Transformer hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
quoted:
What is Balanced Power?

Balanced AC is a revolutionary new technology that has been quietly growing in popularity for about the past 5 years, but for the sake of those who aren’t familiar with its application, let’s briefly cover some basics.

Balanced AC is simply 120 Volts that has been split evenly across two AC mains. One phase is +60V while the other is -60V. The mains are always 180 degrees out of phase across the load and therefore sum to 120 Volts, the same voltage and frequency for which equipment power supplies were designed. In this case however, the reference potential (ground) has been located at the midpoint between the two mains so there is no "neutral" wire.

Your set up without the transformer hummed? Why are you using the transformer? Have you tried the dc blocker just with your original set up? Have a look at the ESP pages and check that your blocker is configured correctly, and with properly rated components, there are some dodgy examples to be found. The problem of course may have nothing to do with DC.

we have a special net over here, 3x220v and some wise guy told me that this king of transformer would help me.
Indeed, set-up sounds better with the transformer.
Also all transformers hum here, even small one 50VA but I can live with that.
But this huge 1000VA when it hums, it rocks the Kasbah...

Ha ha, ok, I think you have a clue what might be going on here! ("wise guy"). That quote you gave earlier is a lie, there is nothing "new" about isolation transformers. Also 1000VA is ridiculous (but you know that too). Take it back and demand a refund then, if you like, tell him the rest Ha!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is the transformer out in the open or in a box? If the transformer is in a box have you tried isolating it from the surrounding structure or the box itself? .i.e. Have you thought about how the hum is propagated? Directly from the transformer through the air, or mechanically coupled to something else that radiates the noise efficiently?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.