• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Trim-pots for KT88 Bias adjustments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As HollowState, I also use Clarostat pots (2W).
Those are industrial grade, sealed and offer a great adjustment sensibility. They can be locked also.

Out of curiosity, if you are looking for reliability and longevity, why don't you go KT120?
At a KT88 bias level, or even more those bottle will last you a very long time.
My 2 cents.

Safe grid bias adjustment as suggested rather than a 'loose' slider. One of our veteran members (forget who) suggested connecting the slider directly to the negative end of the pot, thus making it a variable resistor only. (In that case some recalculation will be necessary; a separate resistor in series on the negative end etc.)

The spec. for the highest value grid return resistor is supposed to be a 'safe' value, thus including worst case tubes. Thus an increased value often works, but at the peril of tube selection. It does of course include all of the resistance mbetween G1-cathode; in this case not overly in excess.

(OT, some history: I remember the days when the first Leak Stereo Twenty amplifiers saw light with all of 820K grid resistors for EL84s, spec then having been < 1meg. They soon had to recall the lot because of tube run-away, and the EL84 spec later changed to 470K maximum for cathode bias.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.