Trafo bad, or am I bad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, my ST datasheet must be too old.

That's how circuits get burnt up, errrrr Oops, looks like I already took care of that, lol. At least in your case you were undervolting it.

How hot is the TDA? Higher supply voltage leasa to a hotter IC.

This ran very hot with the 24VCT trafo since I could really crank it loud. Not to hot I couldn't touch it, putting a cheap thermomoter on the heatsink read 115F after on hour of being cranked to just below audible distortion volume level. I never really ran it that long with the 28VCT trafo, at this point I can't tell ya until I get the other board built, but it never got that hot.

Can it be that with the more powerful transformer, the amplifier chips are getting into overload and start to clip or get into current limiting mode?

This is a good point, in my opinion this is almost the only reason left why I'm having this issue.

I wish I had a way to bring down the voltage using components I have on hand. My LM7818/LM7819's are only good up to 1 amp, my LM338K's won't work because the trafo is center tapped, not independant secondaries.

Any ideas on a regulated PSU using a minimal parts board ,easily available components, and that don't cost an arm and a leg? I don't have much room in my case once I get everything mounted.

Or I could just opt for another trafo just like my 24VCT, run them paralled to get the added amperage needed. That is probably the best solution on this, another $5 and the same amount of space (or less) than the regulated PSU would take up. Anyone see any issues with this?

Last edited:
What impedance of the subwoofer speaker? If you use bridged configuration of TDAs the impedance must be 8 ohm. If the impedance is less it can cause protection operation i think.

I honestly coulda sworn my sub was 8 ohms, but I just double checked and it is indeed 4 ohms. It could be why the extra voltage/amps was causing it to clip. I got involved in another project, so I still haven't built that 2nd kit yet. Soon as I do I will try it with my 8 ohm sub and see how that goes.

Thanks for pointing out an obvious mistake on my part.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.