TPA3255 amp cutting out

Hey guys first time poster long time lurker.. lol I just purchased a Wuzhi zk-3002 amp based on the tpa3255 and a 48v 10a smps to go with it. I have tried it hooked up to a pair of 8ohm speakers and a pair of 4 ohm and the results are the same. When I turn the volume up to medium/high levels it begins to cut out almost like a bad aux cable would from your phone to a speaker. I have tried it with a Bluetooth adapter as input, my phone wired directly, and with a pre amp in between both. My power supply is adjusted to 48.5vdc and doesn't change when the music cuts out at all. I can get an amp reading later today to have a better idea of where it's cutting out.

The amp has an adjustable gain potentiometer on it from 26-36db of gain and I have tried it all the way down at 26 and somewhere in between around 31db.

I have tested it with a 24v 6.5a mean well smps as well as a 36v lithium battery pack I made from 18650 cells. It acts the same with all 3 power supplies. I tried it with some old mid 90s Polk surround speakers that when measured with an ohmmeter reads open loop and it played until the speakers started to distort but felt like it had more power to give! There are passive crossovers inside the polks and I think the inductor is making the meter read OL when tested at the terminal cups. It's supposed to be capable of 3ohm loads in btl mode and 2ohm in pbtl mode.

I have 4 other china chip amps mostly using the 3116 chips. I have run a couple of them at max voltage for 2 years now with no issues. The douk audio 2.1 amp is very impressive and plays my 8" subwoofer very loud while also powering 2 6.5" 4 ohm speakers.

I've tried my phone which is a galaxy s20 and puts out generally 500mv with a 1k test tone but goes as high as 600mv with other frequencies. Then I've tried a Bluetooth receiver module and also a ne5532 pre amp with the phone and module hooked to that. The pre amp can put out 1.5-1.6v tops while using my phone or BT module. I want to add that I've also tested the amps output with an oscilloscope just hooked directly to speaker terminal and no load and get 29v peak to peak of clean signal.

Just tried the tpa3255 amp in PBTL mode and hooked up a 8" subwoofer with a 2ohm impedance. I raised the volume until it started cutting in and out then backed off until it would play correctly. I can tell right off the bat that the volume level is 3 or more DB lower than when the same sub is hooked to my tpa3116 2.1 chip amp which claims 100 watts. That amp uses a 24v 4a 96w power supply and puahes the sub and 2 6.5" speakers to a very loud volume. I'm going to message the seller and hopefully get a replacement or my money back for the tpa3255. This is my 2nd time trying a toa3255 based amp and the 2nd failure. The first was a Fosi bt30d I think which is a 2.1 claiming 50w+50w and 100w to the sub. Again that powered the sub to a little more than half the volume of the tpa3116. I'm beginning to think it's how the tpa3255 is and don't know why so many people love it??

You possibly have purchased a crappy Asian copy of someone else's design, with some parts that are fake or of very low quality. Half of these sorts of products can be expected to die within a few months and maybe yours is ahead of the curve. What did you expect for $32? I suggest you contact the seller, say the amp is defective, and ask for a refund.

After some similar experiences with cheap amp boards I no longer buy these sorts of products. You just never know.

That's exactly what I am going to do, ask for a refund. I already own 2 other amps from the same company and they have been perfect without issue so figured this one would be fine as well. Live and learn I guess. I was thinking about trying a Dayton audio board from parts express for the known quality.

Remove the c1 capacitor from the board.....

Attachments

• wuzi.jpeg
    wuzi.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 179
I did and it worked for 2 days and now I have no output to either channel. Searching around I found dozens of threads about the tpa3255 having issues especially with channels c and d. It's a very tempermental chip and requires a perfect layout of your circuit. I'll stay away from them in the future.

Sorry to hear that, the article i send you is directly from Wuzhi it shelf. I use 2 variant of tpa3255 amp (aiyima A07 and Fosi M03) with caps mod and they works perfectly fine for my HT till now...just buy this wuzhi zk-3002 for my tactile transducer because they have active fan and can works up to 48v (aiyima and fosi can only up to 36v), so i think its not the TPA3255 fault afterall, but the board maker (wuzhi)....

edit: are you use this amp in stereo or mono mode? i dont trust PBTL mode in this board anyway...its just to damn simple, maybe better to pick Fosi M03 if you plan to play in PBTL mode (I use it for center channel)

Last edited:
I picked the Wuzhi to try because it is one of the few that can do BTL and PBTL easily with just changing a switch. I also have 2 other Wuzhi amps already that have been working almost daily for 2+ years. One of them is a 100w x2 and powers 4 8" ceiling mounted speakers in a enclosed porch. It's disappointing that they screwed the design up on the zk-3002 so badly and are still selling it everywhere. I did a little investigating last night and the reset, fault, and clip pins all are showing around 600ma so I'm pretty sure the chip fried and I have no idea why. I think I'll try a tpa3255 variant from Sure/Wondom or Dayton audio.