Tribute transformers for Apogee Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somebody wrote Tribute is "top notch".
Based on what? Thats just a question.
Based on actual user feedback, example: || DHTRob - Tubeamplifiers and fullrange units: A 1:2 interstage by Tribute ||

some importand details he never publish and in my personal opinion i think the costumer has the right to get good information.
And don't get me wrong, the same is for other brands.

(and Tribute is not in my list, specially because the lack of information).

So your issue is he doesnt publish all the details on his construction methods?

Based on actual user feedback, example: || DHTRob - Tubeamplifiers and fullrange units: A 1:2 interstage by Tribute ||

So your issue is he doesnt publish all the details on his construction methods?

Not even basic information as
- frequency response (domain 1Hz-1MHz for low and high power)
- copper losses

Some people think measurements are not important, the best transformer designers do think the opposite (Tango, Partridge, Monolith Magnetics).

Btw, your link shows 2 transformers i really not want to have for audio......

If he's your student, why do you have concerns over his workmanship?

Sounds like you have a vested commerical interest - IE you can do it better than him. Do you sell transformers (your username hints that you do, or you wind for one of those other manufacturers in the thread)? If so where is your website and specs?

If he's your student, why do you have concerns over his workmanship?

Sounds like you have a vested commerical interest - IE you can do it better than him. Do you sell transformers (your username hints that you do, or you wind for one of those other manufacturers in the thread)? If so where is your website and specs?

Just a hobby.

And i don't have to worry about his workmanship.....

Last edited:
Not even basic information as
- frequency response (domain 1Hz-1MHz for low and high power)
- copper losses

Some people think measurements are not important, the best transformer designers do think the opposite (Tango, Partridge, Monolith Magnetics).

Btw, your link shows 2 transformers i really not want to have for audio......

So here our opinions clearly differ, since I stop caring about measurements when it is cheaper and sounds better on top..

So here our opinions clearly differ, since I stop caring about measurements when it is cheaper and sounds better on top..

Without measurements we would be in the middle ages.
Because some people did we are able to combine all these parts to something that is called "hifi".

Btw, if you like cheap you can make such transformers for Appogee yourself. They are very easy to make, no special machines required.

fellow enthusiasts -
can we please stop this petty and childish bickering? I was simply reporting my enthusiasm over the custom Tribute transformers that i ordered. the results were, in my opinion, very good and very satisfactory and have allowed my speakers to reach a higher level of performance.
Now this thread seems to have become a platform for indirect personal vendetta against Tribute. That is not in line with the subject of this thread and i ask for a moderator to please intervene and either terminate this thread or keep it on topic.

Very sad

Somebody wrote Tribute is "top notch".
Based on what? Thats just a question.

I thought I was just stating a generally accepted state .. that Tribute has a reputation. Reason also why you seem to react so energetically ..

Based on opinions of people whose judgement is taken serious..

John Broski at Tubecad many years ago :
European Triode Festival
Well, it's true. Pieter makes great audio transformers. How do I know? Over a year ago, he made a pair custom, nanocrytaline-amorphous, toroid transformers for me. They allow me to hook up my 300-ohm and 32-ohm headphones to my Aikido line stage by reflecting a 1200-ohm load. How do the transformers sound? Just fabulous. So good, in fact, that I thought something must be wrong. Huh? Whenever I hear something really wow me, I get suspicious. Has some trick been pulled? Has something been added to the mix that wasn't there originally? Well, enough time and listening and testing has passed that I know that his transformers are the real thing. And I am not alone; at the ETF, I heard nothing but praise for Tribute Audio transformers.

That's how you build a reputation......

"Best" .. the best ...as the absolute ... Ella or Sarah ?... I personally prefer Sarah... can I speak for others ? ... absolutely not. Do I hate Ella .. absolutely not ... I just prefer one over the other. Recognizing both as true artists.

You can better focus at the facts. Maybe all the stories about delivery problems from Tribute are also a lie? ( i don't care btw )
You do care .... as every angle is used to express your "care"

Last edited:
I thought I was just stating a generally accepted state .. that Tribute has a reputation. Reason also why you seem to react so energetically ..

Based on opinions of people whose judgement is taken serious..

John Broski at Tubecad many years ago :
European Triode Festival
Well, it's true. Pieter makes great audio transformers. How do I know? Over a year ago, he made a pair custom, nanocrytaline-amorphous, toroid transformers for me. They allow me to hook up my 300-ohm and 32-ohm headphones to my Aikido line stage by reflecting a 1200-ohm load. How do the transformers sound? Just fabulous. So good, in fact, that I thought something must be wrong. Huh? Whenever I hear something really wow me, I get suspicious. Has some trick been pulled? Has something been added to the mix that wasn't there originally? Well, enough time and listening and testing has passed that I know that his transformers are the real thing. And I am not alone; at the ETF, I heard nothing but praise for Tribute Audio transformers.

That's how you build a reputation......

"Best" .. the best ...as the absolute ... Ella or Sarah ?... I personally prefer Sarah... can I speak for others ? ... absolutely not. Do I hate Ella .. absolutely not ... I just prefer one over the other. Recognizing both as true artists.

You do care .... as every angle is used to express your "care"

Daan,

Dos Brosky give his opinion or dos he really measured it? I know many people are happy with there sound but a lot other companies can make good sounding transformers. I have the same problem with Audio Note, what is the real performance, and not the bla bla people say.

If I look at http://diytriode.republika.pl/gm70autobias.gif and this amplifier has just a 15Hz-35kHz -3dB then i am absolutely not impressed. All "top notch" transformers. Really? Just bla bla for me.

Morgan Jones says in his lecture on the ETF "200kHz isn’t high enough for a good output transformer" So thats a statement:D
How many transformers do you, I or we know who are capable to do this. And there are much more parameters who give the transformer the " sound" is has.

So i want to know the facts and not what people say or what reputation a company has.

I always have said to Tribute / Pieter, for many years, even personal to him that i want to see measurements from transformers. I did not changed my opinion last 20 years on this.

The article says "enough time and listening and testing". Is testing measuring .. and if so with the right equipment ? One could do a nice word game on this ...

Seems he was confronted already earlier with similar critique on his "theories":
Bold new topology?
How true are these formulas to reality? I don’t know, as I don’t have examples of the two amplifiers to test, but I know that it is accurate regarding my own pair of Atma-Sphere M-60s.
(What! He owns those amplifiers! I heard he owns an oscilloscope and a distortion analyzer and a FFT, which means that he can test them and evaluate them at his leisure! The horror!)

Someone writes something about his experience with a certain brand ... then directly a particular person jumps on it ... and consistently .... with whatever 'constructive' critique possible to apparently paint that particular company in a negative picture.

Stop stalking ...

The article says "enough time and listening and testing". Is testing measuring .. and if so with the right equipment ? One could do a nice word game on this ...

Seems he was confronted already earlier with similar critique on his "theories":
Bold new topology?

Someone writes something about his experience with a certain brand ... then directly a particular person jumps on it ... and consistently .... with whatever 'constructive' critique possible to apparently paint that particular company in a negative picture.

Stop stalking ...

Ok Daan, he did some measurements, so it would be easy to show what measurements or not? Maybe somebody else here on the web did?
I know you as a highly educated person so you should know that PROOF is necessary.
I only ask about some measurements, real proof for "top notch" . Instead of that people go angry here think that people are being stalked etc. Don't make it bigger as it is or do you prefer to do so?

So how difficult is my question? Just a simple 300B transformer maybe he made plenty of them.

"esltransformer"

Pieter is not active on this forum so he wont respond to your questions, but you are fully aware of that.

You know Pieter in real life, so you could simply pickup the phone to get your questions answered, but that is, pretty obviously, not your goal here.

Personally I think what you're doing here is pretty immature and it get's you nowhere.

I will not waste anymore time on parading against your never ending tribute "black mouthing" attempts.

Point of this thread is: Pieter can supply transformers for Apogee Full Range speakers which are a considerable upgrade over the stock transformers, actually he has even supplied "Mr Apogee" Graz. And the best part, they're cheaper then other commercial offerings I've had. So he gets my recommendation as a source for people looking to upgrade their Apogee Transformers.

Since he runs a small company his lead times are currently around 8 weeks. Compare to say Paul Hynes who has lead times of 12-18 weeks currently.. If you dont want to wait, dont order. Simple as that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.