Trends TA-10 vs. Super T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got my Super T today

I just hooked up the Super T. I'm also using a Curcio CD12 DAC. The Super T is still stone cold. It sounds a little lifeless right now, very bland, not much punch, but the background noise dead quiet. I'm gonna let it run for for awhile and see what happens....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did some ABC listening today between the TA-10, Super-T and an old Fenice prototype in a tin box.

The TA-10 and the Super-T are very close, easy to mistake one for the other. Gain is a little higher on the Super-T. To get the same output the Super-T volume knob was at 11:30 while the TA-10 was at 1:00. Measured on sine wave. Sounded same to the ear.

There were some subtle differences that seemed to by consistant across many CDs and SACDs. The Super-T is a little more dynamic, has a slightly fuller mid bass. This tends to give it a bigger sound at first listen. Kick drum is certainly better, more impact.

The Trends TA-10 has a more "forward" midrange, more detailed. Voices are more textured than on the Super-T, more real. At first this was making it hard to understand what the difference was, because I could "feel" it, but not put my finger on. They sound more alike than different. No surprise.

After a lot more listening I could hear that the TA-10 had much more detail, but a lack in the midbass. A lot of room and reverb detail is in the midbass, and I listen for space. The Super-T had good space and a wide image on certain recordings, the TA-10 was better on others. But as CD followed CD, the TA-10 always had a richer, more detailed midrange. Vocal tracks really showed this.

The Super-T seemed to have a bit more channel seperation, which gave a wider sound stage, despite a little lack in detail.

My feeling is that with some power upgrades to the TA-10, and a few other tweaks, it will easily best the stock Super-T. Better midrange AND better bass and dynamics. It will be interesting to hear the results.

The TA-10 was better than my old Fenice prototype, for sure. Much bigger sounding, more detail, more space. The protoype is using a cheap volume control and Blackgate caps on the input. Stock output filters, upgraded power caps. Might do a litl tweaking there too, to see if it comes up to the other amps.

Further impressions about the Super T

Pano, thanks for the review. I let my new Super T run for about 8 hours yesterday. It started sounding a little bit better, but something was missing. At times, the detail was simply amazing, but it still seemed somewhat bland. Just not very "musical". Perhaps, this is what you are describing in your review - a minor issue in the midrange.

Now, I'm thinking of mods for the Super T. I opened up the box and the cheap wiring immediately bothers me.

Pano, what type of wiring would you recommend for the the power, inputs, and speaker outputs? What other easy mods do you recommend?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When I 1st began comparing the Super-T to other amps, many months ago, I found that the Super-T seemed to erase all the little details that put life and joy into the music. The musical "sauce" if you like.

There are a few things to do on the Super-T, same caps that can be replaced, and most important - the double output filter should be simplified.

There is a schematic on my website - that is the 1st place to start. http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/super-schematic.htm

Replace the electrolytic power caps with better ones, like Panasonic FM or FC series. Or another high quality low ESR cap.

Replace the cheap electrolytic input caps with a film cap in the flavor you favor.

Remove the entire second stage of the output filter. You will get more RFI on the speaker lines, but you'll also get more music.

I will do some graphics with arrows and nores in a day or two. Getting some of those parts off the board is a real pain! Be prepared for much tugging and swearing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.