troels design: peerless hds ppb 830860 + vifa xt 25tg 30-04 : Low volume tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm in need of some confirmation
troels design
the tweeter is a 3rd order filter
the woofer is a 2nd order filter with a band or notch filter:
what is actually the crossover frequency ?

The original design is 3K2.

What I changed basically was the tweeter response. By bringing more sensitivity or lift to the response, the crossover point should move to a lower frequency. 2K9 may be?

Please note I don't have the FRD files for this speaker. So it's only raw estimate.

thanks guys,

well after lisiting, i don't think i need more tweeter, i think i would need the tweeter faster.
that means that the upper range of the woofer needs a bit of tweeter. Maybe shifting from 3.2 to 2.9k might do the trick;

maybe the tweeter has to be lifted when the speaker hangs on the wall in the corner..; but in free from the wall i guess it is okee.
i should be able to run a frequency respone, i might set up my windows system, cause my tascam 144 does not cut it under linux.

well i'm gonna do a measuremnt, maybe it shows where things go wrong (or it proves that i need a doctor for my head);

greetz

haha, yeah tinitus, isn't that what we all want :)

an open baffle showed me the way once. but to pricey to get it all under control... 6 amps, digital EQ, and digital Xover... , so i stayed with full rangers.

i have not heard the owner of the speaker, but for me the speaker does not grow on me, the boominess is gone, but there is something wrong with the sound. maybe i should investigate in the construction itself. i start to wonder how air tight the construction is.
good lord, next time i'll build it myself. just to eliminate some parameters.
thanks

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
haha, yeah tinitus, isn't that what we all want :)

an open baffle showed me the way once. but to pricey to get it all under control... 6 amps, digital EQ, and digital Xover... , so i stayed with full rangers.

OB seem to may be a short cut on the way there, and I have found omni design do it too

maybe it has to do with different directivity issues

but that doesn't help you much right now

another question is if that 5" is the right driver
is it able to play better than what your hear

the box is made out of mdf 18mm. but it is a little box
outer diamter: 30cm*20*23 i think. i don't think it is a bracing problem. i play it on very moderate levels; the innerside has 0.6cm felt on it. and the speakers are heavy, my god i was forgotten how heavy it gets with mdf, i switched to birch plywood and will maybe stay with it.

to get back on topic: the box is not braced at all.
(i'll blow some air through the bass relfex port, if the wind is getting out, we have a problem houston)

i'll look into the omni design, i haven't heard of it; i'm not saying that open baffle is the only way to go, but it sounds very natural to me. I was planing to build Jim's open baffle, but i couldn't find a ff85k anymore (some shops told me they had them, but that wasn't true);

People like the Nomex (somewhat like paper) version of that same driver very much.

Try putting a brace on the front between the woofer & tweeter that extends a little back to the sides. Perhaps some damping, "roofing felt" then another 1/2" of baltic birch plywood on the sides would do nicely, don't need to worry as much about the bottom/back.

2" - 3" long (on the long side) "right" triangles of 1/4" hardwood plywood make good braces. ~ 1/2" hardwood dowels are also quite convenient braces to add post construction as you can simply drill 1/2" holes on either side and push it it through then trim it flush (use some glue).

Try lining the walls with fiberglass panels.

Would be good to see some measurements of the FR anyhow...

Last edited:
mmh, should that be the issue,
i like paper cones a lot. maybe not the most detailled sound but the sound is always very nice.

maybe i'm expecting to much, these are cheap drivers in a small enclosure... maybe i'm spoiled with a rather good fe167 MLTL speaker (with phase plug)...

still these babies gotto be better then this

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
how does the hole behind the 5" look

especially with such small driver it does matter
look here
chamfering driver holes

and if xo inductors are close together, they should be mounted correctly
look here
Placement of coils in crossover networks

is the xo layout exactly like original
component values etc
inductor resistance should be the same etc
Troels usually show it by a 'blank' resistor in schematic

edit
well, I see there is no xo layout shown in build manual
but I'm certain Troels do it like in his article about coil placement

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
translation from builder response(most of it)

I have to say, he does use a tube amp

Hei Troels!
Have built your Peerless HDS 830860/Vifa XT25.
Wow! a good loudspeaker!
Voices are beautiful, rich tone, good mid bass and surprisingly deep
Tweeter integrates very well with the mid bass (with 1.8 Ohm).
Very impressed with the midrange tone of these, here you have done a good job!

hello

i had to wait for the owner what he would like to do.

and he heard his speaker at my place, with the bass port a bit shorter, and he was very impressed with the sound. I must say i was too. I was listing to my fonken fe127 again but the "troels speaker" does a lot quite good. So my firend is not planning to go the extra mile and test the other filter, which is a pitty, cause i was dying to give it a try.
so very sorry for everyone who suggested some mods.

i guess the speaker is very revealing, with my tripath and gamma dac , the quality of the recording is very obvious. some recordings are dull other are have to much treble...

anyway, so far this story. (and i don't think the tweeter needs any modification, otherwise you really have much to much tweeter).

Last edited:
no problem tinitus, i was just waiting and waiting....
i have looked at your recommandations, but i followed close the advice of troels,

i will post some pictures when they are completely done, but my friend is already working 1 year on these speakers (hahah). so it can take a while.

what i will do is solder two wires over the 3.3 ohm resistor: the first resistor in the tweeter filter, cause he will put up the speakers near the ceiling in a corner. that should theoreticly bring up the lows with 9db; i guess at that point he will have to short the resistor to gain a few db's in treble. and that way he can experiment with some resistors without having to open the box.

at the moment i did not put any demping material in it. tomorrow i might find the time to test this.

greetz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.