• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TPA - USB Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to join the club of eager fans here :p

Pictures and progress we want! :D

Just don't forget to make the i2c header exportable and compatible with the other TP products, especially the Joshua Tree... If it had that I'd buy it even if it didn't support any audio output at all =)

// Olle

What would you want to control via the I2C header?

Russ posted on another thread that he is finalizing the AC2 as a control board for the DACs, Mux, Joshua Tree, etc. so that is the master.

This board ideally takes USB in and outputs S/PDIF or I2S and comes in at a reasonable price.

Cheers

Thomas

I would want to control a Joshua Tree.

I want OS controlled hardware volume, so that I can use generic USB gadgets ( Griffin Powermate for example ), smartphone app remote and manage volume.

If the AC2 can interface with the OS then sure, but otherwise it isn't especially interesting for me.

I mean, why reinvent the wheel with advanced remote controlling when you can buy a simple USB connected gadget that does exactly that, and at the same time allows you to have several of those at the same time?

That and of course a good USB->i2s/spdif interface =)

Now that's interesting, if the Joshua Tree does indeed work with generic USB -> I2C converters.

While I would obviously prefer to have everything inside a single box, fallback options are still nice if the TPA doesn't do it =)

Integrated however would allow me to use volume management in Windows too, for if I'm not mistaken Windows 7 still hates everything that has to do with multiple sound cards.

And even if it would not be possible even with reduced sampling rate, what about taking a TPA but change the firmware so that instead of sound output the only thing it does is forward the volume management through I2C?

I'd gladly pay for that, even if the solution is less than elegant and requires me to buy an extra TPA module to get it working alongside the primary module that outputs the sound.

// Olle

And even if it would not be possible even with reduced sampling rate, what about taking a TPA but change the firmware so that instead of sound output the only thing it does is forward the volume management through I2C?

I'd gladly pay for that, even if the solution is less than elegant and requires me to buy an extra TPA module to get it working alongside the primary module that outputs the sound.

// Olle
There are plenty of solutions out there, no need to "hunt flies with a cannon", as we say here.

Well, maybe the beauty of what Olle asked for isn't all clear then.

A USB audio device can have mutiple control points. In addition to just doing steaming of audio you can model a hardware volume control endpoint for that same device device.

If the device for the new USB controller would make that volume control information accessible to reach out from the controller via I2C to the DACs or a Yoshua tree then you could use the volume mixer in Windows to directly set the hardware.

You would also be able to change volume on the DAC directly via some other control mechanism and if the device model and driver are impemented correctly that would be reflected in Windows (or OSX for that matter) as well.

That would provide a very nice level of integration...

Cheers

Thomas

You mean volume control in Windows and on the device? I think I would prefer to set it at or after the DAC.
Brian,

What is discussed is connecting both I2S and I2C to the DAC over USB. With Windows' volume control of the audio device tied in it's device driver to the I2C interface, one is controlling the volume at the DAC.

Of course this can also be done in the PCs' playback software: if +/- are linked to functions that send the appropriate commands to a separate USB to I2C converter, one would get the exact same result. This would require one to have the source code of the player however.

Status
Not open for further replies.