TPA3116D2 Amp

At 1.2 MHz the speaker itself can be the filter. I have seen the 3110 run with just a ferrite bead as a filter. What is the advantage of not having a filter? I suppose it is easy enough to bypass with a wire jumper across the two connections on the coil.
I'm running my 3116 without any of the suggested filters, just $16.9 bare board and one long speaker wire of 12ft+.
The amp is silent, it is left on permanantly with the volume pot untouched.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm running my 3116 without any of the suggested filters, just $16.9 bare board and one long speaker wire of 12ft+.
The amp is silent, it is left on permanantly with the volume pot untouched.

When you say you are running filterless, do you mean you removed the stock 22 uH inductors and capacitors that form the output stage filter? There is the filter to lo-pass the output to block the class D switching frequency and then there is a RC network after that to suppress the EMI that may be generated.

When you say you are running filterless, do you mean you removed the stock 22 uH inductors and capacitors that form the output stage filter? There is the filter to lo-pass the output to block the class D switching frequency and then there is a RC network after that to suppress the EMI that may be generated.
I've not touched the board other than to remove the DC in socket.
Ti recommends the inclusion of ferrite beads and capacitors on the speaker cables to minimize interference with surrounding circuits.
I have not made these additions and have noticed no interference with other components.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This may be a little OT but if you guys like the sound of the TI class D, check out the TAS5630 300 watt amp. This one has a built in 50 volt SMPS (which usually costs more than the amp itself).

Aliexpress.com : Buy TAS5630 AND SMPS AII IN ONE BOARD from Reliable tas5630 suppliers on SINEWAVE SAMPLE STORE

If you want a TAS5630 made by same company that makes the red PCB TPA3116D2, you can get that for $50 here:

New TAS5630 300W 300W Class D Stereo Amplifier Board | eBay

$(KGrHqV,!okFHV6j5C5RBR-KI1E8nw~~60_57.JPG

I am looking at this for powering a 25 driver (per channel) line array. There is extensive EQ'ing in the bass region which is where the extra power is going to be needed.

Last edited:
This may be a little OT but if you guys like the sound of the TI class D, check out the TAS5630 300 watt amp. This one has a built in 50 volt SMPS (which usually costs more than the amp itself).

Aliexpress.com : Buy TAS5630 AND SMPS AII IN ONE BOARD from Reliable tas5630 suppliers on SINEWAVE SAMPLE STORE

If you want a TAS5630 made by same company that makes the red PCB TPA3116D2, you can get that for $50 here:

New TAS5630 300W 300W Class D Stereo Amplifier Board | eBay

$(KGrHqV,!okFHV6j5C5RBR-KI1E8nw~~60_57.JPG

I am looking at this for powering a 25 driver (per channel) line array. There is extensive EQ'ing in the bass region which is where the extra power is going to be needed.

But does it share the same sound quality as the TPA chips?

Looks like the fun provided by these 17$ toys never ends :p

It's a blast trying wring as much performance as you can out of a little board like this.
The only thing I've had to buy so far were the coils from HK.
They sound quite good and better than the stock parts. They run warm but not hot (around 48-50C). After a couple of weeks now, the little guy is driving these big speakers quite well. You're right Lo_Tse, it is fun.

Attachments

• i-k73h4ff-L.jpg
    i-k73h4ff-L.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,472
Last edited:
It's a blast trying wring as much performance as you can out of a little board like this.
They sound quite good and better than the stock parts. They run warm but not hot (around 48-50C). After a couple of weeks now, the little guy is driving these big speakers quite well. You're right Lo_Tse, it is fun.

Cool. Still boggled why these chips haven't become more popular. Maybe it's the lower power. I am using the $10 Parts Express TPA 3110 and it's the best amp I've owned at least in terms of diy - I have not tinkered with it in almost a year which is a record for me with diy, that's how much I've enjoyed it compared to Tripath, tube amps, solid state, and other Class D I've played with. I just don't even think about it or want to fiddle with it. For inveterate tweakers that's as good as it gets.

These TPAs are diamonds in the rough.

At 1.2 MHz the speaker itself can be the filter. I have seen the 3110 run with just a ferrite bead as a filter. What is the advantage of not having a filter? I suppose it is easy enough to bypass with a wire jumper across the two connections on the coil.

I suppose inductors is not linear especially at high power. Who care about inductor flavor of the month debate or inclusive/exclusive feedback debate when we can simply ignore the inductors effects. At 1.2mhz switching, its yummy!

Couldn't help but notice your Edison Price Binding posts. Yesterday I had pulled mine out of storage, gave them a bath in tarnish remover, and will be adding them to my TPA 3110 when my little Meanwell gets here. Can't wait.

Couldn't help but notice your Edison Price Binding posts. Yesterday I had pulled mine out of storage, gave them a bath in tarnish remover, and will be adding them to my TPA 3110 when my little Meanwell gets here. Can't wait.

These binding posts are actually unplated posts from Cardas, (very similar to the Edison Price parts). Which Meanwell supply did you order for your 3110?

These binding posts are actually unplated posts from Cardas, (very similar to the Edison Price parts). Which Meanwell supply did you order for your 3110?
They do look very similar, fooled me. I wanted small form factor so paid $11.00 for a MW 12v 1.3 amp 15 watt. Amazed, it's the same size as the amp board. We also think alike on supports;bases. At the moment the bamboo cutting board and rosewood hardwood sample I had will be serving mounting duties; 6"x8".

Last edited:

KJA

Interesting, did you use the XLR type plug as the power supply connection?

By the way, did you get those coil from Ebay? Would you mind sharing the the name of the vendor?

Thanks!

Regards,

KJA

Interesting, did you use the XLR type plug as the power supply connection?

By the way, did you get those coil from Ebay? Would you mind sharing the the name of the vendor?

Thanks!

Regards,

Yes, the XLR connector is for connecting the power supply.

The coils were purchased for a TA2020 based amp that I am using but I thought I'd try it on this amp as well. I'm thinking of getting some Bourns 22uH coils to see how they compare to these since this board comes with the 22s. The seller was cloudcloud1018. They were $4 plus $3 shipping from HK.

I have a nice looking chassis to mount this board in once I'm done experimenting with parts. I'm making the amp for a friend of mine.

Yes, the XLR connector is for connecting the power supply.

The coils were purchased for a TA2020 based amp that I am using but I thought I'd try it on this amp as well. I'm thinking of getting some Bourns 22uH coils to see how they compare to these since this board comes with the 22s. The seller was cloudcloud1018. They were $4 plus $3 shipping from HK.

I have a nice looking chassis to mount this board in once I'm done experimenting with parts. I'm making the amp for a friend of mine.

Thanks!

I like the way you set up the "box" for the amp (as per the photo a few posts ago). Two pieces of acrylic plates should work well. I am going to give this a try (I was never good at building chasis).

Let us known how the Bourn 22 uH coils work.

Regards,