Transmission Line with "crooks"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you, scottjoplin and Brian Steele. Much appreciated.

Brian - although it it true that I am rather less sanguine about sims, my larger issue with prescriptive design is the unknowns of room acoustics. I find room acoustics* in the bass (even pretty damp acoustics) simply swamp the "best laid plans...". Whatever glory there may be good sims, it just isn't trustworthy systems-approach to design without having the room in the design. Or alternatively as in this thread, having allowance for post-priori adjustment.

B.
*including speaker locations

Last edited:
Until such time as choices of sub-sonic resonance drivers are available*, we need to address the rear wave problem with Rice-Kellogg drivers.

*it's not smart to design music reproduction systems with resonances... and worse yet if you then have to go to a lot of trouble combatting the resonances
Rear wave problem is not unique to Rice-Kellogg (moving coil) drivers, it is the same problem inherent in any dipole - including the electrostatic drivers.
Oh, electrostatic loudspeaker is also invented by Rice and Kellogg. :eek:

Do you know for ANY fullrange music reproduction system without resonances, so we can bury the Rice-Kellogg drivers which you hate so much?

But nobody has yet posted a single creative suggestion for making a TL box with a means of adjusting the path length.
Because it is a plain stupid idea, in a view of available accurate software modelling.

although it it true that I am rather less sanguine about sims, my larger issue with prescriptive design is the unknowns of room acoustics. I find room acoustics* in the bass (even pretty damp acoustics) simply swamp the "best laid plans...". Whatever glory there may be good sims, it just isn't trustworthy systems-approach to design without having the room in the design.
*including speaker locations
Room acoustic, together with loudspeaker response in it, is known with modern acoustic modelling software - you just have to buy the software (yes, it is expensive) and learn to use it (yes, it is not for everyone). Until than, please do not troll...

Or, you can choose a much simpler and free path to success: model the loudspeaker with some free software, build the loudspeaker, than use REW to find the best speaker (and listener!) location. Damn! You have to learn how to use the sim software. :eek: Back to trolling (I guess)...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.