Try Ambiophonics with your speakers

Elias, just a thought:
Would moving the outer speakers (G-D & D-G) into an arc - always at 55*, but so as to maintain equal distances - be better for time alligning of this 4 speaker setup? Or isn't that necessary with this arrangement?

I didn't try 4 speakers yet, but I believe situation is similar as with 3 speakers. If you are willing to remain in a center spot then circular arch is most likely better, but for any off center position more linear line arrangement is propably better.

For example here is my FDTD simulation of 3 speaker linear matrix wavefields for center panned sound for circular arch and line speaker arrangements:
The leading wavefront is cleaner for line arrangement and the sweet spot is much wider.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

- Elias

would have been nice indeed to know more.. I like the concept of being able to control the rear wave, dipoles can't do that (you can always tame the room though..) One could imagine such a speaker but "a la Elias" SSS? A one central tower doing it all, firing front, front/rear sides but avoiding ceiling and rear center?

what to think of this setup, said to work as the barrier but without it?

This is exactly the same setup used back in the 70's to generate faux quadrophonic sound, with the extra speakers placed to the side/rear of the listener. Dynaco even made and sold a "Quadaptor" to make it easier to do, with a level control for the extra speakers and a balance slider.

Not sure, but it seems like you were supposed to have an amp with the "-" speaker terminals tied together internally (i.e. common ground).

Here is a link to the manual, complete with schematic: http://www.the-planet.org/dynaco/Misc/Quadaptor.pdf

Cool speakers, mini Ambiophonics ready ? :)

MinuSkull par KUNTZEL+DEYGAS | Journal du Design

minuskull1.jpg

25gqidx.jpg

Cool! I will watch that thread :)

My 'stargate' project has been sitting in the garage for over a year now.
I decided to measure it's response, and it's actually quite good!
As you move off axis the level falls by about ten decibels. It's basicaly half a Paraline, so on one axis the level is consistent no matter where you are; on the other axis the beamwidth is very narrow, so if you move off axis the level falls by about ten decibels.

The technology was designed for line arrays; the narrow angle is designed so that you can put two cabinets right next to each other without creating issues.

But that's the same problem that we have with ambio, because the speakers are right next to each other.

P1011631.jpg

Here's a picture of the device; it's strange looking but it seems to work.

I have been reading about parametric speakers: extremely directional audio starting at around 200 Hertz on an ultrasonic carrier wave. Currently commercially available for use at atm's , shopping malls and exhibitions where only one person will hear the audio.
There is a kit on ebay from Japan at around $200 for a stereo set. The technology seems very cheap to implement: a bunch of tiny ultrasound emmiters and a low power amp with some digital signal modulation.
Well, I am very excited by this and expect that it might be the answer for crosstalk cancellation for the higher frequencies, as the current software does not, in my experience, deliver the goods without an obstrusive physical barrier support.
I´d love to hear your comments.
I can´t seem to post a valid YouTube link. Please check Woody Norris, Hypersonic sound and other inventions

Last edited: