Translating Active XO to Passive XO? How to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One problem with most active crossovers is that you can't split the HP/LP frequencies, they are locked together. Spreading those frequencies apart is one of the basic "tricks" to getting good results. And using different slopes on different sections.
I don't know why you might want to do this. Selecting drivers that cover the bandwidth correctly means that an 18 or 24 dB crossover slope takes care of the many issues associated with passive crossovers.

Frank

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There are many reasons. One is not having to use higher order (electrical) crossovers. Another important one is phase. And inter driver spacing. And rising woofer response, and mid band humps, room response, etc.

If only it were as simple as selecting the right drivers and applying a 3rd or 4th order filter. It's a fine goal, but in practice things are so much messier.

But I don't want to turn this into a lesson on crossovers. That's thread jacking. If the OP wants to go from his active setup to a passive one, it can be done without too much trouble.

If only it were as simple as selecting the right drivers and applying a 3rd or 4th order filter. It's a fine goal, but in practice things are so much messier.
The fact that I have done just that shows it isn't too hard.

But I don't want to turn this into a lesson on crossovers. That's thread jacking. If the OP wants to go from his active setup to a passive one, it can be done without too much trouble.
I was trying to talk the OP out of something he will. probably, regret.

pano, you suggest that the use of higher order crossovers, phase and a number of other issues were significant problems, many of which are overcome by using active crossovers with a steep slope. Then you suggest "If the OP wants to go from his active setup to a passive one, it can be done without too much trouble.", as if it is not a big undertaking that takes considerable skill and knowledge. I'm confused.

Frank

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How does it take considerable skill? He just has to measure the impedance curves and plug the numbers into the software. If he doesn't understand the software, I can do it for him in a few minutes. Remember, he is not starting from scratch, he just wants the electrical equivalent of the active crossover he already has. 90% of the work is already done.

The OP will only regret this if he desires a better crossover. He has not asked for one so far. He just asked for one that is easier to use and needs only one amp. I don't see what is wrong with that. The original request was simply for a passive version. That can be done without too much trouble. Designing a better crossover is not the intent of this thread, as I read it. Doesn't meant it's a bad idea, tho. :)

Well, checking back in...I dropped some holey basket corals in place of the FE103e and swapped tweeter amps to a maggie 196-BA and added a sub at 50Hz. Maybe like better that way..? maybe just getting used to it. They still sound veiled after listening to the Fonkens but those things are just a wee bit on the forward side (i.e. very forward). Gotta spend more time with them but am less and less inclined to go passive. I think (at least until I change my danged mind again) that if I keep using them I'm likely to keep the active XO in the loop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.