TPA3116D2 Amp

Please, correct me if i'm wrong: In PBTL mode, with 25v supply it will start clipping right after 79W RMS @ 4 Ohms, right ?

I really appreciate your inputs.

Thank you

That depends on what you mean by "start clipping". I usually define that as the THD+N=1% point which would be at 64Wrms for the above conditions. The THD+N=10% is what I'd consider very bad clipping but that would be at 79Wrms for the above conditions.

That depends on what you mean by "start clipping". I usually define that as the THD+N=1% point which would be at 64Wrms for the above conditions. The THD+N=10% is what I'd consider very bad clipping but that would be at 79Wrms for the above conditions.

I call it clipping when the sound is able to really scare the #$* out of me and It usually happens at 10% . I will set the power limit to the middle point or 70W RMS.

Thank you

Inductors get real hot at 26v...

I am glad you have commented on this topic....

Since I cannot edit my previous post I would like to add that I have not pushed this board with the stock inductors for a long period of time but I am pretty sure that the stock inductors are under rated and will sature with ease. If you plan to do push the board or do the pbtl mode then you should consider replacing the inductors with something like the following

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor==

7443631000 Wurth Electronics | Mouser

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I call it clipping when the sound is able to really scare the #$* out of me and It usually happens at 10% . I will set the power limit to the middle point or 70W RMS.

Thank you

I am glad you have commented on this topic....

Since I cannot edit my previous post I would like to add that I have not pushed this board with the stock inductors for a long period of time but I am pretty sure that the stock inductors are under rated and will sature with ease. If you plan to do push the board or do the pbtl mode then you should consider replacing the inductors with something like the following

Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor==

7443631000 Wurth Electronics | Mouser

Two of those inductors cost more than the amp board! Maybe Saturnus' suggestion to ditch them and use ferrite beads with runs less than 1 m is the way to go?

Two of those inductors cost more than the amp board! Maybe Saturnus' suggestion to ditch them and use ferrite beads with runs less than 1 m is the way to go?

I am sorry, I have some kind of addiction on what concerns expensive inductors and I will put the blame on tripath.
Basically you need an inductor that can perform atleast like the one, in the first link I have provided that now I see is broken. Here
Ferrite beads should sound better for less money. I am a little paranoid and will use this kind of filter only to make powered speakers, with very short connections.
This one may work well but I am sure someone else has mentioned a better bang for the buck. Also consider shortening the distance between the filters and the connection to your speakers cable to increase filter efficiency. For a pbtl config and with this kind of filter you may need to increase the value of caps to 1500/1800pF . Saturnus knows best.

[]'s

I am sorry, I have some kind of addiction on what concerns expensive inductors and I will put the blame on tripath.
Basically you need an inductor that can perform atleast like the one, in the first link I have provided that now I see is broken. Here
Ferrite beads should sound better for less money. I am a little paranoid and will use this kind of filter only to make powered speakers, with very short connections.
This one may work well but I am sure someone else has mentioned a better bang for the buck. Also consider shortening the distance between the filters and the connection to your speakers cable to increase filter efficiency. For a pbtl config and with this kind of filter you may need to increase the value of caps to 1500/1800pF . Saturnus knows best.

[]'s

No. I don't know best. It's suggestions. What works best in your case could be entirely different than what works best in my case. And in truth, "ditching" the LC filter for a ferrite bead one is not as simple as it sounds. It works best with active speakers because the optimum ferrite bead will depend on your speakers so you basically tie the amp to a particular speaker, or at least very narrow range of similar types of speakers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

This is a good feature set as it has adjustable sub woofer low pass from 80 Hz to 500 Hz.

Specification:
- Voltage:12-25V
- Power output:50w x 2 +super bass 100w
- size:125x74x25mm
- Left/Right channel output-- can drive 3-16ohm speaker when under 24v rated voltage
- Super low volume can drive 2-16ohm speaker when under 24v rated voltage
- 80Hz-500Hz frequency adjustable

How does this amp compare to the TDA7297 Class AB amp?

Fight! Fight! Fight!

TPA3116 vs TDA7297.jpg

What do you mean? Surprised or?

added.
Ah, do you mean the manufactures?

Yes the makers of these boards. This is the only forum discussing the TPA3116 at all much less using PBTL, so that's very quick turnaround. Remember the first ebay boards appeared right after this thread started as well... Several people have been asking about PBTL version and poof here it is...

Last edited:
Yes the makers of these boards. This is the only forum discussing the TPA3116 at all much less using PBTL, so that's very quick turnaround. Remember the first ebay boards appeared right after this thread started as well... Several people have been asking about PBTL version and poof here it is...

This IC was also being talked about a bit elsewhere before this thread. I've been aware of it for nearly a year now. Is it the threads or just the chips merits though? Both perhaps?

This IC was also being talked about a bit elsewhere before this thread. I've been aware of it for nearly a year now. Is it the threads or just the chips merits though? Both perhaps?

The only other thread I'm aware of where this chip was discussed at length was the one I started last year. Maybe there are more but that one and this one are the only two that are ongoing. I know because I've been advocating for these chips since I heard the TBI Millenia amp last year. No one was talking about them prior to that. Only the older TPA3122/3 chips and not much attention paid to those either. I know because I looked everywhere. I don't believe the HK/China manufacturers care one whit about the board's merits. It's the interest generated by these threads. I'm grateful to folks like xrk and KJA and other for detailing their builds (I don't have the technical expertise, I just knew that these chips sounded damn good and wanted to drum up interest ).

Last edited:
been browsing through this thread for a few days now & i'm interested in building one. there are several versions of this board online, i also see this new board they're calling "deluxe version" or "luxury version"

TPA3116 2 1 Amplifier Board Deluxe Version | eBay

among all these boards, which would you guys say the best or recommend?

i also see several recommendations for psu, which one do you think would perform best.

TIA

If they're paying that much attention to this thread then is annoying that they haven't shrunk the board at least to be less than 66mm wide yet so that it can be used in many of the most popular portable audio designs which have an electronics compartment limited by the width of a standard 7Ah SLA, ie. 66mm. Even better if it was 60x100mm so that it'd fit a typically used Hammond 1590N1 case (or replica).