Try Ambiophonics with your speakers

Those devices are highly portable and that's the way they are used. How does a stationary reproduction device fit in? There're already AirPlay enabled AVRs. I'm not sure this is what Ralph was thinking of when mentioning mobile devices?

Well, I'm on my iPad for hours a day on my couch, and in my bed before I go to sleep.

I'm sure Ralph was speaking of mobile devices as a source. He wasn't speaking of strictly pairing them with the jambox or the sound matters device.

How portable is the Smyth realizer?

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, I've already went through the users manual.
I could imagine setting up this system with a barrier.
That way you could have a crossfeed enhancement without the actual crossfeed!

Little expensive.
And I don't understand why it comes with the stax headphones and amp.
They could shave at least 500 of the price without them.

Last edited:
Actually, I've always thought about diy'ing a headphone with a focused line array of 1/4 inch drivers right to the front of the headphone ( basically touching the cheek bone ) and say a 1" driver aiming directly into the ear canal. Crossed at around 80 hz.

But every time I look into it, it's a dead end road :(

I can't find headphone drivers :mad:

I know that sennheiser and ultsasone angle their drivers,( and I've had both )
They are angled for a 90 degree soundstage. The image is bigger, but still in the head.

The drivers have to be right on the cheek bone, so they have to be really small. A line array would be the only way to reproduce a reference amplitude.

melo theory, please continue on your project. You will not have bass, but hanging some 2" speakers out by your eyes so ear ear hears only its speaker is an option I've wanted to try.

Norman

Oh, yeah....I've tried that. But the sound leaks to the opposite ear....

I'm talking about doing this with some closed cans.

Maybe I could use some cheap iPod style earbuds and set them up in a focused array, 4 for each side and wire them in series-parallel. Then DIY a closed can around them.

There won't be much bass because they are further away from the ear so they must be supplemented by a 1 incher firing straight in the ear....low passed of course.

Stereo is a sonic illusion and just as there are those who cannot see optical illusions that others see easily, so the stereophonic illusion varies with individuals. You are lucky that you can still resolve a center image as the stereo speaker angle goes to angles over 45 degrees. There are documented cases of individuals who cannot hear the center image at all at any angle. There is also no way to prove that the 60 degree angle is correct. It is just an empirical feeling that has evolved since Blumlein used this angle in 1931.

Ralph Glasgal

Thank you for this ! (I underlined)

Any references please ! I'm most interested !

- Elias

Stereo is a sonic illusion and just as there are those who cannot see optical illusions that others see easily, so the stereophonic illusion varies with individuals. You are lucky that you can still resolve a center image as the stereo speaker angle goes to angles over 45 degrees. There are documented cases of individuals who cannot hear the center image at all at any angle. There is also no way to prove that the 60 degree angle is correct. It is just an empirical feeling that has evolved since Blumlein used this angle in 1931.

all very true, conventional stereo is not based on any science

it is just a trick

my buddy tried something like this. Problem is when you have a bouncy camera (not on a tripod or rails), because that is all your eyes see, think blair witch project. Your ear says "hey, I'm not moving" while your eyes say "yes I am." It makes you dizzy or nautious.

Norman

What did he try? You mean wearing an hmd? Or hanging 2 inch speakers from the display.

Expand more on this please.