Trends Audio TA-10: Modding Potential?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the Omega XRS:

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/super3xrs.html

The Trends was enough to drive them to about %90 of what they are capable of. If you just got the Fostex speakers set up, they will need a couple hundred hours before you make any judgements... break in on the Omegas was pretty rough, and they continued improving through at least 500 hours. Play music with heavy bass at high volumes to accelerate the process.

I think the output circuitry on the Trends is to cut off RF generated by the switching freq. of the amp, so I would leave it.

Dave

Davec113 said:
I have the Omega XRS:

http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/super3xrs.html

The Trends was enough to drive them to about %90 of what they are capable of. If you just got the Fostex speakers set up, they will need a couple hundred hours before you make any judgements... break in on the Omegas was pretty rough, and they continued improving through at least 500 hours. Play music with heavy bass at high volumes to accelerate the process.

I think the output circuitry on the Trends is to cut off RF generated by the switching freq. of the amp, so I would leave it.

Dave

The Trends may be able to drive the Omega, and my Fostex may not have 500 hours on it, but the problem I am having here is the difference in sound (day and night) between the 20w tube amp (6N3C) basically a EL34 equivalent and the 6w Trends.

Change the speakers to PSB and the results is the the other way round. Googling on the net suggest may its a problem of damping factor. Impedance problem?

I did try to change the power capacitor from 2200uf currently to 1200uf with some improvement. But the bass got a bit flabby too. Maybe I should go down to 550uf? Even change the input cap back to the old Auricap from M-Cap ZN since the Auricap had more significant bass and attenuated top end. With a regular box film cap (Epcos) the Fostex was just shouting away like nobody's business.

Also tried an Audiolab 8000 and another tripath amp, Poppulse, with the Fostex and it still don't sound as right. It sounded hollow and thin (compared with the tube.) I still have another amp to try out (Winsome Labs Mouse.) If the Mouse dun cut it, then I may have to get a 300B tube to drive 'em. Hopefully, this 300B (Bewitch) would sound the same as the Audiovega 300B which the original owner drove with before I bought the Fostex. (The 6N3C with me now is a loaner.)

Can anyone shed some light on this Trend/Fostex amp/speaker matching? And yes, I did see some solution to this probem. Some suggest adding another driver or using BSC. But the original reason I bought an FR was it does not require crossover, hence a much cleaner and simple system.

Raz, that might just be how it is.... without hearing for myself its hard to tell. I built a Simple SE 6550 SET amp (triode or UL, no cfb) for the Omegas, and it is far, far, better than the Trends. I would characterize the Trends as thin by comparison, especially when used on its own. I used it with a tube preamp, which helped a lot.

Dave

Davec113 said:
Raz, that might just be how it is.... without hearing for myself its hard to tell. I built a Simple SE 6550 SET amp (triode or UL, no cfb) for the Omegas, and it is far, far, better than the Trends. I would characterize the Trends as thin by comparison, especially when used on its own. I used it with a tube preamp, which helped a lot.

Dave

Aaah.. I think you have got it. And yes, changing the pre-amp or in my case DAC (using darker Burr Brown op-amp) helped but not to the level of the 6N3C/Fostex combo. Thanks Dave. For a moment there, I thought I bought a lemon for speakers.

Log or Linear Panasonic EVJ 50K Pot?

I am borrowing a friend's Trends TA-10.1 amp to use with my Onix Reference 1 bookshelf monitors (88dB, 4 ohms). With my SI Gen 2 T-amp, I can achieve reasonable listening levels with the volume pot at the 9:30 position. With the Trends, I need to turn the volume knob to the 11:00 - 11:30 position to get the same sound level. My friend has asked me to install a new volume pot and input wiring per Michael Mardis' input mods. I am also going to upgrade the input caps. Michael Mardis' Web site advises using a Panasonic EVJ 50K logarithmic pot, but earlier in this same forum thread, he cites a Digi-Key item, http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=P2E9503-ND. Digi-Key's Web site states that this is a linear pot. So what Panasonic volume pot should I get? Please reference the part number.

BTW, I am impressed with how good this Trends amp sounds. Initially, I thought my inexpensive SI Gen 2 T-amp with a few mods sounded better, but with more playing time, the stock Trends has opened up and sounds better: larger soundstage, more detail, very sweet organic midrange, and deeper bass.

Thanks

Davec113 said:
... I used it with a tube preamp, which helped a lot.

Dave

Stange Dave, when I played the Trends with an NAD 315 CD Player, it sounded normal. I then changed my DAC's output caps and also sounded better. Looks like the source equipment also play an important role in driving the Fostex. While the Fostex seems to sound better through the 6N3C amp, the high-end rolls offs. The Trends with the Auricap has the high-end and bottom-end but I think there's a little bit missing in the lower end of the mid-range. My guess its the caps. Maybe I should go back to the M-Cap ZN.

Now I can shelve the idea of a 300B or 2A3. Save some money!:) Also, I'm back on track to put together a system that will have 'audiophile' sound for less than USD 1,000. As it is, the NAD/Trends/Fostex combination is already less than USD1k but I think the sound can still be improved further with my DVICO media player going through a DAC707. A matter of getting the right combination of capacitors and op-amp on the DAC.

Davec113 said:
Raz, that might just be how it is....

Dave

Found the following on (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt/firstwatt.html) review of First Watt. They have this to say on full-range drivers:

6moons said:
Tube amplifiers seem to bring out the best from such drivers. They have more bottom end, a warmer mellower mid- and upper mid-range and often more top octave. By comparison, the 'best' solid-state amplifiers make them sound more like transistor radios - less bottom end and an occasionally strident upper midrange. If you are a solid-state kind of guy like me, you start wondering how that could be. If you are a tube aficionado, you smirk and say, "I told you so." The solid-state guy probably starts fixing the response with a parametric equalizer and the tube guy enjoys his music with a nice glass of wine

Ok let's not getting into parametric equalizers but are there tweaks for FR drivers that would make them match solid state amps better? I've seen resistors place on speaker cables before. Are they used to lower the damping factor of the amp?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: Log or Linear Panasonic EVJ 50K Pot?

rhing said:
I am also going to upgrade the input caps. Michael Mardis' Web site advises using a Panasonic EVJ 50K logarithmic pot,

My mistake - sorry! (too many of those little pany pots!)
What you want is Digikey part # P2G1503-ND That's the 50K log pot with the metal bushing.
(Panasonic Part Number = EVJ-Y10F03A54)

RaZmaTaZ said:
I've seen resistors place on speaker cables before. Are they used to lower the damping factor of the amp?

They can be. It works best with low Qts drivers. But you never quite get the same sound as tubes - I suppose it has to do with the transformer coupled outputs.

My mistake - sorry! (too many of those little pany pots!)
What you want is Digikey part # P2G1503-ND That's the 50K log pot with the metal bushing.
(Panasonic Part Number = EVJ-Y10F03A54)

No worries. I was able to change my order with Digi-Key in time to switch from the linear pot to the recommended logarithmic pot. Thanks for the input. ;)

RaZmaTaZ said:

Stange Dave, when I played the Trends with an NAD 315 CD Player, it sounded normal. I then changed my DAC's output caps and also sounded better. Looks like the source equipment also play an important role in driving the Fostex. While the Fostex seems to sound better through the 6N3C amp, the high-end rolls offs. The Trends with the Auricap has the high-end and bottom-end but I think there's a little bit missing in the lower end of the mid-range. My guess its the caps. Maybe I should go back to the M-Cap ZN.

Now I can shelve the idea of a 300B or 2A3. Save some money!:) Also, I'm back on track to put together a system that will have 'audiophile' sound for less than USD 1,000. As it is, the NAD/Trends/Fostex combination is already less than USD1k but I think the sound can still be improved further with my DVICO media player going through a DAC707. A matter of getting the right combination of capacitors and op-amp on the DAC.

I wouldn't shelve the idea yet... while the Trends was ok after I changed to a tube preamp and got ICs and speaker cables that worked well with my system, the system never really disappeared... I tried using felt to treat the speaker baffles and other things, but it never really worked out like I thought it should until the SET amp replaced the Trends. The perception that sound was coming from the speakers was always an issue... with the SET amp, the system really disappears in the room, soundstage and imaging are far, far better. Tone is also more real and true to life with more instruments. Some things sound good with the Trends, it ALL sounds good with the SET.

Because upstream changes make such a big difference with the Trends, its tempting to do more and more to get it right, but I think you'll just be chasing the dragon... I used 3 different power supplies, changed input/fb resistors, power caps, bypassed the volume pot... it made it into a better amp... for the price. I spent $6-700 in parts for the SET I built, so its not exactly a fair comparison, but its a far better amp than the Trends in my system. It is possible to build a Simple SE for far less cash....

Davec113 said:

I wouldn't shelve the idea yet... while the Trends was ok after I changed to a tube preamp and got ICs and speaker cables that worked well with my system, the system never really disappeared... I tried using felt to treat the speaker baffles and other things, but it never really worked out like I thought it should until the SET amp replaced the Trends. The perception that sound was coming from the speakers was always an issue... with the SET amp, the system really disappears in the room, soundstage and imaging are far, far better. Tone is also more real and true to life with more instruments. Some things sound good with the Trends, it ALL sounds good with the SET.

Because upstream changes make such a big difference with the Trends, its tempting to do more and more to get it right, but I think you'll just be chasing the dragon... I used 3 different power supplies, changed input/fb resistors, power caps, bypassed the volume pot... it made it into a better amp... for the price. I spent $6-700 in parts for the SET I built, so its not exactly a fair comparison, but its a far better amp than the Trends in my system. It is possible to build a Simple SE for far less cash....

I think you right, Dave. Thanks for your thoughts. . I shall revive the SET option.

Has anybody tried a Transformer Volume Control with the Trends instead of a pot?

There is a bit of a buzz about these just now - they are supposed to sound like a good Valve pre-amp. People are reporting them as a significant upgrade for a Noble pot.

I've ordered one - but the guy at Promitheus apparently takes absolutely ages to make them.

lefteyeyblue said:
How do you compare this to a SET 300B?

I can't. The only valves I have experienced so far are my EL34 integrated. It sounds euphonic and muffled compared to the TVC and a tripath based amp.

I am aware of the reputation of good SET 300Bs, and suspect - on what I have read - that they would outdo my system, but not by that much.

So it is hard to know what to do. I have reasonably deep pockets - but they are still Scottish pockets! I can't just take a chance at these prices. Currently very happy - even before the TVC is burned in. The improvement in sound over direct input is absolutely staggering. Bass weight increased (might not suit all systems) but retaining bass texture, mid + highs significantly decluttered, and no loss of transparency (that was a big worry). A keeper!

(btw It arrived 2 days after placing the order)

From my experience with the Trends I can only agree with and confirm the above findings. I have played around with them for quite a while, tried a lot of different power supplies, caps, cables, coils etc but somehow everything it reproduces sounds very clean but in a way that it sound like everything is played on a synthesizer instead of real instruments. It lacks body wich is not only due to a weak low end it has the same lack of body when used from 300Hz upwards. Soundstage is also about the same on every recording, not much variation. It sure sounds better than a lot of the chaep surround sound amps but can not be compared to a good 300B SET or a good build Hiraga class A wich I have both and both sound better in every aspect. For the money however the Trends is a fine amp, unfortunatly I'm not looking for best value for money but for best value.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sjef said:

For the money however the Trends is a fine amp, unfortunatly I'm not looking for best value for money but for best value.

This sounds odd as the Trends is almost the cheapest amp one can find and that is an important factor in why this amp got good reviews and gained popularity quickly. It is simply very good value for the money. Those last three words can not be dismissed.

So IMO this comparison with class A Hiraga amps and 300B SE amps cut no wood. If finding good value is the goal one can imagine more refined class T/D amps for a more fair comparison, not a 99 Euro amp against amps that cost many factors more money. I will not make the standard analogy with cars but you know what I mean.

I'm with you on that one jean-paul.

Comparing a vastly more expensive valve amp with the Trends only makes sense when doing so on the purely subjective level of how much an individual likes the sound.

In terms of sound per pound (dollar, euro etc) not many come close to the Trends or the like.

When a set of matched 300b's comes to the price of 2 or even 4 Trends amps the valve amp is blown away by the sliding scale of diminishing returns.

But it is all personal I guess. Your ears vs. mine. Who is to say I have better ears than yours?

Back to modding the Trends:D

Battery

Ello! Tried to find if anyone had run it at +14V, currently I'm using a laptop battery and running it at 14.6, works fine so far, so I guess the only potential problem would be overheating when cranking things up?

Someone mentioned putting a heatsink on the tripath chip? Seems like laptop batteries are very voltage stable btw :)

Cheers,
Johan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.