• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

transducers manufactured by me in india ,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a driver cannot be defined by ,

to consider its t/s parameters , never actually suggests how it will play

or the materials it may be constructed with , ofcourse if it was to be used by the police force - kevlar is very important

but when it is to ultimately convert source to analougus sound , what are on line is its realism , accuracy , depth , tone / timbre , nature etc in hi fi

in pro audio - directivity , effective spl , accuracy , decay etc

it cannot be defined by a mechanical formula

what has all this got to do with diy ?

when one has to choose a drive unit or units for ones amp / speaker enclosure in mind etc

what are the factors worth considering ?

considering a purchase of a loudspeaker unit

ts parameters defines this unit mechanically , through these mechanical parameters one can proceed to use / utilise the unit to its best , including efficiency , and is of utmost importance to its enclosure design enclosure

but one has also paid for the materials used in the construction of the drive unit ,

this will decide its longetivity , compression at peak power , overall accuracy - not to mention the tonal quality or the nature of sound produced

where am i heading , - the internal volume of a cone may be same as that made of ordinary hard pressed paper or for eg a kevlar woofer

1 set of compliance figures can be easily duplicated between

a rubber surround cone / and a foam surround cone

all the manufacturer needs to do is control the hardness factor of the rubber surround material (ie the rubber)
and
the density of the foam material _ of the foam surround

with this surround material differance the sound quality of both the drive units will be entirely different

- along with the materials used the construction process is of importance

so is the x- max the voice coil inductance , the cooling efficiency

distortion - can be reduced by a symmetrical field magnet structure , shorting rings for eddys , shorting rings built into the coil to limit the coil from leaving the magnetic gap during extreme excursions

these important issues relating the drive unit is not reflected very much in the t/s matters

where am i going ?

i can copy a standard 100 $s subwoofer unit' s t/s parameter using

ordinary components for eg a pressed paper instead of a non press one , same coil dia , wire winding etc but with a poor insulation

and it will never play , last , sound as the original 100 $ s one

this is of utmost importance to diy constructors , along with t/s parameters

Reverting to important issues governing diy and speaker design

1 . The speaker matching with the amplifier ,

I can provide a double magnet (155 to 230 mm) subwoofer in a lambada extended pole underhung sfg topology magnet structure with a kapton voice coil with imported aluminum wire voice coil lengths in excess of 60 mm with a xmax of 25 mm at 4 ohms , a imported non-press paper rubber surround cone (which totally absorbs all mid + hi frequency due to the cone design)
and
if the user constructs the most powerful IC amp it will not match
infact it won’t match a 150 w rms transistorized design using latest Toshiba ets transistors
the reason – the magnet structure is over damped
now if it was the crescendo mosfet amp then we are going somewhere ,

Two

the type of the transducer , its power handling , has the voice coil size been increased blindly to increase power handling without magnetic efficiency and x – max in mind ?

the type of cone used , pressed paper , semi press paper , non press paper , felted composite , reinforced ets ( this decides how the speaker will sound )

the motor structure , sfg (symmetrical field geometry magnet structure) , for full range and pro drivers if there are eddy current shorting rings , other shorting rings employed to extend frequency response , linearise impedance , improve transience

the vc material and wire , the vc inductance – 2 layer , 4 layer , dual vc type etc

the suspension system and compliance
surround material , eg rubber then type natural or synthetic ets , the extent of the roll of the surround and its match with the spiders

the construction – at the end all parts of a speaker is held together by adhesives , the quality of adhesives used / and the process of manufacturing , for eg if I repair a toy with a epoxy hardener type adhesive and do not allow for the correct drying time …

at the end all manufacturers are increasing production speeds

agreed, paper specs no matter how detialed can never tell what the drvier will sound like. that is why we depend on forums like this (and the bass list).

BTW, do yo make any full rnage drivers on the lines of say the Fostex 103 or 166 or Jordan JX92. what i would like to do is have one driver operate from 60Hz - 6k (maybe more) and then add a sub for the bottom end and a tweeter (1st order) to fill the top. this should give me the extended freq. response of a multi way speaker and the coherence of a single driver full range.

the full range should have a nice easy roll off at the top as i intend to use only a 1 component XO and expriment if a single parallel inductor or series cap is works best.

dave (planet 10) has come up with a nice fullrange based design.

Regards
Navin

Re: reply to angshudas

hunter audio said:

till then i can give all information to calculate the parameters manually , using mili - volt meters , signal generator , spl meter

additionally a possesion of audio test equipment upto an oscilloscope will be helpful

can send the procedures , formulas the works

suranjan

transducer design engineer

I know how to measure T/S parameter and have the instruments. All I wanted is to see some of your drivers. Do let us know when you have them ready.

Angshu

hi

navin ,

speakers with a full range to fill in the mid bass to upper mids is extremely lively - open sounding and personally my best

i have made a lot of spks similar to that youve mentioned dedicated bass drivers for lows and a bullet or a super - hi tweeter for upper hi s , i use a particle board enclosure for the bass unit and a horn loaded or transmission type plywood enclosure for the full-range with the tweeter mounted on top

i am not very familiar with the models youve mentioned , i think the foster is cloth surround anyways these are the full ranges i have and they ll give any imported a run for their money

8 inch - 100 w 100 mm mag , light wt paper dual cone , fixed edge

12 inch - , inhouse devoloped dual cone , fixed edge with cloth backing 150 w - 134 mm mag , 200 w 155 mm mag

all drivers feature sfg - t shape pole structures ,

with

3 shorting rings in the magnet structure

one to linearise v/c inductance and extend freq responce

two to reduce eddy buildup on the pole piece reducing distortion

three to improve transience responce - in the mid bass region

all have imported alumunium high temp wire vc s

8 inch - 300 rs

12 inch 700 rs , 850 rs respectivly for 150 w , 200 w

all w = rms

i have similar fullranges in 15 inch , 6 inch and 5 inch s

6 and 5 inch prices are same as 8 inches since they share the same motor structure costs as that of the 8 inch

15 inch fullrange - 300 w rms with all the tech of the above
rs - 2200 /

best of luck for your project , i know it sounds good and ull find them beating real expensive spks ,

angshu i have drivers which are ready , what i meant was the drivers which you would get to see in cal - chadni market of mine are
drivers as requested or sought by the local market
though they are all sfg , imported wires with x max s of min 5 mm , also 4 layer types etc , with inhouse devoloped cones , surrounds ets

all are in the price bracket of 130 rs in a 90 mm mag ,

suranjan

hunter,
as a manufacrurer i guesss you'd be familiar with fostex , jordan, tangband, et. al. lord knows they get enough press on forums like diyaudio, bass digest, etc...

anyway what i am looking at is one of 2 designs.

1. design A:
single 6-8" fullrange and 8-10" woofer (for baffle step compensation) in a 45 liter tower. i presume i'd have to use a 6" fullrange adn 8" woofer as the larger drivers would prefer bigger boxes.

main deffect of this design: beaming of the fullrange limiting the HF response. bemaing for a 6' will start around 2kHz.

the real advantage of this design is that it comes very close to a point source (as close as possible using conventional dynamic transducers).

2. Design B:
4 nos 3-4" fullrangers in a line source

main deffect of this design: interference cancellation between 2 full ranges limting HF response. cancellation between 2 4" drivers will theotrically start around 3.5kHz and be very noticeable above 5k.

dave has a nice idea:
use 4 fullranges. 2 in front and 2 in rear for baffle step. then use a HF unit above 5k to compensate for cancellation.

this design might have an added feature in that if fits in small box (10-15 liters) it has high WAF.

so in short what i am looking for is:
a 6" fullrange like the fostex 166 that somehow manages to address the beaming problem. budget about $150.

or

a 4" fullrange like the fostex 103 budget about $20 each. and a good tweeter about $70. 4 x $20 + $70 = $150.

driver budget is $300 per pair or $750 for 5 channels about $1000 for 7 channels

the cabinet will be made of 5-6mm aluminum, damped with 1.5mm lead sheet mated to the cabinet via either double sided tape and/or expxy glue and/or rubbersied magnetinc sheet as well as open cell foam for absorbtion. braces will be either a solid SS rod thraded at both ends or a hollow SS rod with threaded end caps filled with lead shot (BB gun) and/or sand

hi navin

hi navin , ( Amp - man at the end )

there are few basic differences betwn a fostex and my full ranges

firstly they are all edge wound alumunim where as mine are round wire alumunim v/c s

next all of them have alumunim dust caps , my drivers employ dual cones with a polymer hard dome dust cap

alumunim dust caps yet are better than the dual cone set up

my drivers have not been modelled on any driver of which i could give you a reference of
in this i can say my drivers perform on their own standing as a driver from a seperate company

i have addressed beaming problems by loading the full ranges in semi horns , a more like a wave enclosure with a t/l type of flow to achive dispersion

please let me know the power handling you require

i have a 6 inch full range price is 300 rs ,

i do not have a 4 inch full range and would have to devolop one

about woofers there would be no problem at all , the details of my 8 inch woofers prices ets are mentioned in the general price list

please let me know ure preferences in this range

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about your budget

i can source the exact cones used by fostex in the models you have mentioned including their edge wound vc s , alumunim dust caps and make you the drivers

at the prices you have mentioned

(my prices will not change unless you mention change in the spare parts configuration to make the drivers i cannot charge more since your budget is higher as in the 6 inch i anyway give a japanese imported cone ets)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you will have to give me time for this _ if u are in the us u can help me , i have kept amp man waiting as i would like to supply original s only and am facing a time lag with the supplier

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEAR AMP MAN A COUPLE OF DAYS MORE ! - TKS

the 6" looks promising. what size of box will it require. the reason i mention the fostex is that they are the most iwdely available used fullranges. everyone knows their characteristics.

i am at present in India. will be in the US in early May is all goes well.

the reason for looking at 4" is box size. i live in an apt in bombay. my wife is already getting on my case with teh number of boxes i have lying around. my challenge now is to build a speaker that does not "look like a big ugly box".

my boxes tend to get big since i have to compnesate for teh volume taken by the braces etc...hence i am looking at alternate materials.

can you provide me any deatils (photos etc..) of the drivers yo make say the 6". is th frame cast, stamped, moulded? etc... it would give me a fair idea on what i am getting into. i hope i am not being too difficult. i have seen too much junk in Bombay and hence have gotten really selective.

bulding a speaker is a big struggle for me so it has to be worth it's while.

1. i have to convince my wife.
2. i usually have to donate or discard or disassemble an older speaker
3. then i have to design a box that will be acceptable etc...
4. it has to be something i have not done before

hi

hi

the chasis is pressed steel , die cast is as per order and i could give you this in die cast easily - though in this range of power handling its not , what one would say a necessity , yet the looks will be certainly better (upgraded if it was die cast)

the cabinet size can be reduced easily as i strongly recommend you to go in for a compression loaded cabinet with the back being a small t/l loaded design

i have made 5 inch speaker sats in which i have placed the spk 3 inches inwards of the baffle with baby cheeks made of ply and the throat is 3 inches (that is the cheeks on the spk end have a 3 inch squarish opening going on to become a 7 to 7 1/2 inch mouth at the baffle of the cabinet)

what i get is clear undistorted mids _ live and envoloping

the back is a semi horn t/l for mid bass the back total litrage will be around 1 to 1 1/2 liter at the max _ (i had to make a thermocol model to explain to my cabinet maker the box design _ ) - for the mid bass

the full ranges are not much cabinet loading dependant , in the sence that they play well in free air circumstances too

if you go in for high power dual mag 2 X 134 mm X 20 - 8 inch or better 10 inch woofers , it can be loaded in a real tight enclosure provided you have a powerful amp

i do not have a digital camera therfore cannot mail you the photographs , digital cameras are very light sensitive , i have found the mobile phone cams not being so - that much

if you could give me a mobile phone no to which i can send you a picture txt ill try to send you pics of my drivers

suranjan

hi

dear ampman

my choices of pro audio speakers are

myers , ev , jbl , 18 sound , eminence , fostex , turbo sound in that order - non of them manufacture 24 inches

there must be a reason , some reputated manufacturers like

precision devices do ( uk based ) though not familiar with their drivers but precision devices has been bought out by ev

fostex has a 36 inch driver not a 24 inch

the 24 inch you may have been shown could be a chinese - dainty

or a p - audio 24 inch

i will give you drivers with certificates of originality of material of the above list of ev , jbl etc

i am mailing you the prices specs etc today in the evening

thanks for the patience you have extended towards me

(guess knowledge has its share of mutual respect)

suranjan

sound reinforcement speaker prices

hi

i have for pa 12 inches and 15 inches fullranges

these are not the types you may have got from indian manufacturers , claiming to be fullranges ending up being bassy and the voice doubling in high power

these have an extremely high spl open mid responce , with a tight mid bass with a large bandwith covering high frequencies very well , infact peizoes need not be used as most peizos dont make much of an effect when combined with these full ranges

the technolgies used are as follows

12 inch - semi press dual cone - air dried

fixed edge in 150 w model

with cloth backing in the 250 w model

15 inch fully pressed light weight dual cone

250 watt and 300 to 350 watt

all drivers feature sfg - t shape pole structures ,

with

3 shorting rings in the magnet structure

one to linearise v/c inductance and extend freq responce

two to reduce eddy buildup on the pole piece reducing distortion

three to improve transience responce - in the mid bass region

prices 12 inch

rs 700/ for 150 w and 900/ for 250 w

prices 15 inches

rs 1350/ for 250 w and 1800/ for 350 watt

similar drivers in 8 , 6 , 5 inches are also available

mid bass

12 inches 250 w

15 inches 250 w and 350 w

in house speacially devoloped paper cone - cloth surround

imported high temp alumunium wires and adhesive voice coil

sfg - motor structure with a shorting ring to improve transient responce as in jbl s

12 inches rs 900/ (250 w )

15 inches rs 1700/ for (250 w) and rs 2500 for (350 w )

these have a very punchy bass , have an x- max of 6 mm and are very reliable under heavy loads , its nature is in the line of club / disco requirements

all use high temp imported alumunium wire and adhesives in the vc s

high temp running conditions have been carefully looked into with vent cooling and other approaches

low frequency transducers

in the range of 600 w rms

i use imported cones as used by reputated manufacturers like jbl / ev etc as in this range i yet have to devolop a cone for this application

to offer a product at indian prices

due to this the prices are a bit high

non of the cones available in 18 inches india can compaire anywhere in a head to head competion with the jbl s and the like

suranjan

hunter,

trust me all of us indians out here would love to have an indian source. importing drivers is not easy even after the recent changes in customs and import laws.

personally, i am in no real hurry as I already have a working HT/AV system and seperate stereo system. My deisre to build speakers stems from 2 needs.

1. the need to do something different esp given that my needs have changed a lot since my bachelor days. This really means making the system more WAF friendly and I dont need the ear-bleed SPL levels my existing stereo is capable of.

2. I have built my share of 5way-4way-3way100-200 liter boxes. Now I am looking at making a spaker that will not nesssacarily use wood (aluminum damped with lead, epxoy and foam is one idea) and will not look like a traditional speaker (hence I am looking at stuff from gallo, B&W VM1 and FPS, etc..) but will outperform these brands.

to help us it would be nice if you could list your driver specs in a more organised fashion. I would even go as far as to suggest that you use PDF to distribute the spec sheet (PDFs unlike DOCs are relatively virus free).

specs i'd love to see: T/s (Fs, Qts, Vas), optional specs (Mms, Bl, Xmax linear one way, Sd, Cms) additional description (cone material, surround material, voice coil data, basket material, recomended box volume and application) and a pic (so that we can see if there is a phase plug etc...). Granted these specs wont nesscarily tell us how thee driver dound but it would give us a very good idea. remember many of us have been playing with drivers for 20 years +. Give us some credit.

Start with only a few drivers (not more than 6) that you feel will sell best OR offer us drivers you are already making for OEM OR atleast share the specs of the drivers u already have built and have measured.

We also know this a LOT we are asking. so start slow. start small. No need to offer such a wide range it only confuses us (atleast me).

I have had atleast two bad experiences with "manufacturers" in Bombay who told me "we can build a driver to any spec." and after waiting for a year or more nothing showed up or what did were cheap chinese imports/knockoffs. Not all chiense imports are cheap. some are very good. but what showed up was stuff that looked it was built out of parts that were not designed to work together. maybe they were not even chinese imports but made in some unprofessional outfit in India. finally i gave up and got Vifa TC imports from thailand.

Commentable Thoughts

Hello Hunter I have got ur email and the specs of the drivers were amazing.

I wanted to know is that what parameters of a driver contribute to its power handling capacity i.e. what factor govern the wattage of a driver.How a driver is rated at a specific wattage.

Regards
Ampman

Re: Commentable Thoughts

amp_man_1 said:
I wanted to know is that what parameters of a driver contribute to its power handling capacity i.e. what factor govern the wattage of a driver.How a driver is rated at a specific wattage.

are we looking purely at thermal power capacity? if so then usually the voice coil plays the biggest roll however some formers are made of conductive material and some drviers are vented (or filled with ferro fluid) to improve the thermal power hanlding of the voice coil.

other than that all conventional drivers are effectively cones suspended in a magnetic gap and the ability ofthe cone to move linearly (suspension) inthis gap dictates how much energy the drive can handle before over loading. this is freq. dependant. the lower the freq. the more air a driver must move to produce the same sound level.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.