Topping amps...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kenny,

You are right --we approach the problem differently. All of my CD's are ripped to HD, along with any number of 24/88 and 24/96 downloads. The music player is Foobar2000, which converts everything to 32-bit floating point prior to applying DSP. EQ and volume control are applied and the results output as 24/96 to the DAC. The DAC I use most often is an M-Audio Ultra Trak Pro, although I will sometimes use a Dayton $39.95 DAC and I really can't tell the difference. The interconnects between the DAC and the TP-60 are my only extravagance -- silver in teflon. I thought I heard a difference once and I keep using them. Speaker wires are either 16ga 3-wire extension cords or 8-wire CAT5.

If you buy one of my commercial speakers, it will contain a BSC and possibly a zobel, but not my personal speakers. I do not use any passive components between the amp and the speakers. I don't need to. All of the EQ is done digitally -- Bass high-pass, BSC, treble contouring, the works.

Bob

Bob, you have a very nice setup. I'm going to dig into and look into setting up a system like yours.

Kenny

Bob, I loaded Foobar and had a cheap DAC that comes out of a USB and has a RCA input and output. Foobar saw my wife's iTunes list and I have been listening to the Fleetwood Mac The Dance she recorded off of my CD. Sounds nice. Playing with the equalizer and it works fine. Not a lot of volume even when turned up all the way. May be the DAC I'm using. Have the DAC going into the second input of the Topping TP-60.

Will do more playing with it. I'm using a ADS tech instant music 16-bit/48kHz unit.

Have any helpful hints? If this is way off topic of this tread. Let me know if I need to start another tread or take this off line.

Kenny

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.