TPA3116D2 Amp

China owns 1.28 trillion of US debt, I do not think you can get to that position by producing crap?
If interest rates ever begin to rise, there will be big trouble for many economies around the world
I am just stating what I witnessed, working as an engineer and heard from reliable sources, that lived in China and have immigrated. Like I say to my friends, there is talking about the Chinese, as you witness in the culture in North America and then there is working for them for 5 years.
Can anyone say they have done the same? then we can discuss at that level.
The co. brought in ballasts, under cut Philips making there own ballasts, you may have hard of them, Advance Transformer, all to undercut the next guy. Same with panasonic bathroom fans, can you believe the co. could make a CFL ballast cheaper than Matsushita Electric? we are counting pennies here.
Yes, I do understand the debt/economic issues, ( BTW, I do live off of the stock markets/bonds, DOW,NASDAC,TSE) but it has little/nothing to do with if you "producing crap" or not. It is because of an adjustment in workers wealth, in part due to muti-nationals co's, that I now get my existence off off, it is viscous circle, sorry to say, but this is capitalizm.
I was quite surprised that my new Tektronix scope,DPO4034 was mfg in China, go figure.
You know when I bought my house in 1990, interest rates were 10.5%, so I took a 2 year, at renewal time they were 13%, so I took a 1 year, they have fallen ever since. People are like gov's they are not good money managers!!
I worked with some very nice US EE's, I asked a nice EE one time, at the xmas party in Colorado, how does the US do it?, he said Rick, you have understand it is a war based economy, so I have stopped asking.

Still, that LC bugs me. I'm not sure id want a complex load on the end of that.
Ya don't know what to say, I just listen to it (TPA3100D2) through my nice speakers all day and it ain't tiresome, so I can tell, I go to bed at the same time :) Still workin on if it is the culprit with my AM radio being screwed up. Also workin on TPA3116/18 design, one day, it is on the list.

Last edited:
You know when I bought my house in 1990, interest rates were 10.5%, so I took a 2 year, at renewal time they were 13%, so I took a 1 year, they have fallen ever since. People are like gov's they are not good money managers!!
QUOTE]
We came to Canada in 82 from the UK and for the first year we paid 18.5% interest rate. Thems were tough times, moving to a new country with 3 young children.
I would love to get get the interest rate on my savings they were getting back then.
I really do enjoy my Chinese 3116 board, I should try to make a box for it.

Radiosmuck & others,

Makes you wonder what would be left of North America/world, if interest rates ever got back what they were in the 80's. I guess this is why the gov's are eating up so much debt, borrowing from the Chinese and others in order to keep rates low?

These TI class "D" amps are really nice, makes you wonder why anyone needs ppm levels of THD?
Yes a nice box would be fitting. A few have shown some really nice work.

I finally got around to picking up some different inductors.

In one of my TPA3116s, I’ve been using some 10uH inductors that I originally bought on Ebay to put in a TA2020 and they sounded quite a bit better than the stock inductors in the 3116 but they ran quite warm and caused the chip to run warmer too.
652-2100HT-100-V-RC
Today I swapped them out for these Bourns parts (Mouser -652-2100HT-100-V-RC).

I think they are well worth the 9 bucks and I highly recommend them!

They are physically larger but sound great and they don’t heat up like the others I bought on Ebay.

Next will be to try these inductors from ICE (Mouser - 911-1D14A-100M) and hear how they compare.

The TPA3116D2 continues to impress me.

Attachments

• i-9TM8b3p-S.jpg
    i-9TM8b3p-S.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,192
  • i-595P6zt-M.jpg
    i-595P6zt-M.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • i-SSZnM4b-M.jpg
    i-SSZnM4b-M.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,164
  • i-6ZzKskF-M.jpg
    i-6ZzKskF-M.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • i-Rm7g357-M.jpg
    i-Rm7g357-M.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,167
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

In one of my TPA3116s, I’ve been using some 10uH inductors that I originally bought on Ebay to put in a TA2020 and they sounded quite a bit better than the stock inductors in the 3116 but they ran quite warm and caused the chip to run warmer too.
652-2100HT-100-V-RC

They are physically larger but sound great and they don’t heat up like the others I bought on Ebay.

Next will be to try these inductors from ICE (Mouser - 911-1D14A-100M) and hear how they compare.

Which are the photos of the Bournes inductors?

652-2100HT-100-V-RC

KJA,

Very interesting finding. Can you tell me how did you desolder the original inductor:eek:? Cannot even see the solder joints since it is covered by the inductors.

Regards,

KJA,

Very interesting finding. Can you tell me how did you desolder the original inductor:eek:? Cannot even see the solder joints since it is covered by the inductors.

Regards,

You can see the edge of the pad on both sides.... I was able to remove them unscathed but be willing to sacrifice the part to maintain the integrity of the traces.

Attachments

• i-mwhVvhF-L.jpg
    i-mwhVvhF-L.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,099

The ones from Mouser are listed as Class D filter inductors and have adequate current ratings...looks good.

What I would like to see in the data sheets is the self resonance frequency of these inductors.

I would not like to use an element that is acting like a capacitor in a Class D filter.

Small TPA3110 runs filterless and sounds good, and I did not notice any problems even with my 10m loudspeaker cable. Wushuliu reported good performance and Chakija (on diyaudio.rs) tried and liked it with his Pi clone speakers. I'm no expert,maybe 3110 uses somethig else for filtering...

They seemed like a good choice to me too, but there are so many 10uH inductors to choose from. Have you used these before?

They are used in the amp10 from 41hz. The only drawback is that they're through-hole which makes it a little annoying when designing an amp meant for having components only on one side and the reverse full ground plane thermal glued to a heatsink.

Last edited:
They are used in the amp10 from 41hz. The only drawback is that they're through-hole which makes it a little annoying when designing an amp meant for having components only on one side and the reverse full ground plane thermal glued to a heatsink.

Luckily the physical size of the inductor is such that by bending a small foot on each lead enables the inductor to fit perfectly on this board. Wasn't sure they would fit, but they fit quite nicely.