• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

transformer rubbish

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: transformer rubbish

Miles Prower said:

. . .
What that high perm core does is allow you to achieve any given inductance with fewer turns. Fewer turns is a good thing in that it reduces the stray capacitance, and the increased coupling coefficient reduces leakage inductance. Less Cstray means that the coil's Q is improved for less phase shift at the upper end; less leakage inductance makes for less lossiness at the upper end.

+ 1

Sometimes I dream for a (large) air core toroïd :cool:

Yves.

Ok, looing at the OP, what would be the real difference

between say a Tango OPT and an Edcor OPT? Besides the price of course. Tango being obscenely expensive and Edcor being far more reasonable in price. As far as quality and materials go or the way that they are wound, is there really any difference?

I do know that some transformers have better base response than others, while some transformers have better upper end. That's not what I am asking about. I am asking about a general overall difference.

Not trying to. However, when I see the prices of some transformers that are over 3k/pr, it really makes me wonder if it isn't "audophile hype". Sort of like the old amp reviews where they say "this is better because it has 0.001 %thd and that one has 0.002%thd". At that point even a dog couldn't hear it on it's best day.

Granted that potted transformers look very cool sitting on top of your amp, but is a "cool factor" all you are gaining?

Looking for rational input here.

Better OPTs will probably have higher primary inductance, stronger coupling and smaller capacitance by using a more complicated interleaving scheme. This makes them a bit more expensive to make. I don't know to what extent productions costs affect the price, but I would expect some correlation.

I personally would steer clear of transformers claiming high price due to exotic materials. Given reasonable quality appropriate materials then design details are the real issue - funny that, just like the circuits themselves!

I'm not a transformer manufacturer, but I know enough about them to be dangerous.
Heck, I don't know enough about them, yet that hasn't stopped me from being dangerous...;)
Sometimes I dream for a (large) air core toroïd :cool:
Yves.
Problem is, the inductance will be too low for the frequencies that we're trying to pass.. That'll give you some really high primary currents even with no secondary load.

jn

Not trying to. However, when I see the prices of some transformers that are over 3k/pr, it really makes me wonder if it isn't "audophile hype". Sort of like the old amp reviews where they say "this is better because it has 0.001 %thd and that one has 0.002%thd". At that point even a dog couldn't hear it on it's best day.

Granted that potted transformers look very cool sitting on top of your amp, but is a "cool factor" all you are gaining?

Looking for rational input here.

i have seen KT88 OPT's potted, on closer look, it uses a core that you would normally find in an EL84 amp.....what gives?

Good output transformers (not exotic ones) of as early as the 50s had as low as 0,5% distortion. I am not aware that that has significantly improved by the use of 'exotic' materials since then.

There are of course 'horses-for-courses'. Using words like bigger, better, worse, higher, lower' do not provide information enabling judgement. They only cause most of the misinformation prevalent in this field. The characteristics have to 'match' the requirement, and one goes on from there. There will naturally be cost differences, but there is not much justification for large cost discrepancies in transformers of similar characteristics. (In fact, I seem to recall that good quality steels can be made a little cheaper these days. That should decrease the cost.)

We need to be careful here - the author asked about difference in sound. That strictly does not involve efficiency etc.

Problem is, the inductance will be too low for the frequencies that we're trying to pass.. That'll give you some really high primary currents even with no secondary load.

jn
Sure !
You'll need (very) large number of turns of large diameter for not too hi losses, making a very large OPT.

I've seen some air coiled transformer for 50Hz used in railway to detect the presence of a vehicule while not being saturated by the traction DC current. They was huge enough to occupy all the space beween the tracks :D

Yves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.