TPA3251d2

I may have to build a linear power supply to try with these TPA-32XX amps. I have a TI TPA3255EVM that I power with a Mean Well LRS-350-48 switching power supply, and I’ve had great results. That said, the combination of the Aiyima TPA3251 with the Mean Well LRS-200-36 sounds as good.

I used a linear power supply with TPA3116/8 amps with great results, so I would think that there could be further improvements using a linear power supply with the higher power TI PurePath Class D amps.

rhing, I know from my own experience that older generations of class D chips did benefit from using linear power supplies, but when the "buzz" surrounding TPA325x chips started in 2017 I remember reading that several people who were experimenting with the TI evaluation boards heard no improvement by using linear supplies. Accepted wisdom at that early stage was to use a quality SMPS, and arguably, LLC resonant designs.

Notwithstanding, I will be interested to hear your results using a linear power supply. Please keep us posted.

I may have to build a linear power supply to try with these TPA-32XX amps. I have a TI TPA3255EVM that I power with a Mean Well LRS-350-48 switching power supply, and I’ve had great results. That said, the combination of the Aiyima TPA3251 with the Mean Well LRS-200-36 sounds as good.

I used a linear power supply with TPA3116/8 amps with great results, so I would think that there could be further improvements using a linear power supply with the higher power TI PurePath Class D amps.

With my Aiyima TPA3255 I have tested both :
- PSU Regulated 500W 48V
- PSU Linear 300W 40V

I get a bit more power with the 48V but the Linear one gives a best precision for the bass.

By the way, I forgot to ask....

What is your opinion about the Aiyima TPA3251 VS TI TPA3255EVM ?

By the way, I forgot to ask....

What is your opinion about the Aiyima TPA3251 VS TI TPA3255EVM?

It's still too early to determine, but based on my initial impressions, I am considering selling my TI TPA3255EVM amps. The Aiyima amp is quieter and slightly more dynamic and livelier in its presentation.

I would love to get the Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 amp for direct comparison to the TI TPA3255EVM, but the Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp sounds great with my KEF LS50 monitors and Klipsch Forte II floorstanding speakers. I probably don't need it. However, I do wonder why the manufacturer chose to use different input caps on one amp versus the other. I cannot tell from photos what input caps are used in the Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 amp. Are those Nichicon FW caps?

I've since tried the Aiyima TPA3251 amp with my mom's PSB Alpha monitors (6 ohms nominal impedance), and this was a really great match too. This is clearly a step up from my TPA3118 amps with its higher power output and improved bass response.

It's still too early to determine, but based on my initial impressions, I am considering selling my TI TPA3255EVM amps. The Aiyima amp is quieter and slightly more dynamic and livelier in its presentation.

I would love to get the Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 amp for direct comparison to the TI TPA3255EVM, but the Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp sounds great with my KEF LS50 monitors and Klipsch Forte II floorstanding speakers. I probably don't need it. However, I do wonder why the manufacturer chose to use different input caps on one amp versus the other. I cannot tell from photos what input caps are used in the Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 amp. Are those Nichicon FW caps?

I've since tried the Aiyima TPA3251 amp with my mom's PSB Alpha monitors (6 ohms nominal impedance), and this was a really great match too. This is clearly a step up from my TPA3118 amps with its higher power output and improved bass response.

The Aiyima TPA3255 is pretty to close to the Aiyima TPA3251. Nichicon caps as well. I own also an Aiyima tube preamp that performs really well. All Aiyima products I own are equiped with Nichicon caps, that is a very great point.
But the only bad point with the Aiyima TPA3255 is the fact that there is no "anti pop" on it.

I own the 3E audio and the Aiyima... I really appreciate the fact you can replace the AOP on the Aiyima. This is a big deal for the price =)

Here somes pictures if you are curious :

IMG-20200130-122804.jpg

IMG-20200130-122821.jpg

IMG-20200130-122852.jpg

IMG-20200130-122950.jpg

Aiyima Tube Preamp (by the way this is a killer preamp ! Must have !)

IMG-20200226-201516.jpg

Last edited:
The Aiyima TPA3255 is pretty to close to the Aiyima TPA3251. Nichicon caps as well. I own also an Aiyima tube preamp that performs really well. All Aiyima products I own are equiped with Nichicon caps, that is a very great point.

So Nichicon makes a few series that have the gold-colored sleeves:

UFW - standard series for audio
USW - Acoustic series
UFG - Fine Gold series

Can you identify which series they used? Just curious.

In my Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp, the input caps to the NE5322 op amps are the Toshin Kogyo UTSP standard series for audio, and the input caps to the TPA3251 inputs are Elna Starget "Red Robe" ROD series capacitors for audio applications.

So Nichicon makes a few series that have the gold-colored sleeves:

UFW - standard series for audio
USW - Acoustic series
UFG - Fine Gold series

Can you identify which series they used? Just curious.

In my Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp, the input caps to the NE5322 op amps are the Toshin Kogyo UTSP standard series for audio, and the input caps to the TPA3251 inputs are Elna Starget "Red Robe" ROD series capacitors for audio applications.

Hummm, I need to open it again. Next time I do it, I will try to check out.
Maybe you can zoom my pictures to see ?

If I am not wrong they use Fine Gold series

H67e87442e22d4dabaa6c035ff7d5dcf1y.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to purchase the Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 amp through eBay, but the seller in China could not ship the amp due to the COVID-19 virus outbreak. They were great about it and refunded my payment. That left me with the choice to purchase the Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp through Amazon.com who had some inventory of these amps in the US.

Another question for you, about the Aiyima TPA3251 : any risk to use a 36V / 6A PSU ? Or the extreme limit is 32V /5A ?

As per TI spec, seems that the max load is 36V, so it should be OK.

3251.jpg

Last edited:
Another question for you, about the Aiyima TPA3251 : any risk to use a 36V / 6A PSU ? Or the extreme limit is 32V /5A ?

As per TI spec, seems that the max load is 36V, so it should be OK.

The Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp has two 3000uF/35V Elna RJD power supply filter caps, so I set my Mean Well LRS-200-36 switching power supply to output 30VDC to stay within the Elna capacitor ratings. The current range of the power supply is 0-5.9A. I have not had any problems with this power supply. It seems like a great match.

View attachment LRS-200-SPEC.PDF

The Aiyima TPA3251 2.0 amp has two 3000uF/35V Elna RJD power supply filter caps, so I set my Mean Well LRS-200-36 switching power supply to output 30VDC to stay within the Elna capacitor ratings. The current range of the power supply is 0-5.9A. I have not had any problems with this power supply. It seems like a great match.

View attachment 824276

What is the risk if I try with a 36V / 6A PSU since the ELNA max power is 35V ?
I can't switch my PSU this is why I am asking.

Hi Daniboun,

It is not max power, it is max voltage rating.

OK, there is usualy some margin to it (perhaps a look at the ELNA spec sheet could help further), but you clearly play with fire and risk to blow your caps.

From there on difficult to say what may happen... at best caps and fuse, at worst total damage of everything.

I wouldn't do it unless dead sure the max rating in the spec sheet is clearly higher than 36V. Again, there is usualy a margin from serious manufacturers, but then there are also pikes at start up with conventional PS etc. and other bits that could lead to damage, not mentioning long term a cap might not like to be full time at its max rating.

Claude

Hi amigos,

I finally compared The Aiyima TPA3251 vs TPA3255. I got both.
The TPA3255 is fully Nichicon equiped
The TPA3251 is fully Elna equiped

Setup :

Aiyima TPA3255 + 48V / 8A PSU (SMPS unit) + AOP 1622
Aiyima TPA3251 + 35V PSU / 6A + AOP 1622
DAC double AK4497
Floor Speakers 2.5 way @ 93DB / 8 ohms / 100W RMS (high end speakers)
Source : HD Audio Tidal stream
Classical / Jazz / World Music

Next step : Burson Audio V5i AOP.

Pros :

Both amplifiers are really close regarding the Soundstage / Sound balance throughout the spectrum / and dynamics. Changing the stock > AOP 1622 really improves the sound and micro details when listening. Both amplifier sound absolutely great and make a comparison with an AB which is worth ten times their price.

Aiyima TPA3255 cons

Non anti Pop at startup. I do not understand why Aiyima missed this.... of something is wrong here since TPA3255 Ti chip is supposed to include it natively.
TPA3255 is supposed to deliver about 2x160W / 8 ohms
TPA3251 is supposed to deliver about 2x85 / 8 ohms

I can confirm you that there is only a little difference with volume knob at same clock...
I guess the Aiyima TPA3255 is strangely assembled...

Built quality .

Both are well built, great components , ELNA caps for TPA3251 and Nichicon caps for the TPA3255. The board is well made for both amplifiers, PCB seems also to be fine.
For the price, they are huge competitors.

Conclusion :

I personnaly prefer the Aiyima TPA3251, since it comes with a perfect speaker protection (over heat / anti pop etc). Regarding the design, both are really sober, the TPA3251 has a led volume knob which is a detail but really useful at night.
I also own the TPA3251 / 55 by 3E Audio but I keep on prefering the Aiyima TPA3251 board, especially because of the removable OAP ( 8 dip).

I will share my impressions with some Burson Audio V5i AOP next time VS OPA627 VS OPA 1622

Pictures :

Compare-1.jpg

Compare-2.jpg

Last edited:
daniboun,

Thanks for the direct comparison. I would expect the TPA3255 amp to work better with your 8 ohm speakers than the TPA3251. That is interesting that the TPA3255 amp does not suppress pops.

Have you tried the NJR MUSES02 op amps in both amps yet? You had mentioned in another post that the MUSES02 op amps sounded better than the OPA1622 op amps with your TPA3255 2.0 amp. I am getting OPA1622 op amps and OPA627AU op amps on DIP8 adapters to try in my TPA3251 amp.

Does the Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 amp have the right and left channels switched around as they are in the TPA3251 2.0 amp?

I noticed that Amazon.com has sold out the silver faced units.

daniboun,

Thanks for the direct comparison. I would expect the TPA3255 amp to work better with your 8 ohm speakers than the TPA3251. That is interesting that the TPA3255 amp does not suppress pops.

Have you tried the NJR MUSES02 op amps in both amps yet? You had mentioned in another post that the MUSES02 op amps sounded better than the OPA1622 op amps with your TPA3255 2.0 amp. I am getting OPA1622 op amps and OPA627AU op amps on DIP8 adapters to try in my TPA3251 amp.

Does the Aiyima TPA3255 2.0 amp have the right and left channels switched around as they are in the TPA3251 2.0 amp?

I noticed that Amazon.com has sold out the silver faced units.

I only tested the Muse 02 on the TPA3255. I am waiting for my Burson Audio AOP next week. The AOP 1622 works really fine (better than OPA627) on the TPA3251 for the moment, spent 2 hours listening at the Master Voice HD Album, absolutely crazy ! enjoy

But keep in Mind that my Double DAC AK4497 is also equiped with 4 AOP : 2x Muse 03 + 2 X OPA 1622.

As far as I know, I do not have my Left and Right channels inverted....on both )

Last edited: