TPA3116D2 Amp

Hi
Does anyone have any experience with this board: TPA3116 Class-D Power Amplifier Board Support STEREO - 50Wx2 or MONO PBTL - 100W | eBay

I am looking for a board that is compact, easy to convert to PBTL mono, and work off 26vdc.

This is Hiamp's board. Apparently, all parts used are genuine brand name components. The circuit is the same as the TI evaluation board, so should work fine. Strange enough I do not believe this board has been discussed and commented on in this thread.

Hope it helps

I'm running two of these boards in a dual mono setup and they sound great. He built me a custom kit with the connecting cable, rca's , and a pot. I'm running both of them off of an Astron 12v power supply. I've been using this setup for about a year now without any issues.

Hi
Does anyone have any experience with this board: TPA3116 Class-D Power Amplifier Board Support STEREO - 50Wx2 or MONO PBTL - 100W | eBay

I am looking for a board that is compact, easy to convert to PBTL mono, and work off 26vdc.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My Xmas Amp (TPA3118D2 PBTL postage stamps)

My order of these cute amps just arrived from Aliexpress. Nicely packaged in individual antistatic sealed bag and then bubble wrap.

523798d1452316718-tpa3116d2-amp-sanwu-pbtl-2.png

523797d1452316718-tpa3116d2-amp-sanwu-pbtl-1.png

Thanks to Bughemeiste for the tip.

TPA3118 PBTL mono digital amplifier board 1X60W 12V 24V POWER AMP-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

They look very nicely made, pretty hiqh quality in appearance and layout is tight. Can't get small ceramic decoupler cap or bootstraps any closer. Looks to have a power LED even. Those inductors are pretty small though.

It is printed "Sanwu" on back so I guess we call this Sanwu Blue PBTL.

It is tiny and I can see how these are ideal for integrating internally inside a small speaker. You could stick it anywhere.

I expect them to sound great. :)

Hook up tomorrow...

Well it took me a bit longer than tomorrow to hook them up...

I put all four monoblocks into a case for a 4 channel active amp to be used with a miniDSP. The case is a cardboard Xmas chocolate box with magnetic snap lid, hence I will call this the "Xmas Amp". I am using RG-174 coax from RCA's to the amp, 18 ga stranded wires for power, and doubled-up solid core 22 ga copper for connection from amp out to binding posts. For output connection, I have some nice 5-way banana binding posts, and 4x RCA inputs, and room inside the box leftover for the miniDSP later.

Here are some photos. The amp even has an SMT red LED power on indicator.

525358d1452917328-tpa3116d2-amp-tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-inside.png

525359d1452917328-tpa3116d2-amp-tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-outside.png

I hooked up a 5ohm 50w dummy load resistor, used a 24v SMPS, and clocked 17.36 volts as measured with a Fluke 101. The resistors were smokin' hot and outgassing something serious stinky smells (I could not touch them), the amp chip was hot and not comfortable to touch, the inductors (surprise), were barely warm. I ran for 5 minutes with 1kHz and the thermal shutoff never tripped. So it's a bonafide 60w into 5ohm amp.

525360d1452917328-tpa3116d2-amp-tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-power-test.png

I listened to it and was *REALLY* pleasantly surprised. In stock form, it sounds excellent. Great bass authority driving my 6.5in woofers in a 2-way (GR Research XL-S). Highs are clear and with good resolution and transparency. Ran through about 10 of my typical test tracks and they all sound good.

In summary, this amp is an excellent value, sounds great and is tiny. I highly recommend it.

Attachments

• tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-inside.png
    tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-inside.png
    531.4 KB · Views: 1,381
  • tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-outside.png
    tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-outside.png
    518.5 KB · Views: 4,879
  • tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-power-test.png
    tpa3118d2-pbtl-xmas-amp-power-test.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 4,408
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Is there any turn on / off "pop" noise to this board ?
Can terminal blocks be mounted to the input & outputs ?
I have a spare enclosure and dont mind giving this a go!

523797d1452316718-tpa3116d2-amp-sanwu-pbtl-1.png

I am guessing a 5mm pin spacing terminal block could be used. I actually ordered some but decided to direct solder for best connection integrity.

I did not notice any excessive popping noises compared to my other TPA amps, but it is not completely silent on turn on. However there is a mute connection on board that could easily be connected to a switch before powering on/off.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just double checked turn on/off thump. This amp is much quieter than my others with a barely noticeable turn on click (not a thump), and no noise or click/thump from turning off. I am also discovering that since the PCB is the heatsink, it can get rather warm so my old standby technique of hot melt gluing the PCB to the case doesn't work. Glue softens up and board comes off. Especially my 5 minute 60w stress test.

If you really want to run this board at 60w, I would suggest getting a sheet of heatsink thermally conductive silicone and placing it underneath the PCB and screwing the board down onto a sheet of aluminum to clamp the silicone sheet down onto a heatsink or metal amp enclosure wall. Does not have to be a big heatsink but maybe a 4in x 6in sheet of 1/8in aluminum would work for all 4 amps.

Edit: even simpler, just use silicone RTV to glue the bottom face of this amp to a sheet of aluminum being careful to not let any protruding pins touch the metal.

I measured the pin spacing and it is ~4.6mm not 5mm for a terminal block.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice little amp! What is standard gain ?

It's higher than 26dB, probably next step up 32dB? It sounds much louder at my usual volume knob and is the perfect match to be driven by my iPhone for good sound level. I am too lazy to get the magnfier out and trace the resistor settings. Although, the interested reader can probably zoom in on my photo and figure it out.

I will post a high res photo if anyone is interested in digging...

525409d1452939293-tpa3116d2-amp-blu-sanwu-3118d2-closeup.png

Attachments

• Blu-Sanwu-3118d2-closeup.png
    Blu-Sanwu-3118d2-closeup.png
    952.6 KB · Views: 897