• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

TSSA V1.7 mosfet Current feedback amp module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Sonny,

Last Sunday, here in Montréal we had a DiY day and I decided to bring the TSSA with me. It was connected to a pair of Onken 95dB speakers and some Tad TD-2001 mounted on wooden horns. The source was a Hi-Res music server based on Volumio 1.55 and Pi 2 on AK-4490 DAC. It sounded delightful!

Ciao!
Do

Looks like a nice DIY day. I have just seen the pictures from the DIY Day 2015
:up::up:

Hi Sonny,

Last Sunday, here in Montréal we had a DiY day and I decided to bring the TSSA with me. It was connected to a pair of Onken 95dB speakers and some Tad TD-2001 mounted on wooden horns. The source was a Hi-Res music server based on Volumio 1.55 and Pi 2 on AK-4490 DAC. It sounded delightful!

Ciao!
Do

I have read you thread about the DIY day.

The problem is that you have on the ATS is due to the use of the Lateral Mosfet. I have come to the conclusion that the Lateral mosfet do the thermal limit them self. Therefore they also limit the maximum available current they can deliver. My amp runs on +/-36Vdc rails. if you go for an higher supply voltage the current they can deliver gets lower. They can deliver 16A but it is most likely when they are cooled down to 25 degrees celcius.....
So the better cooling you can give them, the more current they can deliver.... Due to the positive temperature coefficient

The problem is that you have on the ATS is due to the use of the Lateral Mosfet. I have come to the conclusion that the Lateral mosfet do the thermal limit them self. Therefore they also limit the maximum available current they can deliver. My amp runs on +/-36Vdc rails. if you go for an higher supply voltage the current they can deliver gets lower. They can deliver 16A but it is most likely when they are cooled down to 25 degrees celcius.....
So the better cooling you can give them, the more current they can deliver.... Due to the positive temperature coefficient

But the ATS were not tested on the TSSA, only tested with the Onken, which played beautifully. The problem happened with another amp on ATS speakers.

Looking forward to V4 and V8

Ciao!
Do

Joined 2011
Paid Member

Hello, Sonny:wave2:

Do these findings somewhow influence the way we should bias our amps?
I'm with v1.6, and I do bias it near 800mA when warm.

Hi Just some progress here.

In the future all new amps will be mounted on an baseplate.

So the TSSA V4 and TSSA V8 will share the same baseplate. 170x70mm 5mm thick.

For the TSSA V2SE the baseplate will be 80x70mm 5mm thick.

All mountingholes are 5mm for 4mm screws.

This should make it easier to mount them on an heatsink as there is only 5 mountingholes on the big plate and 4 and small one.

Only things necessary is thermal grease.

For the curious ones. The TSSA V2 SE is meant as an stepup in performance compared to the TSSA V1.7 / V1.8.

TSSA V1.8 will not be discontinued!

But if you want to go for the best of the best parts then the TSSA V2 SE should be the choice. it will have 50% more current capability. Resistors will be thin film all over the place and Capacitors the best we can get.

Feedback resistors will be Y11691K00000T9R and Y116950R0000B9R which is Vishay Metal foil types, type SMR3D. if you google the price of the metal foil resistors you will see that they cost 60€ per channel alone for 4 resistors.

The base plate is ordered, but we will do the TSSA V4 and V8 first. Only if thing turns out differently the order will be changed.

Attachments

• TSSAV2SE_mountingplate.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 126
  • TSSAV4_mountingplate.pdf
    30.9 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.