Trouble understanding pots/voltage dividers...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
voltage is the amount of force it takes to move a current through a resistive medium.

This is the problem imo. People use analogy and thus imagination. An EE once explained that a current is like people running bla bla bla...

Physics is actually simpler than Math, but among high students it seems that it is easier to get good Math score than Physics score.

but my analogy would be to pick up a rock and hold it in your outstretched hand, at shoulder height. Neither the rock, ground, or gravity has changed, only the relative positions. The energy used in lifting the rock is now kinetic energy, and potential for work, available by dropping the rock...

Yes they are similar. The same thing happens when we charge a battery to create voltage difference.

Good analogies can get you started, but eventually they can lead you astray, so remember that they are just analogies.

Yes, that's it. Imo analogies can be used when we already know the real situation so the analogy is used because we want to simplify the understanding or to think "faster". Such is like how music "flow" from the input of an amp to the speaker. Or how a capacitor "sends" treble to ground so speaker only reproduces lows.

Valve grids sometimes receive positive ions, so you could say the charge carrier there is a proton.

Jay said:
Physics is actually simpler than Math
I think it might depend on what you mean by Physics and Math. Proper pure maths is hard, but high school maths is generally easier than physics. Put the two together though and it gets hard! I think the most difficult course I ever attended was on applying the theory of fibre bundles and other topological ideas to statistical mechanics and ergodic theory. I managed to take notes, but I don't think I ever understood them.

A problem nowadays is that there are some people doing maths, but think they are doing physics. Even worse are the people who think they can do physics without doing maths. Maths is the language of physics, but it is not physics.

Physics is rearing its head more in high speed electronics these days where, looking at the signal flow in terms of waves through a medium is helpful in understanding the high speed propagation. Must admit its adding spice to my life relearning a lot of stuff I last did at college, though all those years ago it seemed much easier.
To add a bit more fun to the discussion electrons are lazy little buggers, and dont move far or very fast, 84mm per hour or somthing similar, so charge is electrons passing a certain point in waves of electrons, and AC signals are just electrons wobbling back and forth around a point.

Physics is rearing its head more in high speed electronics these days where, looking at the signal flow in terms of waves through a medium is helpful in understanding the high speed propagation. Must admit its adding spice to my life relearning a lot of stuff I last did at college, though all those years ago it seemed much easier.
To add a bit more fun to the discussion electrons are lazy little buggers, and dont move far or very fast, 84mm per hour or somthing similar, so charge is electrons passing a certain point in waves of electrons, and AC signals are just electrons wobbling back and forth around a point.

Adding Spice to your life eh Marc? Well they do say the old jokes are the best jokes! :D

Electrons are at their laziest where there's most of 'em available to do the conducting, they have to shift up a gear or two in semiconductors, and rather more in valves, where they do get moving quite quickly, to the point that they get heavier.

:)
Its more the spice based IBIS format, but there no humour in IBIS.
Now if someone can reccomend some beginers reading on waves and their relationship to particles, I would be most grateful.

Start with this book:
Understanding Physics, 3 Volumes in One: Motion, Sound & Heat; Light, Magnetism & Electricity; The Electron, Proton & Neutron (v. 1-3) [Hardcover]
-Issac Asimov (the sci-fi author)

Followed by:
The Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics
-Gary Zukav

Last edited:
The Zukav book has too much new-age interpretation of quantum physics for me to recommend it. I read part of it many years ago, but I don't recall if what he wrote about quantum physics was accurate or not.

I'll recommend "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose which spends much of the text describing quantum physics, even though his conclosion about AI is widely disputed. Maybe even John Gribbin's "In Search of Schrödinger's Cat."

For basic electronics, I've often recommended the second book here as I wrote in the wiki:
Electronics:Recommended Reading - diyAudio

I recall reading the Asimov series many, many years ago, they're good but out of print. Here's a link to sites selling used copies:
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?a...tle=Understanding+Physics&lang=en&st=xl&ac=qr

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.