 is as good as it gets.

I have been pondering over building the MorePlay. Alan, when used, do you open the pot on the 8600 all the way or did you bypass the pot all together?

btw I have built several 8600 and 8900's. To my ears and to several others who have come over to listen, the 8600 is still best with 300B tubes. 2A3 in 8900 is as good as it gets.
In my setup, if I open the TU-8600 pot all the way, I don't have much room in the MorePlay pot. The 8600 pot is set at about 12 oclock.I've contemplated the 8900. Would love to try a 2A3 amp, but I'm already shuttling 3 amps in my 2 systems. Others are a Decware Super Zen and a Cary CAD300-SEI. Btw, even though the Moreplay is all point to point wiring, it's a pretty easy build.

In my setup, if I open the TU-8600 pot all the way, I don't have much room in the MorePlay pot. The 8600 pot is set at about 12 oclock.I've contemplated the 8900. Would love to try a 2A3 amp, but I'm already shuttling 3 amps in my 2 systems. Others are a Decware Super Zen and a Cary CAD300-SEI. Btw, even though the Moreplay is all point to point wiring, it's a pretty easy build.
Thx for the info Alan. I have had Decware and they pretty good. I sold most of mt tube amps but now building 8900 again just for 2A3 and the 8800 for all my pentodes. I am curious about Stereomour and how it compares to 8900. Btw I believe your 6V6 tubes come from Ukraine (Russian origin?) when they bought a batch of them sometime back.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It seems that designers got their inspiration from Raspberry Pi designers ;) What a terrible and unergonomic layout!

If we let this all happen volume control will eventually be at the backside and the mains connector at the front cover.

Last edited:
I already have a preamp module in my dac (spring 3) but want to try a tube pre on my amps (Stax 007T, CFA3, plus Im about to place an order for the 8900). The new 8550 does fit my budget and I dig the looks of the Elekit combo. I do not have a turntable now but maybe some day I will, so the phono pre is welcome but not decisive. I may miss the balanced out for the stax and CFA that I'd find in a Freya for instance..
At $1100 for a SE pre I dont really need, is there something else really obvious I should consider?

umm, this one does save substancial $$ but doesn't add anything to the table and I lose the phono, one headphone out, and I know nothing of the 6V6 it employs (took a while to even find what tube it uses). Ive never heard one (but I had a 8500 with upgraded tubes for a home demo once and loved).

That said... after your comment I looked into the BeePre 300b.. It's not a lot more than I inteded to spend, I may interchange the tubes with the 8900 (well, if I end up liking 2a3 more) and the site says it will have balanced XLR options (for the output, "with the implementation of a future shunt regulator upgrade package"). Plus, I suppose the 300b will add much more of the tube pre factor Im looking to begin with.

Finally, the local Elekit dsitributor has compelling deals, whereas I will have to figure out how to import a bottlehead to Brazil. In the end it seems the reasonable choice is to hold back the 8550 purchase at least before we can have some impressions