Transformer selection for DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's a good point, one could experiment with loading resistors on the secondary of the transformer to damp any ringing from transformer parasitics. It shouldn't be a lot of resistance, which is good because you don't want to burden the voltage output DAC with too much load.

Cinemag is an excellent choice as well. I would call them directly - David is a nice person to work with, and will suggest the best xfmr for the application.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, there are some snubber threads somewhere on the forum that will help with that. Or you can just aim for a total load on the secondary of 3K-5K ohm. Most voltage DAC chips are happy driving 1K loads. I don't see a lot of ringing with 3-5K on the secondary.

As for nickel, I prefer not going above 50%. There are some things in the DAC output I just don't want to pass. ;) But different people have different tastes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.