TPA3250 somebody is listening?

Datasheet is quoted at 24v and 8 ohms. :)

I apologize in advance, but: Now you are being difficult. The Datasheet is not only specified in 24v, there are references for 6v, 12v and 24v. The output mosfets have a limit to how much current they can pump out, and it is not recommended to go over 21v when powering 4ohm speakers.
Do not remember where I got the 21v PSU = 8ohm 25w 10% THD number from, but as I did quite a lot of digging about it at the time, I still stand by those numbers.
I do not know what everyone else choose to do, but I like to make sure the amplifier will have no problem driving half impedance loads, just as a safety measure.

Edit:
It seems the newest revision (Version G from December 2017) of the datasheet mixes the 3116, 3118 and 3130. I can not see any marked links between distortion measurements and the chip used. But they suggest using 21v with TPA3116 on 4 ohm loads, and 24v with TPA3118 at 8 ohm loads.

Last edited:
If the sudden volume increase is around 9 o'clock (and not 3 o'clock) it may be because they have used a linear potentiometer where it should be logarithmic for a more smooth increase of volume.
You cannot hear the difference between one and two potentiometers with respect to distortion.
If you do not feel sure opening the amplifier, keep it closed and use another potentiometer at the input (such as in a pre-amplifier).

That is good to know!
Thank you :)

Good eveneing

i got my amps ( i bought 2:D) ,,,,,but.......... i have the same topic with the volume knob.:eek:

to be fair
actually i have just an old 4 ohm FR speaker 13cm - and a big 8 ohm Resistor for the second channel.
for burn in :
i go directly from a cd player over fixed RCA into the amp --> into the single speaker. maybe this is causing the sensitivity. it should be better with streaming over laptop and DAC to the amp. then i guess the volum is better adjustable...

actually the volume knob is about 7 o clock or 8 o clock.
i will check with my KEF Q100 and give you feedback.:)

Good eveneing

i got my amps ( i bought 2:D) ,,,,,but.......... i have the same topic with the volume knob.:eek:

to be fair
actually i have just an old 4 ohm FR speaker 13cm - and a big 8 ohm Resistor for the second channel.
for burn in :
i go directly from a cd player over fixed RCA into the amp --> into the single speaker. maybe this is causing the sensitivity. it should be better with streaming over laptop and DAC to the amp. then i guess the volum is better adjustable...

actually the volume knob is about 7 o clock or 8 o clock.
i will check with my KEF Q100 and give you feedback.:)

so my music chain is as following:
laptop-tidal volume 63% - DAC Gustard A20H - over RCA -FX502pro at volume knob 11 0´clock - KEF Q100 (flow port closed)
so i think its fine over streaming....

up to now.....album knock out 2000 .....artist - charly antolini.....title...Duwadjuwandadu
artist jestofunk.....title...say it again..........no error light :D

lets burn in....

Last edited:
Kaffimann, I think you're right but this amp is for a friend of mine :) His speaker went pretty loud with a tpa3116 so I hope this will work for him. I use the 3e tpa3255 on my Xtz 99.26 and I'm really happy with the performance :) I wonder if this amp would handle 30V with alu column connecting the chip to the upper outer shell? And also an L bracket connecting the voltage regulator to the bottom shell. I've done this with a breeze audio tpa3116 amp and it works really well. What else needs to be changed to handle the higher voltage?

Last edited:
Kaffimann, I think you're right but this amp is for a friend of mine :) His speaker went pretty loud with a tpa3116 so I hope this will work for him. I use the 3e tpa3255 on my Xtz 99.26 and I'm really happy with the performance :) I wonder if this amp would handle 30V with alu column connecting the chip to the upper outer shell? And also an L bracket connecting the voltage regulator to the bottom shell. I've done this with a breeze audio tpa3116 amp and it works really well. What else needs to be changed to handle the higher voltage?

please can you show me pics from your mods?
thanks

i contact the seller and inform him about this topic...we will see which information i will get back...

strange feedback...

Dear, the parcel has been signed. If you are satisfied, please give us a five-star rating. If you can bring our product together to evaluate then it is even more perfect. Greeting you

and if i explain them the topic about the sensitivity of this volume knob and that it would be better to have a log potentiometer i get this:

I'm very glad to receive your reply. Good advice to us is very helpful to us. I also want to know some specific evaluation results. Can you tell me where else? Looking forward for your reply, thank you

polite but no technical solution......
:D;):D

so next step is DIY

strange feedback...

Dear, the parcel has been signed. If you are satisfied, please give us a five-star rating. If you can bring our product together to evaluate then it is even more perfect. Greeting you

and if i explain them the topic about the sensitivity of this volume knob and that it would be better to have a log potentiometer i get this:

I'm very glad to receive your reply. Good advice to us is very helpful to us. I also want to know some specific evaluation results. Can you tell me where else? Looking forward for your reply, thank you

polite but no technical solution......

so next step is DIY

Can you maybe tell me what you wrote to him (the correspondence)? So I can make a same kind of remark,
Maybe when more people adress the issue, somethings get done :)
I don't know if I can name the seller that I have or is this against form policy?
(I don't how to edit posts afterwards so that is why I ask ;))

Can you maybe tell me what you wrote to him (the correspondence)? So I can make a same kind of remark,
Maybe when more people adress the issue, somethings get done :)
I don't know if I can name the seller that I have or is this against form policy?
(I don't how to edit posts afterwards so that is why I ask ;))

Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store

1 amp test: after first listening check i have to inform you that the volume button is just moved from zero very less and the sound is getting loud!
54.gif
so its not possible to adjust a usefull speaker volume with this.
36.gif
i checked all quality sticker and there are all ok. I go with normal RCA connection from an CD player to the amsp rca so it is normal voltsge input.

2nd
sorry. i cannot give you 5 stars because something is wrong with the potentiometer - that effect the volume of the amp

Impuls60: I think this amp should work very well with anything the tpa 3116 worked with, quite possibly better. If you would post a comparison when you or your friend tries the new amp it would be appreciated.
I am not certain what would need to be changed for 30v psu, should work well with no mods I suppose.
Not sure how you would go about connecting the chip by a bar to the chassis to transmit thermal energy, other than if you change the box to something else. At any rate it should work within spec without mods, just some circuits that get hotter but not critical.

I'll come back with some feedback once he receives the amp! I usally make a copper column(local scrapper usally has copper in 1cm thickness) and jam that between the chip and the lid. I usally use some super glue in a corner or two of the chip, and and thermal paste the rest of the chip's surface. It's also possible to use thermal glue.. The trick is to cut the copper column to perfect length, usally the pcb has 0.5mm give to it. So when i put the lid back on, the column is held in place from the lid pressuring down.. I think its also possible to buy a copper or brass rod on ebay very cheap. This way the heat is transfered to the big aluminium lid and dissipates :) I can run the tpa3116 at almost clipping@24V and the breeze amp only gets lukewarm.

Last edited:
Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store

1 amp test: after first listening check i have to inform you that the volume button is just moved from zero very less and the sound is getting loud!
54.gif
so its not possible to adjust a usefull speaker volume with this.
36.gif
i checked all quality sticker and there are all ok. I go with normal RCA connection from an CD player to the amsp rca so it is normal voltsge input.

2nd
sorry. i cannot give you 5 stars because something is wrong with the potentiometer - that effect the volume of the amp

Some warning! I just switched the power switch on my power strip, I for got witch one (I have one for my turntable, tube buffer etc and one for my laptop.
Normally I connect the amplifiers to the same unit, but more out of coincidence I connected to the other one.
Because my ta2020 amp does not have a power switch I use the one of the power switch. Without thinking that much I turn it off.
a loud POP! happened! I was worried that my speaker where damaged, but thank god noting happened. The amp error LED lighted up and shut down.
I could power him on with no damage.
So a word of caution, only turn the amp off with the dedicated switch!
But what is remarkable is that Volume knop is better adjustable :) I still goes loud, but the adjustment is more gradually and even.
I can live with this potentiometer now :) So maybe Thinks chance a little when the amp is burned in ?
(To be on the save side, maybe it is my imagination and am more used to it now, so maybe your experience is different)
At this moment I don't feel to send a complaint to my seller, I can live with it :)

...first sound check..FX 502Pro...

So after burn in from friday 6 o´clock PM up to now first impression:

this is my first cheap class D amp in my sound chain.

everything ist original on the amp. origianl psu, no modding - the sealed stickers are in tact :D

notbook Tidal-Jplay-USB to DAC Gustard A20H - RCA viablue NF 6 (silver) to amp - XLO reference speakercable to sonus faber venre 1.5 (flow port cloes with foam)

if sound for this package is very good. the soundstage is neuteral und quick in mid an highs with no taste of being nervous. the rythme is fine and its fun to listenen.
the bass i actually low but the punch could be better. my first impresssion is that if you hit a drum the skin is not tight enough.

chris

Impuls60: I think this amp should work very well with anything the tpa 3116 worked with, quite possibly better. If you would post a comparison when you or your friend tries the new amp it would be appreciated.
I am not certain what would need to be changed for 30v psu, should work well with no mods I suppose.
Not sure how you would go about connecting the chip by a bar to the chassis to transmit thermal energy, other than if you change the box to something else. At any rate it should work within spec without mods, just some circuits that get hotter but not critical.

hi kaffiman

yes this amp is very good for about 60 Euros.
you wrote something about 30V psu. i am not sure but somebody wrote about mod the opamps that the max psu voltage should not more then 26V - this is for all moding opamps !

mybe i am wrong?

chris

music examples

chilled cream - blank& jones - relax edition 4
armband - steffano Bollani - Gleda
Beat - Tingvall Trio - Beat

Madrigal - Marialy Pacheco - Introducing
Don´t let me be missunderstood - Lyambiko - Saffronia special edition
Celestial Echo - Malia & Boris blank - Convergence
Movín - Gregory Porter - Liquit Spirit

Adam Ben Ezra --"Flamenco"

Some warning! I just switched the power switch on my power strip, I for got witch one (I have one for my turntable, tube buffer etc and one for my laptop.
Normally I connect the amplifiers to the same unit, but more out of coincidence I connected to the other one.
Because my ta2020 amp does not have a power switch I use the one of the power switch. Without thinking that much I turn it off.
a loud POP! happened! I was worried that my speaker where damaged, but thank god noting happened. The amp error LED lighted up and shut down.
I could power him on with no damage.
So a word of caution, only turn the amp off with the dedicated switch!
But what is remarkable is that Volume knop is better adjustable :) I still goes loud, but the adjustment is more gradually and even.
I can live with this potentiometer now :) So maybe Thinks chance a little when the amp is burned in ?
(To be on the save side, maybe it is my imagination and am more used to it now, so maybe your experience is different)
At this moment I don't feel to send a complaint to my seller, I can live with it :)

Hi

for party use with a smartphone or other source with less max output power or voltage e.g. 600mV rms the volume setup is ok becuase of big gain

for fixed output from other sources CD, DAC etc... over rca it is not adjustable nicely for me.
over streaming its much better

cu
chris