Tracking problem, need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Singa,
I have a 16 years old Sony CD player model CDP-590. I do not have the schematic of this player but I want to try to improve its sound. A few questions:
1) In your opinion, will replacing the original Elna capacitors to Panasonic FC capacitors (same rating) improve the sound significantly?
2) Wanted to replace the transformer but do not know its configuration. The label on it stated “1.449.923.11 TAM Japan OCO68”. Any idea what toroidal transformer I can replace it with?
3) The player uses dual DAC (PCM56P). Any way I can tap the data signal (left & right) into pin 7 direct out to a digital coaxial output terminal? I mean what can I do (from here maybe) to have a digital out?
4) I think M5204P (20 pins) is an op-amp. Is there a plug & play better op-amp (20 pins) that I can try replacing without changing any other components in the circuit?
5) The original clock is 16.9344 (926-31 KDS 9E). Will replacing it improve the sound. If yes, what is the recommended clock (brand, model)?
Thanks & have a nice day.

Hi,
Sony cdp-590

1. You can try that but results may vary according to an individual's ear/hearing.( cap replacement).

2. Replacement of power trans.- IT will probably have multiple voltages so getting a toriod with different voltages/windings is difficult and the sonic benefits are debatable.

3. You don't take spdif/digital from PCM56. You would normally take it from the decoder ic.

4. M5204p is 2 channel preamp as to whether it's a opamp I can't say.Normally a dual/2 opamp comes in a 8 pin dip.So a 20 pin is quite different.

5.16.93 Mhz. crystal.I think you should leave it alone.Although some might use an external clock circuit and power supply,again the sonic benefits are debatable as most subcircuits have their own crystal/clock technically the whole system is unsynchronised.This is a "sensitive" topic.

Please email me for further discussion. lsw142 at hotmail dot com.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.