Troubleshooting your Symasym

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi keantoken,
With a DC offset that is happy below 5 mV, I don't see any need to worry about an improvement there. The distortion products are also very low. The thermal issues are what causes the small offset to be about 3X worse than when both parts are cold.

-Chris

Yipee !

Finally, i got some reasonable match for my drivers mje15030/1...
The result ? ~Factor 8 reduced thd...

Attached shot is from spectralab, same setup, still jfet version. (bjt is at least 2 times lower thd)
And: board layout not that bad... :)

This proves that the distortions i had in my measurings were caused by mismatch of these drivers.
That also means that close match of these drivers is mandatory for symasym...

BTW, i had checked minimum bias using MJL0281/0302... ~60ma (13mv across single RE) Bias below that showed higher order harmonics.

Tomorrow i have to find match for other channel and listen.

Mike

Pavel: Still "horrible" ? ;)

Attachments

• sym_jfet_dist1.png
    sym_jfet_dist1.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 360
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
This proves that the distortions i had in my measurings were caused by mismatch of these drivers.
Yup. ;)
That also means that close match of these drivers is mandatory for symasym...
I've been saying that for years about most amplifiers. Every complimentary part should be matched, including current mirrors and diff pairs. It does make a difference. It's nice you were able to prove this. Something I knew but had little prove of except in gross cases.
BTW, i had checked minimum bias using MJL0281/0302... ~60ma (13mv across REs) Bias below that showed higher order harmonics.
Thank you. My setup is inadequate for high performance amplifiers. I really have to get my bench sorted out. I'll turn my bias up and have a more careful listen. Mind you, with my wiring spread all over, other problems may swamp the bias issues out.

-Chris

Chris, never mind, my wiring is horrible... I will get better values replacing that wire nest.
Gladly, symasym does not need complementary matches except the outputstage. The drivers matching is here most important as these are connected directly to the vas having quite high outputimpedance. Any asymetric current suckout from the drivers will heavily increase openloop distortion.

Mike

Hi Al, the measuring was all the time ~1W into 8ohms. Need to get some nice power resistors on a heatsink for extended measurings.
I was hunting the strange too high harmonics / THD. I always thought i get half waves from the power supply into the signal, but i was way wrong !
Anyway, this powerlevel is ~typical listening level, the amp got even hotter during measuring than at listening into 4ohms.
And, the measuring is definitely in ClassAB condition.

Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
Any asymetric current suckout from the drivers will heavily increase openloop distortion.
I agree that's one very important thing. The reflected load should look relatively constant to the Vas. Of course this is not true in real life.

If you can get a hold of the Marantz 500 service manual you may find it illuminating. Keep in mind this amp was probably designed in 1968 for it's 1969 release. I think you will come away with a lot of respect for the design team. One important point lost an many is the input buffer. Newer Nakamichi receivers called it HTA. It presented the BJT diff pair with a low impedance source. (light should be coming on)
Hi Al, the measuring was all the time ~1W into 8ohms.
Crossover distortion is more easily seen at lowish powers, low impedance and higher frequencies. At higher power levels the effects of the Vas and other things become more visible.
For the output devices the hfe value is the most important. Vbe is practically unimportant.
Actually, I just go on hFE. Vbe differences will be small in comparison with other circuit imbalances. In the same batch of transistors the Vbe differences will be small anyway.

-Chris

Mike,

I have a huge problem...
ANY signal source I use in my sim (LTSpice) generates odd harmonics!

Does leaving the timestep blank make spice do an auto timestep? My computer isn't the fastest computer (Pentium 3 550Mhz, Win2k, 256Mb RAM), so I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. I have a screenshot:

Attachments

• supersimplemessedup.jpg
    supersimplemessedup.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 317
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mike,
If you are going to buy a hand held meter, Fluke or nothing. A used Fluke is better than all others new. Trust me on that one. In order, 189, 87V, 179. They can be seen here.
I hope I got the correct spot, I don't speak German.

For a bench meter, Agilent. Period, end 'o story. ;) Failing that, a Fluke bench meter. I bought an HP 34401A when they first came out. I've never regretted that purchase. My priorities may be different than your's though. The new ones are even better. Check out the AC frequency response on the Agilent. A used 34401A, plus a calibration will not steer you wrong.

-Chris

I have a Fluke DMM that measures capacitance (not as low as pF, though), resistance, diodes, frequency, voltage, and amperage. It's slightly old, but it works. I don't remember the model number because I would have to dig it up from the rubble that others call my room. I have way too much stuff... It's gonna all fall on me one of these days. :dead:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.