tpa6120a2 headphone amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It looks like it could be used for a few things. first is to try using it instead of the usual OPA + BUF as an input buffer and some gain for some inverting 3886es, inverting because these actually prefer to drive a lower impedance.

the only trouble will be mounting it since i will make the boards (non plated VIAS) and i have no equipment for SMDs. fortunately this chip is not quite as tiny as some SMD (pin spacing) so is probably solderable.

i will try this totally non TI approved method:

1: make a clamp/heatsink from old VGA ramsinks. one end touches copper at the "dead" end of the chip

2: chip gos on opposite side of board from the rest of components (copper side)

3: put some heatsink compound under the chip and clamp it down

4: solder the pins.

Hay Neutron7

Do you think this chip could be biased into class a as is easly done with opamps?

The last one I did was a lm6172 using a resistor across the output to the neg. supply.

BTW
I did get the offset down to 30 -40 mv at good volume levels. Just feeding the tpa direct from the transformer. Using the 600 to 600 tamradio.I have the players (onboard the akm) attenu. setting on (-20db) and the filter set to sharp.

Lewis

Peranders what do you think?

About class a bias for this chip and some of my other qusetions?
also

-getting the offset down w/o an input buffer chip?
-is the tpa the same item as the ths6012?
-with no buffer what would you choose for a r2 r1 combo(see prev image) that would have a gain of 5 to 10?

Thank you
Lewis

weissi said:
Sorry for beeing a little bit o.T. forgive me :)

I´ve built an amp with the THS6012 a while ago, it sounded nothing than superb... Last time surfing on the Analog hompage I read about the AD8397, a high current opamp with quite good but not that impressive spec´s as the Ti THS-type.
Anyway, I put it in the output/filter stage of my EMU0404 - as a line driver it can´t be bad I thought.
But: When I drive my K271s (and those AKG´s are known for their high demands on amplification to reproduce good low freq.)directly from the card, bypassing the THS, I can hear absolutely no difference - even with brain-damaging levels...

Anyone else tried this AD8397, especially for headphone amp? I love its sound, its 300mA R-R ouput to 32 ohm and low noise. Not very fast (53V/ns), but more than enough for audio.

Fixup said:

Anyone else tried this AD8397, especially for headphone amp? I love its sound, its 300mA R-R ouput to 32 ohm and low noise. Not very fast (53V/ns), but more than enough for audio.

I've purchased a couple of AD8397ARDZ and they must be here today... I am planning to use them as LPF for my USB DAC project.. This is the topic;
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139839&highlight=
With this way; I am expecting to have a simple and headphone driveable USB DAC with really acceptable THD/Noise figure..

So do you say; it has really good sound?
And what about the heatsinking? A 1/4 euro board (100x40mm) with complete ground plane will enough for it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.