Tripath TC2001 with GaN

Hi,
I've in the process of testing my new Tripath Class D amp (TC2001).

Design is based off the 41Hz Amp 4 schematic.

I've gone with GaN output transistors mainly because they don't have any reverse recovery so have much cleaner switching transitions.

Output filter is still a work in progress - currently running at 26uH inductor into C0G ceramics with the posibilty of adding a film if needed. Running at about 30kHz low pass as this will be used for a mid speaker (60-1.2kHz). Currently no Zobel which is why you can see a peak at 30kHz in the FFT. If anyone has any tips on filter implementaiton let me know. Scope is only 8-bit so can't measure accurately below about -60dB.

First test is into a 4R resistive load. I'll try running them into speakers later on this week when I'm happy with the performance.

Attachments

• 2024-03-22-12-04-28-803.jpg
    2024-03-22-12-04-28-803.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 107
  • scope_0.png
    scope_0.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 94
Finally got around to adding the zobel network (15.7R + 47nF cap) with an amobeads in each capacitor leg.

The idea of using amobeads was to supress the high frequency losses in the zobel resistors (everthing above ~300kHz) although other magnetic materials may be more suitable - it's just what I had on my desk.

The zobel has managed to get rid of the 30kHz filter resonance even with high impedance loads (15R).

I noticed that the output stage gain is a bit high when running from a 24V supply so this could be tweeked to improve SNR by a few dBs.
Next stage is to test with xover and speaker, and then to put it all in a box.

Let me know what you think of my progress or if anyone wants schematic or PCB layouts

Attachments

• scope_8.png
    scope_8.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 1 user