• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TSE checkout-unable to adjust 5842 voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope you all had an enjoyable and safe 4th of July. I kept getting drawn back to the TSE.

With the 5842's in I get the correct 6v heater voltage. I am still unable to adjust the voltage @ the plates more than a couple volts off 90v. I proceeded. I connected a resistive load and installed the 45's. I set the current at 25mA. Left it for about 5 min. B+ was at 312v. I turned it off and hooked up speakers. I turned it on and had music, very low volume music though. I only had my iphone for a source but I left it on for about 30 min, the 45's current stayed at about 25mA, B+ settled at 311v.

I tried adjusting the plate voltage of the 5842's while the amp was on with the 45's installed and found I could adjust 1 to about 125v but the other wouldn't go above 92v.

I had my iphone connected first with a 20K volume pot then directly.

Everett

For reference, I just measured my TSE across R10 & R21 at 2.64V. It's a 45 amp with 275 B+, and 28ma bias current.

The anodes of the 5842's are at approx 170V, close enough (I'm out of pot rotation and too lazy to change resistor values)

Are you using CC or MF resistors for R17 & R28?

Do you have access to a scope? Can you put a scope probe on the 5842 anodes?

Last edited:
I only had 1 pair of 5842 that I had ordered from a tube vendor as new and tested. I thought that would be enough to get me started. Well, today I received some more 5842's, installed a pair and was able to adjust the 5842 voltages to 175v. That's a first, it's always something I have overlooked, never the components. I guess I can't say that anymore.

Thanks to all who attempted to help with this. I leaned more than if it had fired right up. Happy Day!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.