transistor melt down ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Current Rating

I am quite surprised you need 35mA on a dual matched device to get best gain and lowest noise.

.....I am looking for speed...

This normally occurs in low noise, high gain transistors in the sub 1mA range.

.....best gain on data sheet at 10mA ( and rising )

.....noise is not an issue at all

If you need a really want a low noise super matched pair, look up the National LM394.

....very nice device but npn - I need pnp

Besides, because you're over driving the device, every time there is anything not quite right with it, you get some noise or something, you're going to worry about this over worked device and eventually, even if it does not fail, it will nag you to the point you're going to do it over anyway. Trust me. I've been there.

.....some like it hot !

Remember, a good designer never does anything to sacrifice reliability

......Well, I'm making no claims about by design prowess but if nothing else curiosity is demanding that I have a look into this 'off limits' area.

.....I appreciate your input and advice and I will certainly try running these devices in spec before I begin to experiment. I'll let my ears tell me what I prefer

regards

mike

Christer said:
Seems we didn't get any answer after all, but mostly a repeat of what has been already said earlier in the thread.

Yes - I'm afraid that I'm not very good at blindly doing what I am told. I always like to understand why.

What suprises me is that out of the all the really knowledgable guys that must keep an eye on the solid state threads no one seems to know what actually goes on inside a transistor to the extent that they can really explain this nitty gritty kind of question.

perhaps I should start a new thread...

mikelm said:

Yes - I'm afraid that I'm not very good at blindly doing what I am told. I always like to understand why.

What suprises me is that out of the all the really knowledgable guys that must keep an eye on the solid state threads no one seems to know what actually goes on inside a transistor to the extent that they can really explain this nitty gritty kind of question.

perhaps I should start a new thread...

Yes, I agree. I find it likely that my hypothesis earlier in the thread
is a reasonable answer, but it would be interesting to get it confirmed,
or refuted if wrong.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.