transistors kit for two F5 channel`s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having tried both, I liked the Toshiba 2SK1530/2SJ201 mosfets much more than the IRFP ones.
You can get the Toshiba ones from zhoufang, he sells the real thing. He's also a member here.

Hi Dazed
Interesting information.
I am in way to diy one F5 and F4
What arguments about to use Toshibas 2SK1530/2SJ201?
Can You describe the benefits in sound ?
Thanks
Best regards
:)

The Toshiba have a more warmer organic sound. The IRFP is more sterile but somewhat more detail.
I've had my F5 on several different systems at friends place where they heard the amp with both the Toshiba and the IRFP and everyone of them liked the Toshiba's more.
The Toshiba's sound more "musical" whatever that means :)

Oh please note for those that want to try and swap transistors, the Toshiba's have a very different bias rating than the IRFP. So turn down the bias fully before installing the Toshiba's. If you don't you may fry them! I forgot to do it when I swapped the Toshiba back in from trying the IRFP. Luckily I had the DMM connected and it read almost 2V bias, so I quickly turned off the amp and luckily didn't fry anything.

Last edited:
Where do the Fairchild parts fall soundwise?

Not sure, although I do have all three sitting at home, I've only ever tried Toshiba and IRFP, didn't really have much motivation to try another swap :p
Its a lot more work than swapping tubes :D

erez1012 :
Its a good idea to build it stock first. It takes almost 200-300 hrs before everything gets burned in anyways. Then if you can always play around with modifications later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.