• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transformers for valve headphone amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Because it's absolutely conventional, and single-ended, transformer in the plate circuit is in some ways both considered the best performer and the most likely to deliver that characteristic valve sound.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just pointing out that that topology is considered attractive in some quarters. Parafeed and hybrid are somehow second best, with OTL acceptable if it'll work with your phones.

I'm interested in this kind of opinions since it's the "valve sound" I want from this headphone amplifier.
Can you recommend headphone amplifier circuits that sound good and have the "valve sound" ?

00940's 6E5P triode strapped CCS plate loaded parafeed circuit is NOT going to have "a sound". It's going to be very very fast and transparent.

I've done a few similar circuits with 6E5P, only difference being I use a MOSFET gyrator plate load instead of CCS, but it's very similar in transparency.

I would recommend using only one parafeed cap, no parallelling.

Can you recommend headphone amplifier circuits that sound good and have the "valve sound" ?

I hesitate to recommend an amplifier. Although I understand that some people like these amplifiers, it's purely an intellectual appreciation, they are actually not my thing. I'm sure somebody else will not be so reluctant. You could ask on head-fi, but suggestions are probably going to be (very) expensive and probably not DIY.

I'm interested in this kind of opinions since it's the "valve sound" I want from this headphone amplifier.

Which "valve sound" ?

a) rolled off top end frequency response and flabby bass ?
b)Absence of harmonics above 5th in the distortion spectrum?
c) no cross over distortion nor program related noise floor ?
d) soft, well behaved clipping?
e) lots of second harmonic distortion for "lush" sound?

All of the above can be achieved with valves and each has been called "the valve sound" by various people.

ps - another artifact of running DC in your trannies is that your magnatisation curve is very different to PP/parafeed

May I present this as food for thought. Performance is good out to 50khz and power toroidals can be used as both input and output transformers. A parafeed arrangement also works well.
A full compliment of transformers can be had for the cost of a single headphone OT. TRIAD make good candidates.

Shoog

Attachments

• ecl82_headphone.jpg
    ecl82_headphone.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 334
This is what I would do for a simple and cheap, yet extremely high performing headphone amp.

No need to make compromise for power efficiency for headphones. Linearity and dynamics (the Powerdrive really makes this - any circuit really - shine) with no global feedback. Cheap, simple and relatively easy.

This will not have a sound. It will be fast, musical and dynamic with lots of air and all that.

MOSFETs can be IRF820 or similar.

Tubes can be 6922 or variants, 2C51, 6SN7 or variants with no circuit changes. I would use 6N3P.

Or maybe use 6N16B and change the CCS tails for a bit smaller current and use maybe a bit lower B+. I've been thinking about making this amp for some time; would be very cute and pretty!

Next step: go directly heated. ;)

Attachments

• 6N3 balanced amp.png
    6N3 balanced amp.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Darned close...I'm working on a sim as per sketch but using a directly coupled starvation circuit reminiscent (per modified Mullard 3 watt amp) with generous nfb. As my hearing uppers are still fairly good, the bogey issue is noise. For my ears on classicals, a min noise floor <-80dBu down is the min requirement.
(more later)
richy

Darned close...I'm working on a sim as per sketch but using a directly coupled starvation circuit reminiscent (per modified Mullard 3 watt amp) with generous nfb. As my hearing uppers are still fairly good, the bogey issue is noise. For my ears on classicals, a min noise floor <-80dBu down is the min requirement.
(more later)
richy

-80dBu noise is no problem with my design.

Cheers

Ian

I assume the headphones in question are 600 ohms? This is a parafeed plate to line transformer and is not suitable for driving low impedance headphones. (I have a pair I am using in a new line stage design.) Note recommended load impedance is 10K and above.

300 ohm Sennheisers are the only headphones I use, which should reflect 10k. It seems like it should be suitable for a few different kinds of tubes popular in "spud" parafeed like 5687.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
300 ohm Sennheisers are the only headphones I use, which should reflect 10k. It seems like it should be suitable for a few different kinds of tubes popular in "spud" parafeed like 5687.

The 10K cited is the secondary load, not the load reflected to the primary which is more like 336K with the recommended minimum load. This transformer is really not suitable for driving headphones, honest. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you look at the lundahl data sheet you will see that the performance is specified into a 10K load on the secondary side. (The secondary is not 10K, it is the source impedance divided by the square of the turns ratio ignoring the effects of the shunting inductive reactance of the primary at low frequencies) These transformers are tiny and can't handle an appreciable amount of power.. Note the application. They do not specify the load impedance for the distortion measurements which probably means solely into the input impedance of the measurement setup which would typically be at least 100K ohms based on my experience.

http://www.lundahl.se/pdf/1930.pdf

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-09-10 12:37:27.png
    Screenshot from 2014-09-10 12:37:27.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 206
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.