TPA3250 somebody is listening?

Hello ,
This is my first message, I hope I won't make too many mistakes in English .
If I love music I am almost a total newbie in technics and even more in DIY .
This topic has been incredibly usefull for me , and I want to thank deeply all contributors
for the help provided by analysis and comments .
I have various Class D amps , and got my first SMSL 50 SA 50 three years ago and very surprised by the sound quality .
Then a decide to explore further the Class D planet and lately decided to buy the FX 502 S
I bought it here :
FX-AUDIO FX502SPRO Amplificateur Class D TPA3250 2x 80W 4 Ohm Noir
In the description products they inform :
" Le circuit embarque deux OP Amp NE5532 interchangeables. Une propriété qui fera le bonheur des amateurs de DIY et de ceux qui souhaitent personnaliser le rendu et moduler les composants en toute simplicité. "
Which means you could switch the original chips for others to customize the rendering of the sound .

So I went to search about the subject and find this topic which for sure I didn't understand everything BUT the answer with from strongbow60
" Then I swapped the op-amps from the NE5532 to the much better LME49720NA and things started to lighten up! Now there are much better resolution in the whole spectrum and there is the impression of a wider sound stage. The bass is not so dominant, it is the midrange (voices) and the treble that benefits most from the new op-amps. It might be even better from another several hours burn in. Time will tell. Later I will also check for any high frequency oscillation on the output of the LME op-amp's "
So I went to buy a apair of LME49720NA here :
Einloggen oder neu anmelden | eBay.
They arrived this morning and fixed with no much difficulty , for my first ever DIY operation ;-))

The result is EXCELLENT and i'm very happy
If this may help in any way here is my equipement :
All my music is stored on an external hardrive , many styles and formats as Flac,24-96, 24-192 and DSD .
I use Foobar 2000 , a iFi silencer , iFi Audio iDSDNano, FX Tube-01 preamp, FX 502 S pro and a pair of Magnat Supreme 2002 93 dB/W /1m .
In terms of clock the preamp is set to 12h , 12h as well for the DAC , and 9h50 for a conforatable listening around 70 dB .
Again " ! Now there are much better resolution in the whole spectrum and there is the impression of a wider sound stage. The bass is not so dominant, it is the midrange (voices) and the treble that benefits most from the new op-amps."
This is the perfect reflect of what I feel and listen now .
I realise I arrived late on this topic for the best , reading past experience of you all, thank's again and keep enjoying music !

Hi Cherman,

Thank you for you welcoming message,:) rather happy to start to belong to the community .

I take the opportunity to specify that the PSU included is a 24V /4a .
And that after 15 hours working non stop it was hotter than with the NE5532 .
Nothing alarming beacause I tested it all the day long at different levels than specified in my first post .
And often higher , never reaching the " Error" step .
Easy to cope with the "problem" slowing down the volume and increasing volume on DAC and Tube 01
to obtain the same level of sound .It's cooling down quite rapidly if you swith OFF.

Strongbow60 said about the LME49720NA " It might be even better from another several hours burn in "
In absence of any measurement, except my ears ;-) I would say that I agree, music sounding so beautifully
tonight !
Sings Sweet Songs for Swingers - Ella Fitzgerald | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

Hi cherman,

" my experience is that if you have somehting soundig better ==> less noise more darkness, quieter amp --> you set the volume up
so thats ok "
I totally agree, what I meant it was slightly warmer than what i'm used to feel before with NE5532 and other models of Class D
I had before ( SMSL SA -50 and Topping PA)
" did you something of our modifications here? "
Sorry I don't understand , the only modification on the amp was exchange of chips, nothing more

Lorenzo

Hi doctormord,

As I explain in my first post " I am almost a total newbie in technics and even more in DIY " and i should have add in technical language, wich is rather limited .
So to t
" there might be some kind of hf oscillation in the input stage now due to i.e. out-bad-noise coming from the dac."
I'm not sure to give you a correct answer, but the iFi dac has no external PSU except the USB connected to computer.
nano – iDSD.
If I set the volume at maximum with pream, dac and ampli, I haveabsolutely no noise out of the speakers .
I don't think there is any problem in functioning.
Thank you :)

I think one can look much closer to the 55MHz opamp for reasons :)
(I don't get notifications anymore from DIYaudio, somehow).
Chermann the YJ seems to show same distorted waveform at the higher outputlevel (you got from using a different psu), so still could have many sources, could also mean at same levels it might perform better or worse. Does EVM give same distorted waves as both chinese implementations ?

I think one can look much closer to the 55MHz opamp for reasons :)
(I don't get notifications anymore from DIYaudio, somehow).
Chermann the YJ seems to show same distorted waveform at the higher outputlevel (you got from using a different psu), so still could have many sources, could also mean at same levels it might perform better or worse. Does EVM give same distorted waves as both chinese implementations ?

Hi irribeo

lets discuss this in the TPA3255 thread...actually i plan a lot but my time is this week not enough for audio...btw i bought a differential scope probe ;)

Hi.
i tried 3250(FX), 3251 and 3255 and the winner was
FX with 3250 chip.
All three boards are modified with the lme49720 chip and the FX runs with an connexelectronix powersupply.
My speakers are sensitiv with 98dB/watt. But also with speakers at 90dB the Fx imho
was better.

To Lorenzo
the Sachsenwerk openbaffle

Attachments

• DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 574
  • DSC_0112.JPG
    DSC_0112.JPG
    559 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Hi Lorenzo
My speakers are a pair of sachsenwerk fieldcoils in open baffle and an other open bafflespeaker
with jensen F12N fieldcoil and Amt 1 from Heil.

Hi Krautxy,
Thank you very much, I made somme research on internet because I had never heard about such speakers :eek:;)
Very impressive ferrites at the back of speakers ! I had heard about open baffle but never see or heard such a system .
It sounds to me rather high end DIY and "reassured" ;) if I needed that you use as well a FX 502S customized.
I imagine you don't have to set volume much higher to move your speakers with 98dB/W !
Nice colors too, like the spanish flag.
German Magnat brand has not a large audience in France(i'm french) in the audiophile circle, and distibution products almost confidential.
But I think they are great ready made products in terms of price/quality.
Happy with my Magnat supreme 2002 in it's category, and I have as well a pair of bookshelf Magnat supreme 202 to listen outside
in my patio. I dream about a pair of Magnat Quantum 1009 S .
Test Magnat Quantum 1009 S : S comme sensationnelle ! | HDfever

Attachments

• Magnat patio.jpg
    Magnat patio.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 559
Glad to be of service :)

Hi strongbow60

So I have the opportunity to thank you personally for yours very helpfull comments :) I should do the same for jigglebones and KaffiMan,
which comments were understandable for my low level in technology but very efficient.
I am not an expert in sound, but I believe my ears,and never have such a good amp considering the price. " It might be even better from another several hours burn in " enough hours has passed now and I had time to listen to many styles
of music and everytime the same surprise of such clear sound in all spectrum.
In others words you get exactly what is the recording and a "simple" Flac format could be outstanding (ECM productions for instance).
installing LME49720NA was an incredible upgrade !
Thank's again ! ;)

danke krautxy, very informative and helpful, I am surprised with your result actually, and am happy to hear you do have them running with lme49720 as well as a proper powersupply. In any case, you just saved me $100, so thank you Heres some more info that others may find interesting: I have tried LME49860 in addition to the LME49720HA "metal can" version. The 49860 simply doesnt sound as good, its just kind of wrong, less detail more boomy. The LME49720 metal can were not as good as I was expecting, and I ended up preferring the DIP8, however this may have been due to me doing a poor job on the soldering to the TO99 to DIP adapter (although they did work correctly with no shorts, I could detect some channel imbalance and the lower end of the spectrum was not to my liking--however the mids and highs did sound cleaner to me, if slightly less natural). All in all that was about 50$usd I wasted on OPAMPS i will not use, but hopefully some of you can benefit from this information
My current setup is jdslabs OLdac>BJC RCA cable>fx502s (v3) (lme49720)(Tekpower TP3005T linear reg PSU @ 24V>belden 12ga wire x8meter>philharmonic audio BMR (-85db/w) typical listening volume will be about 9oclock to 12oclock on the amp, more than that can get too loud and maybe lose some definition there. within my listening level it sounds nearly perfect though, from 30hz bass up to the full spectrum to be honest I have found 0 limitation on this setup, and it satisfies me every day with any use-- music electronic to dubstep to jazz, movies old and new, modern cinematic games, tv shows FX has produced something very unique with this little box, and we are lucky to have it.
I have told my more more traditional audiophile friend about it and hes still very skeptical that my ~$180 worth of amp, psu can be on par with his $3000+ tube amps, but I believe it may be so. My speakers arent even particularly sensitive at -85db/W, but the FX has no problem with them If fx doesnt release a more premium version of this I may pick up a v5 later down the line, have there been any significant difference with this new revision other than the white PCB?
I would also love to try doctormod's builds as they look very impressive, but I have no idea how to even get them or if he even sells them. The FX is easily available and they even have stock in US now.
Hi.
i tried 3250(FX), 3251 and 3255 and the winner was
FX with 3250 chip.
All three boards are modified with the lme49720 chip and the FX runs with an connexelectronix powersupply.
My speakers are sensitiv with 98dB/watt. But also with speakers at 90dB the Fx imho
was better.

Last edited:
See post #98. LME49720 seems to be a good choice, although LME49860 is even better according to the chip-monks :) but very expensive and only available in surface mount. But please use a very small capacitor in the feedback loop to improve stability.

hi strangbow60

can you please explain the idea (size and typ of cap) what you mentioned in your post?
Thank you in advance

chris