Torodial Tranformer Calculation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Let's be pragmatic.......

And put the safety issues aside for a minute...............

Anyone who has tried to build either a toroidal transformer or SMPS from scratch will soon realise why it is a lot easier to buy one.

Sure, you may not learn as much from not trying. Put in the end you will be a lot less frustrated.

Then......if you still want to try..............I'm sure that someone here will lecture you on all the safety issues. I supect that you will have lost interest before that discussion becomes necessary.

There a lots of things a DIYer can do, and learn a great deal from, that will be less angst filled.

Jocko

Re: BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Magura said:
sure, but isnt a DIY SMPS just a ticking bomb as well???

No, they're not. I've built about a dozen DIY SMPS. All of them running just fine. In fact, I've got an article accepted for publication on how build your own...

Magura said:
ive just never heard of anybody succesfully making a big smps that worked well. I would sure like one, but not if it means loads of smoke the first 10 attempts.

I need +28V 0 -28V 35A....according to what i know its not for kids.

Loads of smoke on the first attempt is possible. But after you figure out what you are doing... ...no smoke, just power. Nice, clean stable power. +-28 volts at 35 amps would be a walk in the park! You want that from AC, or a 12 volt battery?

Jocko Homo said:
Anyone who has tried to build either a toroidal transformer or SMPS from scratch will soon realise why it is a lot easier to buy one.

Sure, you may not learn as much from not trying. Put in the end you will be a lot less frustrated.

Then again, why not just buy a commercial amp. After all, we're just here building amps to learn more about them. There's no way we're going to actually use what we build! :) That would be unspeakable!

-Dan

That little CE sticker on all of the chineese made sh1t that floods our stores is worth less than the ink required to print it. All of the homemade gear I present to be placed on a shelf will have a grounded solid metal case. If there was a isolation breakdown, the only harm that would be done is a tripped circuit breaker.

If someone reconnects my houses power feed to a 4000v generator, I'm more concerned about those crappy little CE wall warts melting down and electricuting me while I'm on the phone or shaving something.

I wouldn't advise winding a torid because my time and patients are more valuable than the 8 year old malnurished chineese boy that works in the Avel Lindberg sweatshop handwinding 1000 VA toroids that he then puts a sh1tty little CE sticker on. (He makes a pretty nice little transfo for only $86.00 usd retail)

Not to knock our Chineese members. I've seen some of the links to chineese homemade gear. You guys make some fine stuff too. But you have know that some of your countrymen make some worthless sheit for export to the US. All with that crappy little CE sticker.

Yup, it's not my home-made stuff I worry about with its earthed metal enclosures and over-specified PSUs, it's everything else.

It seems common practice with commercial amps and CD players etc. to have no chassis earth and unprotected internal mains terminals! How can they get away with this?

How do they get away with it?..

Richard,

Unearthed equipment is catagorised as "Class 2".
One of the conditions to qualify as Class 2, is that the insulation of all components and conductors that are connected to the mains must conform to much higher standards than in Class 1 equipment. When I last checked, even the insulation of the wires to the power switch and transformer needed to have a double layer of insulation, where there was a possibility of physical contact to other parts.

Now try and be that rigorous with the primary of a home wound mains transformer!

Re: Re: BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

dkemppai said:

<No, they're not. I've built about a dozen DIY SMPS. All of them running just fine. In fact, I've got an article accepted for publication on how build your own...

A link for the article maybe ?????...as in pretty please.

<Loads of smoke on the first attempt is possible. But after you figure out what you are doing... ...no smoke, just power. Nice, clean stable power. +-28 volts at 35 amps would be a walk in the park! You want that from AC, or a 12 volt battery?

-Dan

I need it from mains 230v......im all ears :)

Magura

Re: Let's be pragmatic.......

Jocko Homo said:
And put the safety issues aside for a minute...............

Yeah, it's easy to buy an SMPS transformer if you are going to buy 600 of them.

As I have previously posted, the ARRL handbook has had for years an excellent article in their power supply section on crafting a high power SMPS -- you can take from this the techniques in winding your own iron. QEX had a very good, if some what discombubulated article on magnetics, managing heat etc. It does require a modest understanding of the physics and some skill with a four-function calculator , but it can be done.

True, but........

Some things are just more effort than they are worth.

You lay out your own PBCs, but when you need double-side with plated through holes........you get someone to make it.

And I don't know of anyone here who tries to make their own extrusion dies and pull heat sinks. Yeah.....I know not practical anyway....

Jocko

Double insulated toriod is easy. you wind your common magnet wire primary, then a layer of mylar tape, then your secondary. But I would still use a grounded metal inclosure to help shield from outside RF noise, good looks, and safety.

The crappy big box store stuff with the cute little CE stamp only double insulates the transfo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.