Tripath-Amp 1-B gain problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bgt said:
Thomas, just take the transformer out, unwind it and put 2 windings on. Thats all realy. You have to cut some pcb track underneath to make it a 2 supply line type of connection.

rt7085, the tone is unhearable in normal conditions and is not related to the psu. Tried that already.

Hi Bert,

easy for you :).

We poor people full of fears need some more instructions :bawling: .

Please, many people would try SMPS with class D, maybe you have invented something new that is worth to share! Could you post some more datailed instructions (type of wire, number of windings, winding technique, some picture... :) )

Or maybe you could sell custom transformer like yours. I would buy them immediately. I just need a couple for two bridged AMP1 or two new AMP4 just released from 41Hz.

Ciao

Thomas

thomaseliot said:
many people would try SMPS with class D, Could you post some more datailed instructions (type of wire, number of windings, winding technique, some picture... :) )
Or maybe you could sell custom transformer like yours. I would buy them immediately. I just need a couple for two bridged AMP1 or two new AMP4 just released from 41Hz.

the transf. can only take 150VA. They are not as nice as true smps's. They blow quite easy if you do something wrong to them.
I am getting some more of these so I'll keep you updated and post some pics. Tried the 220VA version with two UCD180's but it blew up at startup because of the 40.000uF caps.

Noise

Bgt, you said there was also some noise that would go away after 5 min. This may also be the supply, when it is pulse-skipping under light load conditions. If the supply warms up a bit, its operating point may shift slightly and it may slowly come out of pulse skipping or simply change it characteristics. Pulse skipping, in burst mode may also cause tones, which sound like 'birdies' (fluit toontjes...). This is because it bursts at a rate which is in the audio band. I had similar issues with a switcher amplifier fed by a boost-mode SMPS.

thomaseliot said:
I red that these trasformers have a minimum load. If it is true why your AMP1 works? Is it stable?150 VA are enough when using two, with two AMP1 bridged in 8 Ohm. SMPS are nice but i can't find something ready made, noiseless, suiteble for audio.

It works like a charm in my amp. No problem at all. No idling problem. Stable enough. Use it every day.

RT7085: It seems though the noise is an Amp1B problem. When starting the amp. you'll see the switching freq. change to a point were it settles. I will check again.

just testing it vs the UCD 180AD and use a lot of different music (classic, synthesized, voice) to hear the differences.
Bass reproduction is excellent(UCD's have a faster attack) and the highs are very present(a bit more than the UCD). Mid section a bit layed back. The amp. sounds utterly satisfying.
The UCD is the more balanced 1.

Bgt said:
just testing it vs the UCD 180AD and use a lot of different music (classic, synthesized, voice) to hear the differences.
Bass reproduction is excellent(UCD's have a faster attack) and the highs are very present(a bit more than the UCD). Mid section a bit layed back. The amp. sounds utterly satisfying.
The UCD is the more balanced 1.

Source and loudspeakers? Any preamp? Crossovers?

As I have a large classic music collection, quote some title you tried: we can reproduce togother the comparison.

Ciao

Thomas

thomaseliot said:
Source and loudspeakers? Any preamp? Crossovers?
As I have a large classic music collection, quote some title you tried: we can reproduce togother the comparison.

Source= PC dig.out - DAC(dig. in) - passive pre - power amp. - switch box - speakers. All DC coupled(not the amp1b's input section).
Speakers = Driade/JMLabs/Wharfdale.
Passive preamps with DACT SMD stepper or the Aussie stepper. Sold my NAD C272+C162 and rotel 980 series last year. They were no match for the UCD's.
crossovers = no.
Music = only wav files because mp3's are usually inferior quality.
You can find the titles in another thread where I compared the BP to the UCD's.

Thomas, there is nothing more difficult than comparing music from 1 person with his setup to the other with his setup. I can only compare if I have my own references otherwise "you're skating on thin ice"(Dutch sentence). You need some default amps. to compare to. Differences are not that big between amps. and to remember them is even harder. So I have a pile of class D amps. so I can get a honest picture and draw my conclusions. Also asking other people to listen to the differences helps a lot. 1 person(me f.i.) may be too focused on a mod. which he thinks is it and when another person(audio minded) listens to it he/her may find it insignificant.

Ok, did the transf. also.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

UCD still is more balanced, more depth. UCD highs are so d.mm clean. Also UCD bass is so tight/controlled and deep.
Did it improve....don't know yet. Have to play some more.
The Amp1B sounds impressive and if I did not have the UCD to compare to you would think...wow, but when you compare it.......hmmmm.....still not there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.