• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Troughline, Stereo 20, Technics 1200.Unhappy!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
bullpeters,at least the information on the Tetra is a step forward but there remains the question of how you utilize the stage gains to work with the Leak Stereo 20's high sensitivity of 125mV for 10 w o/p..Where is the volume control placed in the system and how do you switch from one item to the other?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
One more point,a previous post said 12AX7 valves were fitted to the phono pre-amp and I notice in the cct description there is an alternative given with frame grid double triodes,the 6DJ8.I presume the constructors manual indicates the correct values for the resistors for the chosen valves as they are dissimilar.

The Radio sounds awesome. full, rich warm and well balanced

A lot of EQ and other processing in the studio?

People assume that a mediocre analogue front end will sound amazing but that simply isn't the case. Analogue is tweaky and hard and always takes more effort that expected. At some stage i was stuck with a single turntable/arm/cart combo and the even though all the components were well regarded, they had no synergy and the sound was really unlistenable. These days i will not approach a new TT without a drawer full of cartridges and at least a couple of arms to play with. As for the riaa pre - it's more that capable of ruining the sound on its own.

I'm happy about the 'lick effect' !
:confused:

Analog, have you seen my system ?
Assuming that <radio> is an analog source with perfect behavior...
Well, it works quite well !
Probably the volume/input/presetEQ IC and the very short distances
between the sections, supply to the evident lacks of those components themselves ....( which lacks/issues :confused: )
These days i will not approach a new TT without a drawer full of cartridges and at least a couple of arms to play with

Have you ever think of having a one piece with no junctions ( that woukd be valid also for the cartridge pins, electrically speaking...) instead of the ISO
shells holder ?

Have you ever think of having a one piece with no junctions ( that woukd be valid also for the cartridge pins, electrically speaking...) instead of the ISO
shells holder ?

Not sure if i get your meaning right but if you mean not using headshells, then yes, none of my arms use headshells and at least one is rewired with a single piece of wire between cart clips and phono pre. Not sure why this would matter.

No, i haven't seen your system but at some stage have owned your Leak setup inclusive of the tuner (no stereo decoder though) and have a pretty good idea how those pieces sound.

While i have kept great memories from the sound of several tuners i still maintain that the sound coming from them, although pleasant is very heavily processed - it's in the nature of FM distribution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.