Transformer Hum?! STOP IT!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pulses on the mains

Rarkov said:
Sounds like mine, except the humming on mine pulses. It is these pulses that are irregular. They can also last anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds from min humming - max humming - min humming. This could happen twice in a row, or it could go 30 secs before another. It sounds "powerful" and dangerous...That's the only way I can descibe it...When it "winds up" (from min-max humming) it feels like it is going to keep going until it blows up - yet the chassis is safe (at least I don't die if I touch it! ;)) and the sound dissappears.

I hope I haven't confuse people more! If I have, just go on my original post...or ask and I'll try to explain it again...
Gaz
Hi Rarkov,
To me it sounds likes remote commanding pulses from the powercompany to set the switch in your fusebox to "day" or "Night" electricity. Nighttime is cheaper. Sometimes these sounds come trough in most peculiar ways.:xeye:

I build the circuit without C2/3 and the chokes and it works just fine. Even the two caps are a bit too much. Just one is OK.

See the attached picture of the LC-Audio DC-Filter.

william

Attachments

• dc-filter_klein.jpg
    dc-filter_klein.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 765
Philo:
No the sound does not die when touching the chassis.

Elso Kwak:
Not sure if the power changing theory is correct - I know it happens, but this is every 30 secs or so, not evenings only.

wuffwaff:
Very interested in this seemingly simple circuit. What is the red component there? Can you post a scheme? Is that to just the live wire, not the neutral aswell?

Nelson Pass:
I have a space for an extra BR. I just had a go at working out what you meant by using a BR to give the equiv of two diodes in series. All I can get is two sets in series, but both pointing thew same direction, and they need to anti-parallel, not parallel. Have I missed something?

Thanks for everyone's help...It seems like a few people have had this problem. I don't think I've got the space to put everything into the monoblocks, so I might make a seperate mains distrubution block incorperating it all.

Thanks,
Gaz

Rarkov said:
I just had a go at working out what you meant by using a BR to give the equiv of two diodes in series. All I can get is two sets in series, but both pointing thew same direction, and they need to anti-parallel, not parallel. Have I missed something?

The diodes, check the attached schematics once more! The diodes are for voltage limitation (max +-1 Volts across the cap) and for inrush currents.

Re: Me too

saurus said:
I also have a buzz from my Plitron 400VA toroidal, but my hum is very regular and even. It isn't always present, but it doesn't seem to correspond to turn-on, or warm-up, or anything else I can recognize. Seems to fade in and fade out over hours. Do you think this is also a DC-in-the-mains problem? I have a 100 R/100 nF across the mains before the transformer. I can live with it, if it isn't damaging the transformer (?). Thanks for the help!

I had the exact problem and a DC-trap helped.

buzz

Hi Rarkov,
If you disconnect all from the secondary of the transformer a 'hum' is still there?.
As I understand well you did two monoblocks than you should have two the same transformers. Is the buzz from both?
I know you did same amps and if it had been a dc problem it would have been the same with others. (IMO)

Hi Peranders,
I've no idea about caps with doides. I don't even know hot use this thing. I'm having the the same problem. My newly bought Parasound Halo A21 makes humming. Can I buy that thing from some where that you are talking about here in this forum.
Please let me help me out this bcoz I'm getting nuts with this apm transformer hummmmmmmmming.
Thanks and best regards

I have two large monobloc tube amps...the power supply transformer on one of them is emitting a 60 Hz hum..real annoying at low levels..any suggestions. I don't think it's dc on the mains because..as I said...only one amp does it.

thanx
rt

are you using steel chassis? EI traffos? i asked because in one monoblock i saw, it was the bottom plate vibrating causing humming, so my fix was to put a 6mm plexiglass in between the bottom plate and the chassis, holes were cut to allow the normal ventilation....

if using an EI traffo, you can try tightening the bolts, if that does not cure the humming, then you have to dismantle the traffo, wedge the core and the winding and dip in insulating varnish....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.