TPA3255 Power Supply Select

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Common issues of cheap power supplies are related to the most expensive components: inductors and transformers. The consequences are excessive electromagnetic interference emission and/or overheating of the transformer. Loss of insulation on extreme cases, noise/coil whining and bad efficiency on most instances. I've seen very bad power supplies where regulation is lost before the overcurrent/overtemperature protection kicks in, so you have voltage spikes at the output if you try to draw the maximum current for extended periods of time.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you @pcan !
I will not need continuously 480W from the PSU, even considering a very bad 70% combined efficiency of PSU and power amp together.
I have efficient speakers at 98 dB/Wm and they can handle 150Wrms continuously, but that would be too much.
Let me see how it sounds and I will report it here.

For the stuff I care if it blows up, I use mean well supplies minimum. Especially with bipolar supplies where they need positive, negative and ground. These TPA chip amp boards are prone to nuclear death when they get pushed hard, so don't crowbar your power supply into the grave during trials. Dim bulb testers and current limiters and switch mode supplies don't work well together.