Toroidal Prices spiking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm getting pinched too....

Power Cords have gone up, Teflon Wire has gone up
Transformers too...

I use to sell scrap transformers for .10 lb About a month
ago I got .40 lb

I'm told that because of the demand in CHINA and INDIA
that they can't keep enough in stock..

Today price of raw Copper was $3.05 Lb and Silver $13.95/Oz
So my Teflon wire cost won't be going down...

Steve @ Apex Jr.

True but if only the price of copper went up, I'd estimate a $5-9 increase in price of a Toroid that went for $65, not $30 more !!!

Afterall copper cost is a fraction of the cost of a finished and delivered (to US) Transformer.

I guess, it is being padded up by some horder.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, Than factor in Gas and Oil, Shipping brings a good portion
of the cost too... UPS is having another rate increase starting
this Jan 1st. Plus they add a fuel surcharge.

Steel has also gone up. Not to many plants left here in the
states and Steel is being processed overseas.

When I used to work at another Surplus store and Scrap
Yard we sold both Aluminum Breakage and Steel Breakage.
Those were instruments and chassis's made from those
metals. They went to Asia where they were taken apart
and melted down and sold back to the USA in ingot form.

Lots of variables to add to the cost.

Steve @ Apex Jr.

K-amps said:
True but if only the price of copper went up, I'd estimate a $5-9 increase in price of a Toroid that went for $65, not $30 more !!!

Afterall copper cost is a fraction of the cost of a finished and delivered (to US) Transformer.

I guess, it is being padded up by some horder.

Manufacturing costs are not passed on to the consumer at a 1:1 ratio. When you buy a retail product, typically, the cost of the materials to produce that product will be well under 10% of the retail price. Most of the price is profit, profit going to different places: manufacturer, distributor, marketing, middle men, and the store selling it.

If you buy some electronic thing at the store for say $150 then the actual "value" of the thing (cost of the materials + labor to produce it) is probably going to be less than $15.

Even if you buy "factory direct" from a local factory, the cost of materials + production labor is probably going to be no more than 25% with the rest of the cost being "overhead" (rent, energy costs, equipment costs, depreciation costs, R&D costs, CEO hyper-mega-inflated insanely evil huge greedy salary costs, etc) and the rest profit.

As a consumer, we might wish that if we pay $100 for something that most of that $100 was cost of materials + production labor, with a small portion going to profit, sadly, that's almost never the case. Most likely well over 75% of the cost is going to one greedy corporation or another paying fat management salaries and making disgustingly rich stock holders richer.

:rolleyes:

Oh, I just thought of a good example: computer chips. If you want to buy the latest greatest CPU it's going to cost you over $1,000. How much do the materials used (mostly sand) to make it cost? Probably less than $1. And not much labor either, as it's mostly all done by machines and they turn them out by the tens of thousands.

Thanks Mr. Samuelson. :)

So if the cost of materials is $15 and lets say copper is about $3 of it then the $30 increase represents a 1000% increase in the price of copper... and it has not, thus my theory of "padded prices" is more the cause and not wholly a copper effect.

As for the chip example... not very good one. In that case they need to recoup R&D costs for the design of the chip and tooling and manufacturing. The effect your are referring to is price skimming and that makes a lot of economic sense... alas in the case of Toroids... no such costs need to be sunk.

Plitron Pricing

Hi folks,

Just to let you know Plitron just quoted me two 400VA, 30-0-0-30Volt, same ones I purchased in July/August. The price, well it was the same!

The price $108.00 each with potted cores. 3-4 wks lead time.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Edit: That's Canadian Dollars, on par with Monopoly money.;)

Re: Plitron Pricing

TomWaits said:
Hi folks,

Just to let you know Plitron just quoted me two 400VA, 30-0-0-30Volt, same ones I purchased in July/August. The price, well it was the same!

The price $108.00 each with potted cores. 3-4 wks lead time.

Cheers,

Shawn.

Edit: That's Canadian Dollars, on par with Monopoly money.;)

Thats the Answer I was looking for !!

Now why are Chinese trafo prices going up? maybe it is not the copper prices :)

I only know of a few. The prodigy-pro forums, diyhifi, and headwize I go to. Audioasylum... too many audophools there... And head-fi, which used to be OK a while back but now is the bottom of a cesspool, no surprise with a cretinous imbecile like jude at its helm...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.