• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Trouble with Rod Coleman DHT reg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hmm I thought the 9 volt windings were each rated at 2 amps? A10% drop with a 1 amp load doesn't sound right and a +30% drop with a 1.4 amp load is not good. Is the primary voltage solid and does not go down at all, no load to 4 ohm load.

Well no drop of the primary voltage in any situation, it's steady at 230V

However I took measurements across the resistors not on the secondaries. If I take measurement right at PT secondaries with the two 8ohms res connected, I get my 9,5V

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mmm. That few cm of straight line on the diagram. I wondered where that volt drop was. Must have been very skinny cable! Don't feel foolish. It's a learning experience.
I was puzzled by the comparison of bridge rectifier input ac volts rms and dc output V. I believe it should be
1.41 x VRMS - (2 x 0.7) with your circuit. You measured the dc voltage as lower than ac rms. Maybe you weren't measuring rms.

Last edited:
I am back from travels now - sorry to be absent while you needed help! But I am ready, if you have questions about getting the best from the regulator.

Please don't be sorry ;), I wasn't expecting you to be at my disposal, people here where kind enough to help me with my problem (witch was, in the end, the dumbest possible).

Now that the PSU is feeding the regboard correctly, I'm in the process of etching a Pcb for it, then I'll pursue the tweaking o fthe reg, maybe I'll need your enlightements then.

Thanks a lot Rod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.