TPA3116 amplifier power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The reason I asked is because after rectification, the output voltage will be about 26.6 V (19 x 1.414) , which slightly exceeds the recommended voltage. Although the amp is highly efficient, 2 A may be a bit low IMHO. A number of the vendors recommend 5 A. It depends how demanding your speakers are. I have used a 24V 1.9 A SMPS and under typical listening level, it worked fine.

on a 8ohm/19v speakers.. I arrive at 22.5w max ..meaning at 19v there is a maximum 1.18A x stereo = 2.4a max

But as we know (and as above guys said) you are looking at a fraction of this...1/10 or 1/8 meaning that you arrive at 0.30a

Even at 1/3 (hi end solutions) you are at about 0.8a

Am I crazy or tpa3116 requires no more than 1A at 19v with a 8ohm speaker..

A single channel @ 19V supply and 8R load and 1% THD could produce about 21W output at somewhere near 92% efficiency. (read data sheet)

That is about 1.2A @ 19V.

Per channel.

So, 2.4A.

Or just don't turn it up very loud.

Just remember that your speakers are not exactly 8 ohms at all frequencies.

So a lot of people use a laptop supply at 18-19V at 4-5 A

Last edited:
Hi Doug ,

yes at 19v its 21w at 1% THD

But that is sine wave . Music is usually 20 to 40%(max) of continuous power rating (source)

So my understanding is that I can design the power source at 30% of that 21W.

Am I wrong ..

If you were using a battery your calculations would probably be OK.
The battery would be able to provide the "peaks" of power for (example) a 1 second bass note.

But a power supply (unless designed with a large capacitor bank) would not.

IMHO

:)

I bought a 2.1 channel 3116D2 circuit board with a stated voltage range of 12 to 25 Volts. It was described as "12V 24V for car". However it will not operate at all with less than 18 Volts. I initially tested using a 12V battery and 8 Ohm speakers, so I assume the cause was not insufficient current (Amperage) provided. I have since noticed that many similar boards do specify 15 or 18 Volts supply voltage minimum. My advice is to always take into account that the design implementation of the board is separate and discretionary from the chipset datasheet and recommended designs. Ebay suppliers may not provide a 100% accurate description of specs as I have discovered.

Hi, newbie here. Adding some ceiling speakers to a bathroom (using my Qualcomm Allplay SC-ALL1), picked 2x KEF Ci50 and bought a cheap Chinese amp TPA3116 amp to power them.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Breeze Audio HIFI 2.0 stereophonic digital power amplifier TPA 3116 High price material version 50WX2 from Reliable power subwoofer amplifier suppliers on Breeze Audio

Looking to find a suitable PSU for the 6ohm speakers.

The spec page says 10-30W to drive them

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/en/series_pdf/ci_spec_sheet.pdf

I have a few PSU here that seem suitable, all 12V. I have 2A, 3A and 3,3A.

I am now thinking that 2A @ 12V into a 6ohm speaker will be plenty. Is this correct? Thanks.

It'll certainly do the job.... Though there will be next to no bass and I'd have reservations about it being loud enough if the shower is also on.

There's the thorny question of where the amp and mains power supply will be located... The PSU and mains side stuff should not be in the room.

It'll certainly do the job.... Though there will be next to no bass and I'd have reservations about it being loud enough if the shower is also on.

There's the thorny question of where the amp and mains power supply will be located... The PSU and mains side stuff should not be in the room.

Long speaker cable to somewhere far away....

I did buy the KEF cans, which boost bass, and am going to try it before I cut holes... Just wanted to check I had a suitable PSU really.

What would move voltage or more amperage give me? more "ooomph"? (technical term)

More volts means the chip can produce closer to its stated power. There's an equation somewhere but I've lost it. :) ISTR that 5V input means a maximum output of around 1W!

Amps.... You need enough to accurately produce the waveforms to reproduce the sound on the speaker outputs. If you run out of amps I guess it starts sounding compressed and distorted.

I use an old laptop power brick at 16V and 3.2A-ish. It hasn't run out of urge yet. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.