TPA3116D2 Amp

It works great as a preamp with ability to drive 2 volts - enough to clip most amplifiers.

Be aware that max output of minidsp 2x4 unbalanced is 0.9V.

You should check what is the input sentivity of TPA to make sure you can fully drive it.

Digital volume control is Great as long as you keep the pot above 12 o'clock, thats because with digital attenuation you are loosing bits - resolution.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Be aware that max output of minidsp 2x4 unbalanced is 0.9V.
With the 26dB gain on the 3116, I can definitely drive my 91 dB efficient speakers to loud, almost un-tolerable levels of volume with a 19 volt smps. More than enough oomph IMO. I have not had an issue with low resolution volume control due to bit loss of the volume knob ADC.

question for X, apologies if this comes across as a PITA,
but the link in post 2273 sez gain is set at 36 dB,
was this a typo on their part or did you replace a couple resistors to get 26 dB gain?

Also curious whether PLIMIT has been set on these boards,
the illustration on p16 of the TPA3116 datasheet makes it look like a fairly hard clip
when it's activated, and my presumption was that a lower gain setting
might leave enough headroom to simply avoid that possibility.

Any thoughts/experience regarding this greatly appreciated in advance,
Quard

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
question for X, apologies if this comes across as a PITA,
but the link in post 2273 sez gain is set at 36 dB,
was this a typo on their part or did you replace a couple resistors to get 26 dB gain?

I guess I lucked out, mine actually shipped with 26 dB gain despite what the specs say. It also has a blue PCB and not green. I looked at the two gain resistors and indeed they are 20k and 100k per Table 1 in the TI spec sheet. It also sounds the same loudness as my previous homebuilt TPA3116 which is what I was referring to when I said the miniDSP can drive my speakers to near intolerable levels.

Sorry this is all so new to me. The YJ with tone control is listed as having a max output of 2A. That's much less then any of the other 3116 boards I have been looking at. Is that something I should be concerned about or can you shed any light on why it's different?

TPA3116D Tone Adjustable 50W 50W Class D Completed Amplifier Board | eBay

I am in need of an amp that has tone controls for a portable B652 set up I'm working on.
Thanks, Mike
T2oIw5XmNXXXXXXXXX_!!90439224-800x800_0.jpg

YES! PS high freq SM caps as close to chip as possible! Even under the heatsink!

View attachment 407360

Any other place to get these?

TPA3116Êý×ÖС¹¦·Å°å12V ´ó¹¦ÂʳÉÆ·°å/´ø¿ª¹ØµçλÆ÷/²¢½Óµ¥ÉùµÀ-ÌÔ±¦Íø

I search Aliexpress and could not find this one on sale. I did not search EBay but I doubt it is available there. Taobao is the only place where it is being sold now. I guess you have to use one of those TB agents. I am thinking of getting this one too.

Regards,

I bought mine here: Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Free Shipping! 1pc TPA3116 Class D digital amplifier 50W +50 W with Silent Sleep Design

But unless you are prepared for 2 month wait, not advised. It is a very good price for the quality of the board though. No problems so far, the inductors seem good as they do not even run warm at all. Great heatsinks too.

I recently shipped something to China with first class mail and it cost more than this amp (free shipping). So you have to take it for what it is...

Edit: oops, I see you were talking about different amp...

xrk,

Agreed. This is excellent price!!

Regards,

I don't think so.
The hotlink isn't working but if you search 161104063365 on ebay it will pull up the board.

In the description:

Work: D Class

Quiescent Current: 65mA

Efficiency: 90%

Rated output power: 2 * 50W

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20KHz

Working voltage: DC18V to DC24V

Maximum output current: 2A

PCB size: 70 * 105MM

Potentiometer functions (from left to right): Volume Bass Treble

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I don't think so.
The hotlink isn't working but if you search 161104063365 on ebay it will pull up the board.

In the description:

Work: D Class

Quiescent Current: 65mA

Efficiency: 90%

Rated output power: 2 * 50W

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20KHz

Working voltage: DC18V to DC24V

Maximum output current: 2A

PCB size: 70 * 105MM

Potentiometer functions (from left to right): Volume Bass Treble

That is just wrong unless they are basing it on the max rating of their inductor - go with the specs on TI's spec sheet. With a 24 v supply and 4 ohm speakers, and assuming you can drive up to say 0.8x of supply voltage that gives almost 5 amps. Assuming you have a 5 amp capable power supply.

If you want to drive the Dayton B652's you have more than enough power with this amp.

I bought mine here: Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is Free Shipping! 1pc TPA3116 Class D digital amplifier 50W +50 W with Silent Sleep Design

But unless you are prepared for 2 month wait, not advised. It is a very good price for the quality of the board though. No problems so far, the inductors seem good as they do not even run warm at all. Great heatsinks too.

I recently shipped something to China with first class mail and it cost more than this amp (free shipping). So you have to take it for what it is...

Edit: oops, I see you were talking about different amp...

Yep I was talking about that new Taobao one. But for the price you got yours, I might buy this one too! So you had to wait 2 months? I will not buy from sellers with 0 feedback, I guess this seller is alright since you got your board despite the long wait? This version seems well done as well with the removable green plugs and smd components, seems neat and tidy.

I search Aliexpress and could not find this one on sale. I did not search EBay but I doubt it is available there. Taobao is the only place where it is being sold now. I guess you have to use one of those TB agents. I am thinking of getting this one too.

Regards,

Let me know how it goes and I'll follow suit, want the 2.1 taobao version. I'll also likely go with the green 2.0 one xrk linked for 14 bucks, thats a great deal.